New noise on my Goldilocks bike !

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Coming back from the dealers today as they re-flashed my software last week to try and get rid of the pulsing (didn't work) but forgot to turn my alarm back on...
Anyway, crawling through traffic and then giving it a bit on acceleration, from 1K to maybe 2K, I'm getting what I can only describe as a big end noise, or rod slap??

Do they all do this LOL :anger

Could be pre ignition if they have altered the timing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell me about it... and the one before... and the one before that!... bloody things... I'm off out on it in 10 mins... try blow it up!

tell me about it... and the one before... and the one before that!... bloody things... I'm off out on it in 10 mins... try blow it up!

Thrash the tits off it and let whatever is wrong develop. Not good, probably bloody cams eating themselves, although i hope not :blast:(

Thrash the tits off it and let whatever is wrong develop. Not good, probably bloody cams eating themselves, although i hope not :blast:(

It had new cams when I bought it... then vibrations / pulsing developed.. and now this... just been out.. runs fine and it only does it when its hot like 95 area... its actualy around the 2.5K mark when passing standing traffic lets say and you give it a blip... could be anything from chain slap to piston slap, to big ends to even, maybe the throttle bodies... but does sound a bit hard for them.
Its colder this aft, so has not done it as much...
have tried to record it but phone went dead so will have to wait until it charges to see if I got it...
wonder if after a re-flash, things need to re-set?... but does sound a more mechanical sound IMO...

I will get a new engine in the end you know :yelrotflm

It had new cams when I bought it... then vibrations / pulsing developed.. and now this... just been out.. runs fine and it only does it when its hot like 95 area... its actualy around the 2.5K mark when passing standing traffic lets say and you give it a blip... could be anything from chain slap to piston slap, to big ends to even, maybe the throttle bodies... but does sound a bit hard for them.
Its colder this aft, so has not done it as much...
have tried to record it but phone went dead so will have to wait until it charges to see if I got it...
wonder if after a re-flash, things need to re-set?... but does sound a more mechanical sound IMO...

I will get a new engine in the end you know :yelrotflm

Yup im sure you will manage to blag one :p:blast:D

Could be pre ignition if they have altered the timing???

its a bit harsh for that... but guess my ECU has gone back to std settings... so will see if it adjusts... although new bikes don't do this (I'd guess?)

All very strange, it appears to of stopped doing it now? Maybe be it was a timing type issue ??

All very strange, it appears to of stopped doing it now? Maybe be it was a timing type issue ??

You need EARPLUGS and save half of these weird noise worries.

:D

You need EARPLUGS and save half of these weird noise worries.

:D

yes, but it was loud... even with plugs in?.. these things are strange?... had 3 now and never had that noise before ?? :nenau I know... just ride it :)

Ah, the old pulsing. They all do that, Sir.

FWIW, the brand-new R1250R (100 miles on the clock at start) I "tested" over 260 miles yesterday did it. In fourth, around 3.5K RPM. Stonking engine though!

No. its still there.. so the bits not snaped off yet... Got up early and had a ride to Brid this morning... did it twice... you need to be under 10 MPH in 1st and pull away quick... and 1 in 10 times it does it LOL... bloody thing

Not as bad as 2 speed vans out though at 7.00. whats up with e'm... one bike, 2 pheasants, a run over Badger and thats all I saw. Must be a very dangerous bit of road right where it goes from 60 to 30... even when no ones about??..

I’ve noticed that my 1250 has that rattle in the lower bowels of the engine. Doesn’t do it from start up only once warm.
I just stick my ear plugs in, crank up the music and enjoy the gem of an engine it is.

I’ve noticed that my 1250 has that rattle in the lower bowels of the engine. Doesn’t do it from start up only once warm.
I just stick my ear plugs in, crank up the music and enjoy the gem of an engine it is.

they are strange these engines... I'm not sure what it can be, but sounds like the rods clattering together on initial acceleration... not every time, but get it to do it, slow and it will do it again and again????.. who knows... will be out tomorrow... see if its developed anything else sitting in the garage :)

Yeah.
It appears to be coming from the bottom of the engine, in front of the ‘Y’ piece collector. Mine only does it when warm.

not a thing today, but didn't go that slow TBH and it was cold.. I get it overtaking standing cars and blipping past them... may have to wait until next summer now to get it to do it again ??

Let me know it you get a diagnosis ... are you getting them to look at it??

not a thing today, but didn't go that slow TBH and it was cold.. I get it overtaking standing cars and blipping past them... may have to wait until next summer now to get it to do it again ??

Let me know it you get a diagnosis ... are you getting them to look at it??

It’s now been diagnosed ! And it’s having both cylinder heads replaced. Something to do with value stem guides or similar, and only happens when fully warm.
Parts on back order. Can’t fault the dealer or after sales. As always they’ve been brilliant.

It’s now been diagnosed ! And it’s having both cylinder heads replaced. Something to do with value stem guides or similar, and only happens when fully warm.
Parts on back order. Can’t fault the dealer or after sales. As always they’ve been brilliant.

beaver is getting a new engine I bet. ;)

Back
Top Bottom