GSA RUST AND CORROSION

dredgetall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today I woke up all excited, as I was off to view a red 2017 1200 GSA down in leafy Sussex. When I arrived the bike was outside awaiting inspection, the bike was almost on 7000 miles and one owner from new. I started looking over the bike and soon discovered that it must of been stored in the local council salt mine, the bike was the worst I have ever seen with rust all over the frame, rusting spokes and tips, the corrosion had removed all the chrome on the front of the exhausts.... I could go on and on but I can’t see the point.
I don’t know why I am writing this post but being a GS owner for over twenty year I walked away in total shock and wondered what BMW would say if you dropped it off at their head office and said are you proud of this bike that’s not even three years old.

I must advise the reader that the bike was garaged from new and was a bike for the weekends and sunny evenings

BMW are being twats atm.
Well certain dealers are anyway.
Mine went back with 15k, garaged, cleaned, etc yet Bahnstormers said it was poor maintenance, cleaning and storage as I lived near the coast.
Bearing in mind it was on every single note about corrosion, every service sheet, several emails, etc during ownership.
The fact they failed to do the end of warranty inspection last September despite the bike being in for the 12k service early.
BMW aren’t particularly happy with them as it’s now a full complaint under Financial Services.
Two other dealers both stated that it would’ve been fixed under a PUMA case without question long before it reached the end of warranty let alone term.
They’ll be footing the shortfall ultimately as it’s also with the Financial Ombudsman.

Mr BMW

That’s odd you must work for BMW, I have three BMW biker mates who have gone back to BMW with corrosion issues and all three have been advised that they must be using the wrong cleaning products.......,RUBBISH

No - Bahnstormers told me I was doing just that, poor maintenance, wrong whatever.
Told them bollocks - it’s not fit for purpose.
So on returning at end of 3yrs I raised a complaint through BMW FS whilst it was still live.
Because they hadn’t done the warranty close out and there was a paperwork trail of me bringing corrosion up since the first year they asked why a PUMA case hadn’t been opened (even if they’d refused it) as it should’ve been.
Ombudsman agrees as to the fact that it shouldn’t corrode like that unless it’d been stored outside right by the sea and never cleaned, etc.
I’m out of pocket due to agreed value, etc so it rolls downhill ......

Back
Top Bottom