1290 sa brakes

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from a week in France and Italy - the 1290 is bloody brilliant if you get a bit of space. Even did 20 or so miles off-road into the Canyon du Verdon - I was pretty nervous at first but started upping the pace and got some air a couple of times

but - the brakes seem to lack initial bike and need a hearty pull to slow things down quickly. Is this due to off road pretensions? Pads are fine and fluid is new

also, I get through rears at an alarming rate. I saw off a nearly new set, and half wore out the replacements in 2 days of Alpine hooning, I suspect due to controlling speed through hairpins using the rear. I get about 5000 miles a set in UK.

any ideas?

thanks

charlie

i swapped mine out for SBS RS pads, made a world of difference. stock pads arent the best even though they are technically Brembo

I am back from Alps myself not long ago and in 10 days my rear tyre is on the limit or at least very close to it. My front tyre is fine on a central belt for a good few thousand miles but it is toast as far as cornering goes.

Bike done shy of 5600 miles and tyres are OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.

Brakes are a bit vague I must admit, and found GSA brakes had a better initial bite. But as it has been mentioned, change of pads can change this. I am yet to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am back from Alps myself not long ago and in 10 days my rear tyre is on the limit or at least very close to it. My front tyre is fine on a central belt for a good few thousand miles but it is toast as far as cornering goes.

Bike done shy of 5600 miles and tyres are OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.

Brakes are a bit vague I must admit, and found GSA brakes had a better initial bite. But as it has been mentioned, change of pads can change this. I am yet to do so.

We’re talking about brakes, yer daft bat! :D

I initially found the brakes on my 1290 nowhere near as good as my LC GS’s, however, the linked brake bias isn’t set up the same. I now find that by using the rear at the same time as the front, the brakes are actually rather good.

We’re talking about brakes, yer daft bat! :D

I initially found the brakes on my 1290 nowhere near as good as my LC GS’s, however, the linked brake bias isn’t set up the same. I now find that by using the rear at the same time as the front, the brakes are actually rather good.

This fella is talk king about tyres to, in a separate thread. I can’t be dealing with two threads, so suck it up

I’ve had a few squirrelly moments while using both brakes at same time. Call it overcooked it on the rear. But it does work.

Hi Ev - similar observations on brakes. I changed to EBC pads, it didn’t make much difference to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed,lees initial bite but ultimately very powerful. Personally I, just, prefer it as they have far better feel off road.

Andres

Planned to fit SBS Pads to my 1190 but never got around to it, might get some for the 1290 for next season.

I too just got back from France. I liked the braked better than my GS imo...

Do the linked brakes work in a similar fashion to the GS.........pull from break and the bike uses the rear brake...........or does the KTM only apply the rear in emergency situations??

I took a SAT for a test ride recently and I actually thought the brakes where faulty!! (I was only using the front out of BMW habit)

Sent from a U11

Planned to fit SBS Pads to my 1190 but never got around to it, might get some for the 1290 for next season.

Not all SBS pads are the same.
Ideally need to be the RS variants for best performance, it made a huge difference for me.

Do the linked brakes work in a similar fashion to the GS.........pull from break and the bike uses the rear brake...........or does the KTM only apply the rear in emergency situations??

I took a SAT for a test ride recently and I actually thought the brakes where faulty!! (I was only using the front out of BMW habit)

Sent from a U11

I thought the same when I got my first 1290, as I also only use the front brake, but once you adjust, and use your rear brake at the same time, they’re quite good.

Back
Top Bottom