Retrofit OEM heated grips R1100GS

j0hnbarker

Reaction score
Morning All

I’ve got a mint 9k mile 95 GS that I’d like to add heated grips to. In all other respects the bike is totally original and I’ve gone to strenuous efforts to source OEM everything for this bike.

As new it didn’t come with heated grips and from reading here and elsewhere I’m a bit confused as to what I need to assemble to add the OEM grips...

My understanding is I will need:

Both grips

Securing screws

The switch

But, I also have read that I may need to replace the bars as they won’t be drilled to accept the wiring, replace the bar end inserts for similar reasons, and potentially swap the alternator for a higher rating.

Can someone please clarify exactly what’s needed please? Motorworks have the individual pieces listed at the top but I read BMW previously supplied a kit.

TIA

Did the same to my 99 1100gs when I had it fortunately the bars on it were already drilled look underneath and check first
Was an easy job with instructions that came with them
Be careful fitting throttle back on with clearance otherwise on full heat the throttle handgrip will seize up .

Thanks!

Where should I be looking to see if the holes are there? At the bar ends and closer to the yoke?

Thanks!

Where should I be looking to see if the holes are there? At the bar ends and closer to the yoke?

At the bends on the bar just near the handlebar clamps. It's not rocket science, just drill a 6mm hole in the bars.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like my bars are not pre-drilled to accept the grips. Rather than risk the integrity of the bar by drilling I’ll look to see if I can get some new OEM bars or failing that, a used set that I can have repainted so that everything looks minty.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like my bars are not pre-drilled to accept the grips. Rather than risk the integrity of the bar by drilling I’ll look to see if I can get some new OEM bars or failing that, a used set that I can have repainted so that everything looks minty.

The instructions that used to come with the heated grip kits stated that if the bars weren’t pre-drilled then to drill them with a 6mm drill and file the holes smooth with a needle file so the wiring wouldn’t get damaged.

Don't forget the plastic housing for the 4 pins (2 from each grip) to locate into so that you can plug it into the loom.

As Steptoe says it's perfectly ok to drill a hole, I've done two R's and a K like this.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Just to update this in case anyone else ever finds themselves in a similar position.

BMW did previously make a complete retrofit kit containing the bars, grips, switch, connector block and retaining screws. However, this has been discontinued as they stopped making the bars.

All the other parts are available through main dealers and Motorworks.

I tracked down a set of NOS bars in the US and have ordered all the bits from my local dealer. This wouldn’t be an economical solution on anything other than a mint low mileage bike. All in with duties the bits will be £400ish!

Back
Top Bottom