LAMPF! and LED indicators

alanb2

Reaction score
Hi there, hope somebody can help me out here with the following problem; 2012 GS Rallye with led indicators. Riding yesterday I notice that the LAMPF! symbol appeared in the dash. Stopped, expecting the headlight to have blown, but headlight, parking light and full beam all working ok. Turned off the ignition then on again and the symbol had disappeared. Carried on but a few minutes later it had re-appeared, went through the whole thing again this time put the left hand indicators on, all ok normal flash speed etc, but the right hand ones flashed the first flash at normal speed, then flashed so quickly it looked more like a flicker than an on/off flash. And the LAMPF! appeared again. When the hazard flashers are on, all 4 indicators work at normal speed. Have tried disconnecting the front indicator today but the rear one flashes quickly still. Battery all ok at 12.7 volts at rest and 14.6 at 2000 revs. Everythingelse working ok. Bit stumped here. Grateful for any help and thoughts, thanks in advance, Alan

might be a loose filament, bounces on and off contact when riding, my front pops far too often 4 bulbs I can think of in 30k
might be the LED failing quite common I believe (and silly money for genuine)

I had the Lampf warning yesterday and it just required an indicator bulb to be seated properly.

I had the Lampf warning yesterday and it just required an indicator bulb to be seated properly.

Thanks, mine are leds so no bulbs involved. I should have said that there is no information in the handbook, my Haynes manual or online - except an American website says you need a resistor for some cars, but nothing that I can find for GS's. Alan

If you disconnect the front and the rear flashes at about 2x normal rate, That's standard. Swap the fronts over and see if fault moves to other side. That'll eliminate or prove the indicator. If the fault goes away, you've a connector seating issue. If it stays on the same side, you've got a wiring or electronics issue.

LampF often daftly refers to the rear tail lamp ;)

I changed both headlamp bulbs on my GS when this message first appeared, only to have 2 good bulbs and the message still there

Because the sparks are controlled by the canbus syatem, and it has some intelligence lol. If one of the rear filaments in the stop/ taillight bulb fails,

The system reduces the brightness to the remaining filament by 50% then when you brake it takes it up to 100% giving you a stop & brake light

It was this that had failed and given me the lampF warning...

I have LED indicarors on my bike, but they have the resistory sparkery gubbins built into the motherboards

update

Hi, I've swapped the left hand front indicator for the right hand one and the fault is still there on the right hand side. So it seems that the indicator unit / flasher itself is ok, but whatever controls teh actual flash speed is wrong. Anybody got any ideas? as this is way above my electrical ability. Thanks Alan

can bus electrics can be an odd beast,
one thing would be to plug in diagnostics and see what's going on, based on that you'd likely have more of a clue
another would be to try a new indicator, the LED ones die frequently, I get you are saying you swapped "the good left" to the right side that's playing up and the fault remains on the right, so you don't think its the right indicator.... but I expect its one of them. Don't forget the back ones are part of the set up too, how are they working? What happens when you switch the hazards on (both indicator switches at the same time)?

Sometimes the vehicle knows there's a fault, but the diagnostic were built a bit too simple and it says front when its the back at fault. K1300's have this on the ABS sensors. Back one dies BM dealer tool tells them its the front.

The hazards work as they should do, but the LAMP F! symbol appears altho the actual indicators are flashing at the correct rate. I thought that there would be a make and break switch somewhere that causes the actual flashing speed, but can't find one in the wiring diagram in my Haynes. I'm beginning the suspect he actual handlebar switch - altho I cannot see how the switch would work with the hazards and not the indicators. Might try and get to my local bike shop this week to see if their diagnostics can find anything. Alan

Have you checked your rear stop lamp?

Yes, following your previous post I checked the rear lamp and pulled the brake lever and stood on the pedal, and everything is working ok. I tried all the permutations of indicators, lights, grips etc etc and it all stays as it's been for a week; right side indicators flashing at a high speed. I've not swapped over the rear indicators, that's the only thing I've not tried. Will try and get to the bike shop this week, hopefully all will be revealed! Thanks for your help, Alan

There is not a separate ( conventional ) flasher unit, this is carried out in the ZFE ( central electronics unit).
The fact that when exchanged the Led indicator seems ok I would suspect a wiring / connector fault.
My first check would be to see if a GS911 threw up any clues and next I would connect the Led indicator to pin 53 on the ZFE ( Back pin to the " feed to front RH indicator ") and battery Negative.
If if the indicator flash rate is ok It would point to a wiring/ connector problem.

As an after thought it might be an idea to disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
The ZFE has a permanent live feed to it. it is not disconnected by the ignition switch.
If there is a glitch in the ZFE this might cure it. ( Disconnecting the battery will Reboot it)

Yes, following your previous post I checked the rear lamp and pulled the brake lever and stood on the pedal, and everything is working ok. I tried all the permutations of indicators, lights, grips etc etc and it all stays as it's been for a week; right side indicators flashing at a high speed. I've not swapped over the rear indicators, that's the only thing I've not tried. Will try and get to the bike shop this week, hopefully all will be revealed! Thanks for your help, Alan

Did you actually remove the bulb and visualy inspect the filaments?

Pulling and pushing the brakes levers will tell you nowt , well apart from one fillment is working ;) (theres 2 btw)

Did you actually remove the bulb and visualy inspect the filaments?

Pulling and pushing the brakes levers will tell you nowt , well apart from one fillment is working ;) (theres 2 btw)

Normally a 2012 GS with the LED indicator option has the LED stop and tail light.

Thanks to all who posted about this. Mistacat was on the button, the diagnostic showed up a connection fault (the battery re-boot did nothing). So I left the bike and it was found to be the rear indicator unit so it's cost me .75 hours labour and a new indicator. It doesn't explain LAMPF was shown for a rear lamp! Any way, I think I got off light. Alan

LAMPF doesn't just mean 'Lamp Front' as it would suggest..... From the manual.....

LAMPR ! appears on the display - Rear light defective
LAMPF ! appears on the display - Headlight or turn indicator bulb defective
LAMPS ! appears on the display - Bulbs defective

Back
Top Bottom