BMW taking depositions for the R18 cruisers

Not ready for 4/5 years ?

Why do you think that ? I think it’s going on sale next year.

I actually really like the look of this. Quite understated and simple.

Doris will probably hate it :)

I've not seen this before.

I think it looks great. It needs to lose some of the chrome-it looks a bit 'Airfix' in places-but it's definitely getting there and SO much nicer than the RnineT range. (IMHO)

Like the OP I also had a deposit down on a V-Rod a year before I got it and I would happily do the same again for something that I really wanted.

Looking good BMW....:thumb2

Where do you deposit :D

It is sent from my phone. So fucking what?

I like the open rear drive shaft; should make it a lot easier to inspect and replace.:D

I like the engine concept, let’s just hope the lock bolt cannot drop into engagement while it's been ridden (when spring 36 snaps)

Not ready for 4/5 years ?

Comment was made by the blogger in the video. However Mottoradonline made this comment:

The first production model with the new Boxer comes in 2020. To quote a BMW quote: "Just as exciting is the fact that BMW will present a production bike in 2020, which is powered by the Big Boxer engine. If the appearance and handling of the Concept R 18 are anything like similar, the Cruiser fans can expect a very special treat. "So you can be curious.

And all the custom gear associated with the bike is launched this year.
For the first time I would consider a cruiser, seating position looks like on a normal R. Who knows maybe quality control may return.:augie

I like the engine concept, let’s just hope the lock bolt cannot drop into engagement while it's been ridden

“ Although the electronics are designed to prevent the system from engaging on the move, BMW has also incorporated a failsafe mechanical system – the shape of the pawls and holes mean that at speeds over 4km/h they won’t be able to drop into place, so there’s no chance of the transmission accidentally locking up on the move.”

I love the look of this concept but didn't want to openly admit it for fear of being branded ghay. I'm glad it's not just me, though I did give an HD a second glance the other day, so maybe there is something wrong with me.

“ Although the electronics are designed to prevent the system from engaging on the move, BMW has also incorporated a failsafe mechanical system – the shape of the pawls and holes mean that at speeds over 4km/h they won’t be able to drop into place, so there’s no chance of the transmission accidentally locking up on the move.”

What that means is the pawl will ride over the holes till you are 'nearly' stopped, then it will drop in and the back wheel will lock up like a bas*ard. This is BMW electonics we are talking about...

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/61665/its-definitely-coming-you-can-now-put-a-deposit-on-the-bmw-r18-cruiser-and-bag-one-for-its-2020-launch/

<According to the French BMW importer: “You can book your R18 and be the among the first to order. Book by leaving a deposit of 1000 Euro with your dealer and be among the first to have the bike delivered.”>

All well and good and, not wishing to turn this into a bmw bashing thread, having been 'one of the first' to have the 1200lc RT, I'm not sure I'd want to be one of the first ever again.

O come on, it was 2am and I was watching “A Star is Born” at the same time as I was researching the R18. Ps the film was crap...:blagblah:blagblah

The words "hole" and "digging a" spring to mind. :D :D :thumb

The words "hole" and "digging a" spring to mind. :D :D :thumb

Marriage is a two way avenue and sacrifices have to be made...:augie

Back to the original post. Can’t find the link to the French site:nenau

To be honest, I like the look of it, having had a few cruisers in the past and having a soft spot for them:comfort It sounded pretty good as well if the clip was anything to go by.
On the subject of the clip, one thing that struck me was the riding position. Anyone with knee "issues" is going to be very cramped, the boxer engine configuration hardly lends itself to forward control pegs :eek:

Back
Top Bottom