1290 sa tyres

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
my Scorpions are knackered - second set at 15,000 miles

I've been happy enough with them and they seem to give decent life but any other recommendations? - I'm considering Michelin Road 5's

Conti Road Attack 3’s, unless you’re planning on light off road, then go for the trail version.

My Scorpions started to wear funny. Conti TA’s never did. I’m not good enough to find the limits on either tyre tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only did 500 running in miles on my Scorpions, they seemed to be wearing very quickly and I did not fully trust them to make the 3k or so I needed to complete my first tour of the year.

Fitted Road 5's, a thread here somewhere about it, but they left me with mixed feelings, great at home wet or dry, seem to be lasting at least as well as any other tyre I have used on my 1090 / 1190 / 1290 in the last few years.

The fly in the ointment is they feel "odd" to me when I press on a bit, I think it is where the profile and compounds change to the last slick edge part, they go a bit vague feeling which puts me off leaning further.

At home I don't have the wonderful well surfaced never ending curves to get to this point easily, but in the Alps / Pyrenees / Ardennes this year they often left me lacking confidence when trying to push, on the occasions where I had to lean a bit more due to misjudging a corner they seemed to grip fine - but always shit me up as they went over that step and felt as if they were going to let go.

Searching the interweb I am not alone in this feeling, some people have the same problem and others don't - and if you have 2 inches of unscrubbed edge on your current tyres you probably won't ever get to this point, and if your able to scrub your Pirrelli's to the very edge you probably have enough skill / bravado to feel the tyre better / not care.

I will re-fit the OE tyres soon and use them through to next spring, at which point I will fit Road Attack 3's as they seem to suit 99% of riders very well.

I had 2 sets of TA2's on my 1190 and they had the best wear rate and grip of any of the ones I tried, including Avon Trailriders and Scorpion II's. I've gone for the TA3's on my 790 as they don't do a Road Attack in a 21" front. Have gone to the edges on the rear no probs and have great feel in the wet. That's probably the biggest difference I've noticed - I can make better progress in the wet as I've got more confidence in what the front's doing.

Had both Conti RA3' & TA3's.....like them both, excellent performance in wet & dry.....if I had to pick 1, it would be the TA3 as i reckon they will wear better (just my opinion). :D

I just got back from a trip down to the Pyrenees on my 1290 SAT, shod with PR5’s and found them to be excellent. Got close ish to the edge of the tyre and to me they felt pretty solid. Not sure I’d want to try getting to the edge as they are a pretty steep profile. Wear was good over 2400miles but tried to stay off motorways as much as poss. Only had one wet ride but again felt stable. Overall I liked them. Had Metzeler 01’s previously but on other bikes and they are almost as good imo.

Loving the 1290, so much better than the GS.....first longer trip on it since I got it and it did it all very well...:bounce1:okay

Okay - looks like conti trail attack or the Pirelli Scorpions again. Interestingly they can top 2 in a Fast Bikes test - with the Pirelli’s nudging it. Any more views?

Thanks

The Scorpions came top in a Ride Magazine test last month, but this was only for "Trail" tyres, but I cannot see there is much in it between tyres like the Trail Attack and Road Attacks, or the Scorpions and Angels, maybe the road tyres have a smidge more Land / Sea ratio, but I expect it is the exact same rubber.

When you say ‘Scorpions’ are you talking about the Trail2s or Rally STRs ?
You don’t say which 1290 you have.

I was so impressed with the STRs on my ATAS that I fitted them to my 790R as well.They are the best ‘dual purpose’ tyre I’ve ever used. Much better feel and grip than the Conti TA2s that were my default tyre for many years on bikes with 21/18 wheels.

it's a 1290 sas - roadie one - and I'm talking about Scorpion Trail 2's....

I wouldn’t bother with whatever Scorpions come as standard on the SAS, as the tread started peeling off mine on my 2017 bike.

I’ve had the standard Scorps, Mertzler roadtec1’s, Michelin Road 5’s and the Conti Road Attacks 3’s.

Conti definitely top, followed by the Metzlers, don’t bother with the others

The pilots rd5s have worked superbly on my SA - recommended!

Back
Top Bottom