Service

I personally would stick with a main dealer whilst in the warranty period.

As I understand it (and I stand to be corrected) the notion that you do not have to use authorised dealers for servicing is based on a law called EU Block Exemption. Unfortunately this did not apply to motorcycles although this

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/

is an interesting read.

Even if the EU Block Exemption does apply, will it if/when we leave the EU

Mike

+1

I didn't realise until last year that block exemption only relates to cars and that adds incentive to keep a good relationship with your bike dealership whilst within warranty periods.

I always service my own bikes once they're past about 5 years old, all bar the big services. What I save on interim servicing myself pays for the larger one and means I don't have to get my hands dirty. I think these days, buying a new or nearly new bike within warranty, servicing it yourself and it then developing a fault leaves you open to legally having to prove that the fault was in a manufactured part and not in anything you did. You have to have deep pockets to fight that sort of thing.

Another view I have if like me, you're lucky to have such a good dealership on your doorstep (such as Cotswold in my case) and wish to continue to enjoy that benefit, then you have to realise that they rely on servicing and clothing sales to make most of their profits. As they provide good service, I would like to keep that relationship as it could work in my favour down the line, building a good relationship. I've had a similar experience with Lexus and whilst I could save cash taking my car to a local mechanic I use Lexus who have been first rate in looking after the car and my interests in it. By contrast, I previously went through three local car garages after finding post service issues (and damage in one case) to my cars. You're far less likely to get problems resolved to your satisfaction at a local car/bike workshop has almost always been my experience.

Once the bike is out of warranty, I would leave it a year then start my own service regime.

Billy, despite me recommending Paul @ York, I'd also stick with the main dealer for the first couple of years. The 'good will' side of the warranty could save you a fortune if...or probably when, something needs sorting. Post warranty I'd use Paul every time

Yes i,m thinking the same. I might give them another try , it's just f...ing annoying.

Yes i,m thinking the same. I might give them another try , it's just f...ing annoying.

The 10 bays were full of warranty work last time I was over... maybe too busy mending the things and can't take service work in?
Mine had a software upgrade last weekend at said place... I need to get it back in as now the Alarm does not work. So even if you do get in... good luck with it being done right :augie

:forry:forry i've got it booked in lets hope it's ok. Were all the warranty jobs new 1250s ?

:forry:forry i've got it booked in lets hope it's ok. Were all the warranty jobs new 1250s ?

Most were.. either new cams or new engines ;) ... no, there was a mix but most were GS... a 1600 having a new box by the look of it.... good luck ;)

I won’t be going back there for similar reasons, didn’t return a call because they weren’t selling me something. Spent £48k on brand new bikes there since 2011 but after that bought my last one from oxford bmw so fuck em.

There is a good independent guy Preston area, someone may know his details.

His name is Roy Gardner RGM ar Croston 01772 683781 he’s done quite a bit of repair and servicing for me. Decent cafe and fishing lake just around the corner whilst he attends to you.

I just did my own 18000 mile service today, using genuine BMW Parts.

Cost me £88 :)
Don’t forget the free health check and video of them kicking ya tyres...:D:D:D:nenau

Attachments

• 80DF8A58-3825-4353-8147-D55CD01877DF.jpg
    80DF8A58-3825-4353-8147-D55CD01877DF.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 38C53EDD-394A-4369-B00A-98A554F9193D.jpg
    38C53EDD-394A-4369-B00A-98A554F9193D.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 398
Thanks Beaver. I think if i go idy i'll try the york one just because I go that way quite i bit :thumb

If you're happy travelling to York, then consider Barrie Robson to maintain your BM service history whilst in warranty period. I have my GS serviced there, but not mentioned before as York quite a way compared to your other options

Williams in Manchester have 20% discount on all services carried out this coming week.

Had mine done very reasonably by Cotswold Motorrad yesterday. They did the poking about and quite usefully found some fault codes relating to some minor issues but reset everything for me. Couldn't have done that bit myself so happy to have taken it to them. Had a nice coffee there and got the opportunity to take out an S1000R Sport too. A worthwhile trip :D

Had mine done very reasonably by Cotswold Motorrad yesterday. They did the poking about and quite usefully found some fault codes relating to some minor issues but reset everything for me. Couldn't have done that bit myself so happy to have taken it to them. Had a nice coffee there and got the opportunity to take out an S1000R Sport too. A worthwhile trip :D

Yeah you can.

Buy an OBD2 LX reader (and adapter cable if not 2017 Euro4 bike)

Download the Motoscan Ultimate app to your smartphone.

Then you'll be able to do all that, read and reset fault codes, reset service indicator, reset and swap TPMS Sensors.... all sorts

That's how I do it.

1st annual and 6000 mile service carried out today at Williams in Manchester for a not too unreasonable £175. Their 20% discount for this week made a nice bonus :) They also have 30% of all stock clothing and accessories.

Back
Top Bottom