XCountry Rebuild

essjay

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I picked up a 2008 (black) XCountry with 20k miles and plan to tidy it up over the winter. At this point I don't know how much of a "rebuild" I'll do but I'm planning the following at least as the bike is quite ratty looking and probably spend a lot of it's life outdoors.

Clutch cover fix
New gear lever
Change wheel bearings
Change swingarm bearings
Change head bearings?
Change hand levers
Replace brake lines with HEL ones
Front master cylinder gasket and cap (it's leaking)
WP forks (they were cheap enough)
Rebuild water pump/replace coolant? (Anyone ever tried an aftermarket electric pump?)
Replace both brake light microswitches (neither brakes switching on brake light)
Service items (oil, oil/air filters, spark plug)
Clean up the radiator (fan coming on within 5 minutes)
Maybe give the engine/starter a lick of paint
Fix the dashboard/clocks (right indicator LED and "SET" button broken)

Any other recommendations to change out while I'm doing the work? Fuel filter, fuel pump, ???? Chain and sprockets look recent so they should be ok. Has a new clutch cable.

Maybe down the line might add....
Windscreen (maybe an R80GS fairing?)
Leo Vince pipe
Hand guards
Rear rack
Aux fuel tank
Rear shock
Center stand
Maybe a LED H4 bulb (hearing good things about the F2 H4 bulbs) and/or replace with a 7" Hella headlight
Heated grips
and so on....

Be careful buggering about with your clocks (unless you know what you're doing)

The PCB can get wet which causes problems, in which case you can clean it up and spray with PCB laquer to protect (various threads on this).

The mode button is one of two microswitches, so that may just need freeing up.

Much more than that tread carefully; that circuitry controls your indicators so if they are working I would be tempted to leave well alone. There is no obvious replacement for the clock unit.

Be careful buggering about with your clocks (unless you know what you're doing)

The PCB can get wet which causes problems, in which case you can clean it up and spray with PCB laquer to protect (various threads on this).

The mode button is one of two microswitches, so that may just need freeing up.

Much more than that tread carefully; that circuitry controls your indicators so if they are working I would be tempted to leave well alone. There is no obvious replacement for the clock unit.

If the indicator tell tale LED's are not working on the dash I did find a company in Sheffield that can fix them . They sorted a malfunction on an XCountry dash panel I had :)

Company name is NOVA Electronics , 700-702 Attercliffe Rd, Sheffield S9 3RP

0114 244 7257

nova-electronics.co.uk

If the indicator tell tale LED's are not working on the dash I did find a company in Sheffield that can fix them . They sorted a malfunction on an XCountry dash panel I had :)

Company name is NOVA Electronics , 700-702 Attercliffe Rd, Sheffield S9 3RP

0114 244 7257

nova-electronics.co.uk

That's worth knowing John. Will keep a note. Ta

That's worth knowing John. Will keep a note. Ta

Gareth - they were extremely good . I took the panel to them and they fixed it within an hour and only charged £30 . I dealt with a guy called Steve Daykin

First job done: replaced the front brake microswitch that controls the brake light.

Rather than buying the part from BMW which was stupid money, I got this from eBay for under £2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230800798717

Cut and ground the centre pin, soldered some auto cable to the other pins and covered the lot with liquid electrical tape. A little bit of duct table to protect the sides from the weather. I used M2x12mm stainless button head bolts to attached to the metal plate. Not pretty but it works.

i-LmRpSrk-M.jpg
i-nkWRdM9-M.jpg
i-3Hk3Cpf-M.jpg

Have a look at the Scorpion exhaust before deciding. It isn't as loud as the leo Vince, but fits beautifully, and is UK made, near Ripley in Derbyshire. Saves just as much weight. Mine is stainless, they do other versions.

Attachments

• DSC_2179.web.jpg
    DSC_2179.web.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 390
I thought the LV exhaust was the quietest of the aftermarket ones. I'll take a look at Scorpion. I had them on my old DL1000 VStrom.

I thought the LV exhaust was the quietest of the aftermarket ones. I'll take a look at Scorpion. I had them on my old DL1000 VStrom.

The Leo Vince is supplied with a selection of baffles, including one with a US Forestry Approved Spark Arrestor. I've got the quietest one in mine, as the other ranged from slightly too loud to offensive.

The bike lift arrived last week and so I've managed to get a better look at the state of the bike

Attachments

• 20191102_213747.jpg
    20191102_213747.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 281
Quite wet and oily under the bike. I can't see a max level on the coolant so don't know if that's too low. I'll be doing the pump anyway as a precaution and replacing the coolant.

Attachments

• 20191102_103259.jpg
    20191102_103259.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 20191102_104303.jpg
    20191102_104303.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 215
The paint is in bad shape all around the bike really.

Attachments

• 20191102_102948.jpg
    20191102_102948.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 20191102_102952.jpg
    20191102_102952.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191102_103018.jpg
    20191102_103018.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 20191102_103031.jpg
    20191102_103031.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 211
I wouldn't be surprised if this is an ex-BMW Off Road School bike judging by the scrapes and state of the bike in general considering it's only done 20,000 miles. The wheel rims look pebble dashed.

Most of the pics look normal (ish) for a bike used on the trails.
Only one of slight concern for me is the oily engine one. I have had similar. Check the tension on the side case to crank case bolts. I have had a couple of engines where they have been a little loose, and the oil weep stopped when i tightened them.

Back
Top Bottom