Africa Twin Ohlins

Ohllins rear shock and ktech fork kit, they did set the bike up for me however i used there settings as a starting point and twiddled to find my preference, the difference is night/day, fully loaded oe panniers i just wind the preload up 6 turns, getting the oe shock out with the swinger still fitted is no 5 minute job :eek:

I purchased the shock from RR, Jonathan added some discount meaning i could not buy it cheaper elsewhere.

Could you give me some more feedback on the K-Tech front and Ohlins rear?

Are you happy with it?, would you choose it again or something different? is the ride hard? how has the new suspension improved your ride?

Warlord, have you looked at Wilbers/Nitron/Hyperpro ?
I had Ohlins on my GSA some years ago, it was superb, recently I've had good spec Nitron on an identical GSA, it was equally superb. Just a thought

Could you give me some more feedback on the K-Tech front and Ohlins rear?

Are you happy with it?, would you choose it again or something different? is the ride hard? how has the new suspension improved your ride?

Ktech director used his own AT for R&D, ride is compliant without be harsh and no longer rides like a chopper when fitted with full panniers, if you hit a pot hole it doesn't shake the bars or kick you out the seat as the suspension soaks it up nicely, I've got it set up for sporty ride so it allows you to push on quickly and be smooth whereas the oe stuff had you fighting with the bike if you wanted to ride it quick, the new suspension certainly inspires confidence, its totally different however this has exposed the only flaw, the DCT !! if i bought another id opt for the manual and fit the same suspension set up and because of this flaw i will probably hand it back or pay off the pcp and sell the bike myself.

Ktech director used his own AT for R&D, ride is compliant without be harsh and no longer rides like a chopper when fitted with full panniers, if you hit a pot hole it doesn't shake the bars or kick you out the seat as the suspension soaks it up nicely, I've got it set up for sporty ride so it allows you to push on quickly and be smooth whereas the oe stuff had you fighting with the bike if you wanted to ride it quick, the new suspension certainly inspires confidence, its totally different however this has exposed the only flaw, the DCT !! if i bought another id opt for the manual and fit the same suspension set up and because of this flaw i will probably hand it back or pay off the pcp and sell the bike myself.

Whats wrong with the DCT ?

Corrected for you.:D

That may still happen :D

But I'll tell you this, I was surrounded by KTM and BMW on saturday off-road, and my HAT got a lot of positive attention. It was the only HAT there as well.

Dan, who rides a KTM 1090 Adv actually said to me, he's never seen one in black.... liked it so much he would have bought one if he'd known.

.... and I overtook some guys on BMW and KTM 1090..... so there :D

(by the way, thank you for sending me to Molly, going again for 2 days next month 9th & 10th)

That may still happen :D

But I'll tell you this, I was surrounded by KTM and BMW on saturday off-road, and my HAT got a lot of positive attention. It was the only HAT there as well.

Dan, who rides a KTM 1090 Adv actually said to me, he's never seen one in black.... liked it so much he would have bought one if he'd known.

.... and I overtook some guys on BMW and KTM 1090..... so there :D

(by the way, thank you for sending me to Molly, going again for 2 days next month 9th & 10th)

Awesome, people like to look at the HAT...but isn't it's ability the issue here....try a KTM690? Best of both worlds (several people are on RTW trips on them)

Awesome, people like to look at the HAT...but isn't it's ability the issue here....try a KTM690? Best of both worlds (several people are on RTW trips on them)

Yep, but I'm still enjoying and tweeking mine.

Next year, I'll buy a KTM 790 Adventure R

On top of both the GSA and AT or is the AT going back ?

No, I'll keep those bikes.

The KTM will be another addition to my weaponized inventory

Do you seek out proper black mud too? It'd be rubbish in Devon with their nice dark red stuff

Do you seek out proper black mud too? It'd be rubbish in Devon with their nice dark red stuff

Proper black mud will be coming soon.

One of the guys I ride with, Dan, wants to do more mud training.... so now I got cameras :D ... you can watch the roosting mayhem

I called K-tech this morning and they told me my suspension would take around 4 weeks to be coated and rebuilt.....

That's too long to wait as I'll be riding this bike all year round

I WANT IT NOW !!!

It isn't that.

If I buy Touratech or Ohlins, they ship me the parts.

So then, at my leisure, I can fit them to my bike. So the bike is never off the road.... and the original parts get stored away.

If I buy the K-Tech upgrade, I have to strip my bike down.... post the parts.... then wait 4 weeks for a rebuild while my HAT is in bits for 4 weeks being a complete pain in the arse.

AND.....

I can't easily sell on those upgraded parts as they are then part of the bike.

Whereas, the Touratech or Ohlins kit, can be easily unbolted and sold separately before sale, and the original parts get put back on.

.......getting the oe shock out with the swinger still fitted is no 5 minute job :eek:

Did you do this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GMM-gFD3zro" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and I overtook some guys on BMW and KTM 1090....so there :D

And were you still in full control and upright at the time?

(by the way, thankyou for sending me to Molly, going again for 2 days next month 9th & 10th)

Good isn't he!
Did you do the log maze and bomb hole?

As far as suspension mods go....just be mindful of your end point and the bigger picture. If the suspension is utterly horrid then that's one thing...but if your trying to turn that big brute into something it isn't only disappointment and the inevitable lies at the end of that road.

The 21" wheel I built for the Gsa is worth its weight in gold offroad over the standard 120/19 but the bike is still a big fat heavy lump and always will be....but it's certainly true good suspension well set up is always a good mod. Is it £3k better though given the use?

And were you still in full control and upright at the time?

Charming.... :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tICWLSjBr78" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good isn't he!
Did you do the log maze and bomb hole?

Not yet, but I'm going back next month on 9th and 10th

As far as suspension mods go....just be mindful of your end point and the bigger picture. If the suspension is utterly horrid then that's one thing...but if your trying to turn that big brute into something it isn't only disappointment and the inevitable lies at the end of that road.

The 21" wheel I built for the Gsa is worth its weight in gold offroad over the standard 120/19 but the bike is still a big fat heavy lump and always will be....but it's certainly true good suspension well set up is always a good mod. Is it £3k better though given the use?

Well I know it's not a 250cc scrambler. I get that. But I still want it to be the best it can be, as I still really like the bike.

Back
Top Bottom