Battery powered heated Jacket

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, help please. I was looking to replace my old heated jacket and see there are lots of battery powered alternatives although these seem to be mainly vests not jackets. Does anyone one on here use a battery rather than m/c powered jacket and if so which makes would you please recommend.
Many thanks for any advice.

I got a present of a aeg heated jacket which has a battery in it. Although not designed for motorcycle use I dread to think the damage the battery could do to me in a crash. JJH

I use a keis bodywarmer - very good - but buy a snug fitting one!

I use it on 12v supply from the bike. I regard the battery option as being more a 'force multiplier' in that
i can double the jacket usage by using it with battery for chilly winter outdoor events of apprx 3Hrs duration

I use a keis bodywarmer - very good - but buy a snug fitting one!

I use it on 12v supply from the bike. I regard the battery option as being more a 'force multiplier' in that
i can double the jacket usage by using it with battery for chilly winter outdoor events of apprx 3Hrs duration

Thanks but do you use the body warmer as an alternative to the jacket liner or use both. Cheers

In theory you can use a Keis heated jacket, but you'd need a super powerful battery otherwise the power would drain the battery too quickly. Currently you can use a Keis heated battery with the jacket, but it'd run out in probab;y under 30 minutes so it's pointless. Not sure if thee are any alternative battery options which are better, never looked into it. If not, the V501 vest works perfect, just doesn't have the sleeves/collar section.

I power my kies vest off the bike with one of these: ZHY Portable Charger 10000mAh... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FF8PRZF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It runs for a few hours which is typically long enough. I do have a larger capacity one which was sold as a mobile PSU for a laptop and lasts 6 hours.
The key is to find one that outputs 12v unlike mobile chargers which only give 5v.
You will also likely need to splice a new power lead as these tend to have a USB output. Easily achieved though.

If these vests are designed to be powered by a 5v supply what would be the likely result of applying 12v?

The kies vest (and any other vest that runs direct from a bike pigtail) is designed to work on 12v.

Thanks for all the advice. Went to try some on today but the dealer didn't have a great selection of sizes but I did get into a vest a size smaller than normal but they didn't have the jacket to try. I now understand the battery power vests vs the 12v vests and jackets and will probably leave the battery ones alone. Where I do struggle is I can understand that the heated jacket replaces the jackets std lining but if that's the case with the vest then there is less insulation along the arms and I'm wondering if they get cold?
Basically still confused lol

I used to wear a Keis vest, when commuting during the winter. It warms your core which in turn warms up your limbs. It was quite a revelation to me and I would recommend it. I'm not sure I would like heated sleeves!

Likewise, the vest makes a vast difference even to the hands. I don't want the bulk of arms inside my normal jacket to be honest.

I have a Keir’s jacket and it’s very efficient powered from the 12v supply. I would recommend a long sleeved base layer or similar as hot spots on a bare arm are uncomfortable. Make sure you get a controller as I rarely use mine on anything above low.

Where I do struggle is I can understand that the heated jacket replaces the jackets std lining but if that's the case with the vest then there is less insulation along the arms and I'm wondering if they get cold?
Basically still confused lol

Some folks run "hot" and need no more than a heated vest, while others run "cooler" and will go for a heated jacket. If using a heated jacket then most folks, myself included, would remove the quilted lining to give more room inside the sleeve. I guess it would be possible to run a heated vest with a quilted lining, but I've not tried.

Back
Top Bottom