Coolant Leak, or is this the norm?

Had the bike out yesterday, cleaned the area around the hole before I left, checked when I returned and no sign of leakage and coolant level is still in spec, so will continue to monitor.

We're not talking about a whole on the side of the engine. We're talking about a drain pipe under the bike

You're not really an engineer are you ? :rolleyes:

I’m talking about the drain pipe and the amount that leaks out ain’t gonna cause much of an issue with the back tyre.

I have also just noticed coolant sputtering out of the same hole on my 2013LC. within an hour of making the call to the BMW Recovery helpline a mobile technician arrived to diagnose the fault. Very shortly after SOS motorcycle recovery were outside my house to take the bike away to a BMW dealer for the repair.
This is the first time I have had an issue with the bike and with service like that I have to say Bloody Amazing well done BMW :okay

I have also just noticed coolant sputtering out of the same hole on my 2013LC. within an hour of making the call to the BMW Recovery helpline a mobile technician arrived to diagnose the fault. Very shortly after SOS motorcycle recovery were outside my house to take the bike away to a BMW dealer for the repair.
This is the first time I have had an issue with the bike and with service like that I have to say Bloody Amazing well done BMW :okay

Ask them to put you in to a courtesy car. You are going to need something to get you to the dealership to pick up your bike as they will not deliver your repaired bike back ;)

You are a laughingstock to the true engineers on here who actually know what they are talking about :)

A true engineer would be able to answer the question instead of simply attacking the person. I have no idea who you are, but you certainly ain’t no Engineer because you clearly have no imagination and certainly no genius.

Ask them to put you in to a courtesy car. You are going to need something to get you to the dealership to pick up your bike as they will not deliver your repaired bike back ;)

I received a call from the dealer this morning saying the bike is with them awaiting the repair. I asked about the delivery of the bike back to my home following on from the repair and the lovely lady on the phone said of course we will that's all part of the BMW warranty.

The bike has been promised back to me within the next 3 days :thumb2

I received a call from the dealer this morning saying the bike is with them awaiting the repair. I asked about the delivery of the bike back to my home following on from the repair and the lovely lady on the phone said of course we will that's all part of the BMW warranty.

The bike has been promised back to me within the next 3 days :thumb2

That's good, but I have to say that I'm not surprised. When my local dealer rang me with a workshop booking date (for the fork recall work iirc), I was away. My son was home, but doesn't ride. No problem, they said, we'll collect. They came round, my son opened the garage and they took the bike, did the job, parked the bike back in my garage and even reconnected my ctek. Incidentally, I didn't buy the bike from them.
Some dealers are clearly better than others, but it's also about how you come across. There seem to be some who continually attack both BMW and their dealers and instantly assume the worst - I'd not be surprised to find this attitude is reflected back sometimes.

A true engineer would be able to answer the question instead of simply attacking the person. I have no idea who you are, but you certainly ain’t no Engineer because you clearly have no imagination and certainly no genius.

Your comments quite rightly, regularly attract ridicule from many for good reason! - an intuitive engineer, you are not :)

Your comments quite rightly, regularly attract ridicule from many for good reason! - an intuitive engineer, you are not :)

Still no explanation as to why my comments on the weep hole being extended by a pipe to under the bike is not a problem - why no answer from you? because I was 100% correct.

My 2016 showed signed that it was leaking slightly through the weep hole, I kept an eye on it and the coolant level. At the service I mentioned it and said sometimes it leaks sometimes it doesn't and I was informed they would investigate. Since the service and several thousand miles it has not leaked again. Why not I have no idea as other than change the coolant I do not believe they did anything that would have resolved a faulty seal.

The water pump has a mechanical seal which requires a certain amount of water leakage to keep it lubricated, with out this it would over heat and fail. I do believe one half is ceramic disc the other graphite disc, the ceramic disc is stationary and the graphite disc rotates with the water pump, the two surfaces create a seal as one rotates around the other, all mechanical seals leak, but the amount they leak is normally so small that it is either not noticed or the liquid is "consumed" by the cooling of the seal. The weep hole is there to allow excess liquid out as well as to allow monitoring of the water seal, with out the weep hole pressure would build up and force the coolant past the oil seal and contaminate it.

I was loosing about a half a teaspoon of coolant at most during a long ride, but it now seems to have stopped, I do wonder if the seal bedded in as mine is still a very low mileage bike.

My 2016 showed signed that it was leaking slightly through the weep hole, I kept an eye on it and the coolant level. At the service I mentioned it and said sometimes it leaks sometimes it doesn't and I was informed they would investigate. Since the service and several thousand miles it has not leaked again. Why not I have no idea as other than change the coolant I do not believe they did anything that would have resolved a faulty seal.

The water pump has a mechanical seal which requires a certain amount of water leakage to keep it lubricated, with out this it would over heat and fail. I do believe one half is ceramic disc the other graphite disc, the ceramic disc is stationary and the graphite disc rotates with the water pump, the two surfaces create a seal as one rotates around the other, all mechanical seals leak, but the amount they leak is normally so small that it is either not noticed or the liquid is "consumed" by the cooling of the seal. The weep hole is there to allow excess liquid out as well as to allow monitoring of the water seal, with out the weep hole pressure would build up and force the coolant past the oil seal and contaminate it.

I was loosing about a half a teaspoon of coolant at most during a long ride, but it now seems to have stopped, I do wonder if the seal bedded in as mine is still a very low mileage bike.

That about sums it it up, it was never the big issue that some like to make out, sometimes people just worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom