Slow Driving, Aragon

Websites like these have an annoying habit of closing, when the local tourist office changes. Anyone planning to use the routes some time in the future, might be well advised to copy them now.

Websites like these have an annoying habit of closing, when the local tourist office changes. Anyone planning to use the routes some time in the future, might be well advised to copy them now.

Much as they were there prior to those websites, the roads and places will still be there without the websites.
All anyone needs is a map and a bit of imagination.
It's the same globally. :augie

Much as they were there prior to those websites, the roads and places will still be there without the websites.
All anyone needs is a map and a bit of imagination.
It's the same globally. :augie

That’s very true. Though if someone, in this case a tourist office, has gone to the trouble to create them, you might as well have a look at them to see if they are of any interest, surely? Michelin’s Green Guides and books like Rough Guide to...., still sell in their thousands. That being said, some bods on this site can’t be arsed to even try and don’t own a map.

Of all of the provinces I visited, Aragon had the roads in the worst state of repair. Slow driving is the only possibility.

They do have an improvement programme in hand but if you get on the quieter roads like the A1205 south of Jaca you may loosen some fillings.

Some great scenery though with lots of interlinking valleys and roads around or through canyons.

Wow thanks for this, you've solved a little problem, namely where to go for a couple of days I have free next week taking advantage of the fantastic weather report. I love Aragón and spend weeks, sometimes months there every year I actually live just twenty kms from the frontier between Aragón and Catalonia :), but I keep skipping the Moncayo mountain range for some reason. So, if the good lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, that's where I'm heading!

Interesting points about the 'lifespan' of web pages. I agree that there's a risk of it going but not for a while yet as it 'belongs' to the Aragón government's tourist authority, which takes its promotions seriously as the region has a big problem of rural decline in both its economy and population, so shed loads of dosh gets spent and, looking at teh site, spend very well! :)

Regs

Simon

Wow thanks for this, you've solved a little problem, namely where to go for a couple of days I have free next week taking advantage of the fantastic weather report. I love Aragón and spend weeks, sometimes months there every year I actually live just twenty kms from the frontier between Aragón and Catalonia :), but I keep skipping the Moncayo mountain range for some reason. So, if the good lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, that's where I'm heading!

Interesting points about the 'lifespan' of web pages. I agree that there's a risk of it going but not for a while yet as it 'belongs' to the Aragón government's tourist authority, which takes its promotions seriously as the region has a big problem of rural decline in both its economy and population, so shed loads of dosh gets spent and, looking at teh site, spend very well! :)

Regs

Simon

and just to prove a point - here's the Aragon border with C-y-L in Moncayo - just compare the road surfaces https://goo.gl/maps/emVq4AJN7aqhtPLJ7

Great set of routes for an area that I recon is just about as good as spain gets.
Thank you very much - I have downloaded them as PDF and will print off and let the wife navigate

and just to prove a point - here's the Aragon border with C-y-L in Moncayo - just compare the road surfaces https://goo.gl/maps/emVq4AJN7aqhtPLJ7

Ha ha, well done! But to be fair you will always see differences in road surfaces at borders between provinces, let alone regions, and I could show you plenty of crap surfaces in Castilla y León as well as just about everywhere else - note that the side road, still in Aragón, appears to be in tip-top condition. Given that the surfaces have to withstand temperature variation from +40º to -20º (and often up to 25º variation in a single day in summer!) it's no surprise that the schedule of resurfacing exeeds the ability of the Conservatción to keep up sometimes ...

Great set of routes for an area that I recon is just about as good as spain gets.
Thank you very much - I have downloaded them as PDF and will print off and let the wife navigate

That's the spirit Mick. Are you still bombing up and down each year?

So, I've found my digs and booked for Wednesday night at Tarazona. Traveling light and with plenty of time to ride around Moncayo both outbound and homeward bound. I know Tarazona a bit but never stayed there, it's a jewel and although there is cheaper accommodation this hostal looks amazing! Maybe one for your list Mick? :)

Simon

Thank you!

Thanks for posting this.

Just perfect for me, as when in France I'm only 2 hours from the Spanish border. Looking forward to following some of these routes from April when I (virus permitting) get down there on my new 1250.

This is why this site is probably one of the best on the 'net, despite all the backbiting and mutual slagging off which goes on in the background. Still, even that can be very amusing to watch... :)

Thanks for posting this.

This is why this site is probably one of the best on the 'net, despite all the backbiting and mutual slagging off which goes on in the background. Still, even that can be very amusing to watch... :)

Ha ha ha - load of old tossers after all!

Well, that's the room confirmed and my tour route of the Moncayo modified, including a what is probably a short trail section. I set off early doors on Wednesday, cross the Monegros desert region and should be at the start by about midday.

screen-shot-2020-03-08-at-08.22.08.png

Thursday morning I can either revisit or, preferably, head home via the Bardenas trail route from the Spain TET and then a blast along the Pyrenees, getting home to Tremp at about beer o' clock ... :)

Regs

Simon

Great find thanks.
Hey Simon, all being well, we are coming down through Spain at the beginning of September. I will PM you for some routes but Bardenas, Moncoyo and down to the Cuenca mountains, maybe via javalambre :thumb is looking good.
:beerjug:

Apologies, I was responding to the OP.

Ha ha, no need. I'll tell you anyway! :)

Great find thanks.
Hey Simon, all being well, we are coming down through Spain at the beginning of September. I will PM you for some routes but Bardenas, Moncoyo and down to the Cuenca mountains, maybe via javalambre :thumb is looking good.
:beerjug:

Hi Dermot, great to see you here and much better to see you and the lovely Amanda here in the flesh in September! :kissy2

Back
Top Bottom