2014 mac book pro screen replacement / repair

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It was knocked off the table. far right of screen not working. I expect it'll get worse.

Anyone replaced one of these and how much to fix it?

:blast

Thanks Alan, thanks Squibb. Home insurance is happy enough to cover it. I've a E250 excess and I have just got a quote from an autorised Apple retailer for SIX HUNDRED EURO!!!!! That is what I paid for the laptop a year or so ago second hand. Anyway, I'm going to pay the excess and get it fixed. It's a very solid machine and has a good few years left in it. Seriously high price though eh? Six hundred euro.

Had mine done this time last year... £669.80 it cost.

If that's not enough to make you cry, I had just had a new screen fitted to it two months previous to that, free of charge under a recall!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 17.28.44.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 17.28.44.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 156
Is there any evidence of the screen delaminating? If so Apple we’re replacing them even out of warranty even if the screen had additional damage. I know you’re not the original owner but I’ve always found Apple to be very reasonable when considering repair of their items.

Is there any evidence of the screen delaminating? If so Apple we’re replacing them even out of warranty even if the screen had additional damage. I know you’re not the original owner but I’ve always found Apple to be very reasonable when considering repair of their items.

This. I had a MacBook Pro fixed for free even when two years out of warranty because of screen delamination. They changed the screen and also the entire top cover of the unit including the keyboard. I paid them £99 to put a new battery in there while they had it apart. It came back like a new machine. The only original parts were the bottom cover and the logic board!

Really? I suppose it worth a try. It's a five year old laptop. Yes the screen is delaminating.

Yup, mine's on screen No3.

Apple-It just works....:augie

Alas I don't think I'm covered. I bought the mac privately and didn't receive a purchase receipt from initial time of purchase. I've reached out to the lad who sold it to me but unless he has it, can give it to me and the date of purchase is within the last four years, I'm not covered. Maybe he will get back with details, seemed a decent chap but alas I'm back to square one. I might buy a second hand screen from an online shop. Seems to be a few doing the same sort of business model as motorworks. Still going to be 300 euro

Is that a unibody 13" (looks like from the pic).

With a bit more you can get a "fresher" used Mac to be fair. Might be worth it.

Yes it is. TO be honest, I really can't afford to get a fresher one. I've an engagment ring to buy, a two week holiday to Chicago in January, a house deposit to continue to build and a bike to service shortly. Plus a wedding to pay for at some point next year. I'm resolved to hoping it will not get much worse and using it with an external monitor. I'm looking forward to a couple of years time when everything is settled and I can start investing in toys again. Sigh.

I've an engagment ring to buy

My condolences :D

I'm resolved to hoping it will not get much worse and using it with an external monitor.

I was going to suggest to use it with an external monitor.
I send the very same laptop (had it resting in a drawer for a while) to my mom some months ago and she proceeded to destroy the screen, same way you did, within two days. They are using it with an external monitor for the time being.

If you use an external keyboard, you can keep it closed as well.

Masochist? That's going to be cold.

I know right?! We are going to a wedding. I'm looking forward to the cold. It's a different cold to our winters and some proper snow will be really nice. I've already bought a ski jacket that is designed to keep me warm between -10 to 0 degrees - with just a tshirt, so i expect with a cosy jumper etc, I'll be grand.

Ah how time moves on and things change in the blink of an eye. Broke my ankle, now not going to Chicago. Sigh.

In other news, I got my macbook pro screen fixed. Yay!
I bought a grade C screen from these folks https://www.thebookyard.com/

They are very nice and very efficient. I bought a kit off amazon to remove all the screws etc. Took me about an hour with an iFix guide that I found online.

I think the total price was something E270. I'm very happy with everything and it is lovely to have the mac back in action. https://www.thebookyard.com/ seems to be a bit like motorworks for macs, so if you are up to doing the work yourself, I highly recomend them.

Certainly a lot cheaper than the initial quotes I was getting.

Owen.

Back
Top Bottom