Triumph Adventure Centre - Gravel Tour

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
After deciding life is too short and because I loved doing the level 1 Triumph Adventure Centre training in Wales in July and level 2 in September I've now booked on their 2 day Gravel tour in Wales. I am spending some savings doing this, and so far I would say its been great value for money.

I'm really enjoying learning a new skill (at the grand old age of 49), and looking forward to 2 days of just practicing on their excellent Tiger 800 XCA's. The bikes amaze me in what they are capable of and Im pretty much decided that the Ducati will go (899 Panigale with 33K on it) and I'll change it to the updated Tiger due out at EICMA.

Level 1 training post

Level 2 training post

Why didn't I do the BMW ORS ? Purely as I was thinking about a 'middleweight' bike and fancied the idea of going British. I think the BMW GS 1250 is head and shoulders above the Tiger 1200 but think the Tiger 800 and BMW 850 would be a much closer call.

48701260806_0aaa80a95e_z.jpg

I've found a lovely quiet B&B just out of the town of Ystradgynlais (https://cwtchfarm.co.uk/) and there are two friendly collies that will search for attention (below is me trying to have breakfast).

48823258067_b460919fe5_z.jpg

Highly recommended.

RBW.

Brilliant. Good to see someone going a different route to the BMW ORS :beerjug:

Thanks @DaveyB , video of me trying out my new X-Tour helmet. (This was steeper than it looks in the video and mostly rock which was interesting to ride over :help ).

We did come across the BMW ORS a couple of times (they seemed to be avoiding the harder trails :D). I did see one of their guys smoothly ride a GSA up a steep rock covered climb without him or the bike breaking out in a sweat (I was crapping myself about this particular climb - but managed it with lots of whooping once I got to the top). In fairness he did say he had done it more than 100 times, but the way the GSA went up it at almost tickover was amazing.

RBW.

It’s a great feeling to ride a motorcycle off road, that picture of the Scrambler emerging from the murky water is ace.

You're not wrong @Trekker3, I'm genuinely stunned about what quite heavy adventure bikes can do off-road given a relative small amount of ability (I had never ridden off road before doing the level 1 and 2 courses this year), and in more capable hands they are even better.

There was a huge boulder at the point you can see the Scrambler exiting, which was really difficult to get any grip on as the back wheel just spun when you applied the power. On one deep water crossing the instructor asked me if I wanted to try it, and then mentioned that the bike is unrecoverable if I dropped it in the deep water - nothing like a bit of encouragement !

RBW.

It’s a great feeling to ride a motorcycle off road, that picture of the Scrambler emerging from the murky water is ace.

I’ve posted this on your second thread but....how did the Scramblers cope compared to the Tiger?

Absolutely fine, but looking a bit cooler in the process. I got roosted at one point by the Scrambler with loose stones and it was all I could do to duck behind the Tiger screen. The bikes are never the limiting factor. Interestingly the 2020 Tiger 900 goes with Showa forks (rather than WP in the current Tiger 800) as per the Scrambler, so will be interesting to see if any difference noted.

They do do experience days if you want to try one (just google triumph experience days).

RBW.

Back
Top Bottom