Light(er) Trail bikes

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Considering adding to the garage in the form of a new trail bike. Currently run a Berg 390 which will be staying, but looking back at past rides the bikes I remember most fondly were light two strokes - Yam WR200 and Gas Gas EC 200. With that in mind I've been looking at what's available currently and am warming to one of Beta X Trainer, KTM Freeride (350/250F), Gas Gas Ranger - probably in that order.

Not bothered by range too much as I ride with Gasser 200's so 55 miles and they're hunting for fuel anyhow. I like the idea of a lower, lighter bike I can 'handle' confidently as opposed to a full on enduro on stilts. Will be lent to my lad too so friendly power delivery a plus..

Is anyone running one of the above? Thoughts, issues etc? Cheers..

Always the option of an MX'er thats road legal. - 100kg roughly.
250/450 within a few kg's of each other and always the option then to stick 17's on there for summer hooning.

KTM 250 EXC or a Beta 200 RR
Forget the Xtrainer or Freeride or owt else

WhyJB? My (limited) knowledge tells me they are enduro bikes with the power higher up the rev range and just as tall as I have now - or am I mistaken? Light, low grunty is what I want

WhyJB?

My (limited) knowledge tells me they are enduro bikes with the power higher up the rev range and just as tall as I have now - or am I mistaken?

Light, low grunty is what I want

EXC and RR have adjustable power valve springs - grunty thru to wild

Adjust the spring to Grunty

EXC and RR have far better suspension than the Freeride/Ranger and PottyTrainer

Gooner, I did a KTM last year. We had a 2 stroke 125, a 250 freeride and a 250exc 6 Day. The Exc was by far the best bike overall for a trailbike...IMHO. The freeride just lacked guts. Even by my very limited off road experience I could tell I'd be hacked off with it by the days end let alone as my own trail bike. The 2 stroke was too on/off. The EXC was perfect. Brilliant bike and so light. ( I don't own a trailbike or work for KTM)

I had a KTM 200 EXC, brilliant trail bike. Powervalve can be adjusted to give decent low end grunt while still having enough of a rush to make you smile. Only sold it to make way for the 525, as I wouldn't want to use the smoker laden with luggage for two weeks. I'm only 31" inside leg and didn't find it too tall, and it weighed next to nothing. Very capable bikes.
Mark

Low weight and height are the priority - probably means two smoke but not exclusively so. Seen a lowered 2014 250 EXC-F that’ll fit the bill but just realised that may breach the power/weight ratio for an A2 licence holder

Thanks for the knowledge shared :thumby: Still looking, budget around £1500 currently (yes I know that's different to original post - decided spending less would be more sensible given a learner will be throwing it over hedges).
Taken a look at an old (2004) but good Gas Gas EC200 but at £1600...not sure. There are some right old nails out there at this price :eek:

There is an xr250 for sale on here within your budget great trail bike and light.. I'm about 5' 10" and a regular trouser length and don't have too much trouble as the suspension squashes freely.

Your welcome to come and have a go on it...no obligation. There is only one gnarly rocky lane about 15 minutes away so you'd be limited to tarmac.

There is an xr250 for sale on here within your budget great trail bike and light.. I'm about 5' 10" and a regular trouser length and don't have too much trouble as the suspension squashes freely.

Your welcome to come and have a go on it...no obligation. There is only one gnarly rocky lane about 15 minutes away so you'd be limited to tarmac.

Thanks blue but....knock a 1 off

Back
Top Bottom