Could have found my next project.

Believe it or not, a LIDL Silver spray can paint.
Reay good quality.
And HYCOTE clear laquer.

But HYCOTE Silver wheels if I run out of Lidl's..

:thumb

I bet it lasts longer than BMW engine paint.:thumb2

Well she's arrived in the workshop yesterday. As with all bikes they look better in the pics than in the flesh, but I expected this and it's what you get for not going for a look.
There is an awful lot more cosmetic stuff to do to make it really nice, having said that it does have a certain endearing patina.

Just off for a little jaunt, engine sounds lovely so lets see how she rides.

Well....

How did the little jaunt go....?

Well I hope :thumb

Sadly I can't do foot boards.
Hence me selling my Convert & never getting a California.
Although Guzzi did one version with normal footpegs etc.
But I've only ever seen one come up 4 sale..

Found one - 2006 MOTO GUZZI CALIFORNIA TITANIUM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191015-173326.jpg
    Screenshot_20191015-173326.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 221
Took it out for about an hour yesterday. It did initially feel very alien with the footboards and rocker gear shift, but I soon sort of got used to it. It's your typical big block Guzzi, loads of low down grunt and ambles along beautifully. The engine remained very quite even when hot and the gearbox and clutch are lovely, although the clutch did need some adjustment.
It did feel a little slow on the first bit of straight road I accelerated along, but when I looked at the clock I was doing 70mph, maybe that massive screen that gives this effect, which does cause quite a bit of buffeting at anything over 50mph.
The thing that really surprised me is, how manoeuvrable the bike is at low speed, you could get down to walking pace and it still felt very balanced. Handling was very neutral. Like many big bikes, run it into the bends off throttle and it will run wide, drive it through and it's nice, as with all big Guzzi's, slow in fast out. On the A roads between 50-75 get it into top gear (5th) get your feet flat on those boards and it's an absolute delight to ride and really promotes some nice relaxed easy riding, a bit like being sat in your favourite armchair. Yes it shakes and rattles a bit but it all felt very solid.
All in all I really like it. As I said earlier, I was a little disappointed in it's overall cosmetic condition, but the main thing is that the engine, gearbox, clutch, and handling are all good, which gives a good base to turn it into a great bike.

I'll spend the next few weeks deciding how far to go with restoring it. It's very easy to let the budget run away with you, but equally I do like to turn out something that's as nice as my limited skills can make it.

Watch this space.

Good luck with your 'restoration'. I am disappointed to read that you aren't happy with the cosmetic condition. The photos were clear for all to see, at 19 years old, I would say it was under priced for it's condition. Have you looked at others?
I would suggest you should and maybe you will realise your expectations were perhaps a little on the high side.
As I have already said, good luck with your 'restoration' but the main thing would be to get on and ride the old gal, that's what it's there for

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Good luck with your 'restoration'. I am disappointed to read that you aren't happy with the cosmetic condition. The photos were clear for all to see, at 19 years old, I would say it was under priced for it's condition. Have you looked at others?
I would suggest you should and maybe you will realise your expectations were perhaps a little on the high side.
As I have already said, good luck with your 'restoration' but the main thing would be to get on and ride the old gal, that's what it's there for

If it was perfect, it wouldn't make much of a project now, would it? :D Everything looks better in pics than in the flesh. I was just saying that to the missus ... before she thumped me! :augie

Hi Johnny, not a criticism at all. I knew that it would look slightly better in the pics than in the flesh and never suggested it was wrongly described. It rides lovely and for me that's the main, everything else is sortable. I was fully aware of current prices and agree the bike represented GVM. Had I have come down to your place to view I would still have bought it at that price. I'm more than happy with the bike. The only disappointment was there are one or two areas that will need some attention that I was hoping wouldn't, and those area's are not going to cause any financial burden. Absolutely no negative implication toward you or the bike was intended. I agree they're there to ride, but I also get a lot of pleasure out of making them as nice as I can.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom