Coolant Leak, or is this the norm?

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the bike on the ramp today to change the brake pads when I noticed this hole (see photo) with coolant around it. Is there something missing, or is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 973
nothing missing.. but I'd not say its normal...

The same thing happened to my Triple Black

The dealer had the bike for a couple of days due to the sealant they use needing to cure

Just keep an eye on your coolant tank level prior to having the work carried out :thumb2

These photographs may help.
Alan R

Attachments

• BEBBCFC0-46EE-4A28-AA2F-8C2F966CC329.jpg
    BEBBCFC0-46EE-4A28-AA2F-8C2F966CC329.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 944
  • B7160509-66A3-448E-AE1B-B9943D5A5752.jpg
    B7160509-66A3-448E-AE1B-B9943D5A5752.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 931
Thanks guys, i'll keep an eye on it, the coolant level is between min and max so i'll monitor it for now.

Mine leaked oil...it was 2 days old and had 50 miles on the clock:blast

My previous 1200 LC weeped about that much and Bmw replaced the pump under warranty.

Admittedly mine didn’t need to get pushed hard to start to weep, for others it was rare

I rejected a 1200 LC after 4 new water pumps in 5 months. But things have got better on newer machines

Is there a warning light that tells you the engine coolant is leaking on to the rear tyre ?

Is there a warning light that tells you that the engine is about to self destruct and dump oil all over your rear tyre?

The amount that comes out of that hole ain’t going to cause a problem to the rear tyre.

The amount that comes out of that hole ain’t going to cause a problem to the rear tyre.

We're not talking about a whole on the side of the engine. We're talking about a drain pipe under the bike

On the newer bikes they did away with the drain hole and it now drains through a pipe under the bike

You're not really an engineer are you ? :rolleyes:

It looks like a "tell tale hole" which pretty much relates to an internal fluid leak through a seal.

Back
Top Bottom