Could have found my next project.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Over the last 4/5 years I've managed to find myself a little winter restoration project. Sadly last year I couldn't find anything. Over the last few months I've been looking for a Stelvio or Griso in need of some TLC. I've recently purchased a V85tt and a totally mint Griso 1200se, both lovely bikes but don't really fulfil my need to tinker.
Lo and behold last night I spotted a very nice looking California 1100ev on this very site. On closer inspection of the pictures there does appear to be some light restoration needed and I'm sure there will be more. Not really something I've considered,but it looks right up my street. Agreed a sale this morning, and hopefully it will be with me by the end of next week.
As usual I'll run it for a bit to get to know it, then it will be into the shed for a full strip down and thorough going over.

As with the Stelvio and 1200 sport I'll get a thread going when I make a start on it. I'm determined to get to grips with posting pics this time rather than rely on Joanne and Ash (cheers Ash)

The more I look at it the more I like it, I'm getting a bit excited. Nothing better than getting into the workshop on a miserable winters day at 7am heating on spending all day messing, then getting Joanne chewing my ear at 10pm asking me if I'm coming in today.:augie

I also saw the Cali for sale on these pages and was tempted at that price. I've always fancied one especially as this one came
with full luggage. Hope you come to Dent on it next year. I'll watch this space with interest.
In the meantime I hope you write an appraisal of how it rides. Good luck with the work.:beerjug:

Fank feck you've bought it Steve... :)
My mind was a wondering & I already have my Strada on the bench...;)

Hope you come to Dent on it next year. I'll watch this space with interest.
In the meantime I hope you write an appraisal of how it rides. Good luck with the work.:beerjug:

Doubt I'd go to Dent on it, the V85 is just such a great bike on those roads, but you never know. I'll certainly report back on how it rides and what needs doing before it goes into the shed.

Fank feck you've bought it Steve... :)
My mind was a wondering & I already have my Strada on the bench...;)

Thought it might have peaked your interest Ash. You can come and mask the engine off for me if you like:green gri. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but the more I look at it the more I like it. And hopefully it will turn out as nice as the Stelvio and 1200 sport did. I sold both the Stelvio and the 1200 sport to fund the next project, but if I really like this one when it's finished I'll keep it.

Looked about £500 underpriced to me. Bargain!

Ssssssshhhhh, I haven't paid for it yet, still need to get squared up for my GS (hopefully today). Seriously, I thought it was priced about right. It looks and sounds (from the owners description) like a very nice bike. But it will take a fair bit of time and money to make it into a very lovely bike, which is what I hope to do.

Ssssssshhhhh, I haven't paid for it yet, still need to get squared up for my GS (hopefully today). Seriously, I thought it was priced about right. It looks and sounds (from the owners description) like a very nice bike. But it will take a fair bit of time and money to make it into a very lovely bike, which is what I hope to do.

Sadly Guzzies don't fetch what they should.
Limited market.
And as you know Steve or anybody else that's rebuilt bikes, it will take a fair bit of time to bring it up to scratch, but hopefully not to much in costs but time will tell on that.
The good fing with guzzies are they are built well & lend themselves to being easily refurbed.

I love refurbing Guzzies, even with my disabilities.
Nothing too complicated & so many common parts across the range...

Piccie of my Strada on the bike lift today

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1570636214620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1570636214620.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 464
Tyres look like bits of hankie; won't last long :rob

I also saw the Cali for sale on these pages and was tempted at that price. I've always fancied one especially as this one came
with full luggage. Hope you come to Dent on it next year. I'll watch this space with interest.

I'm glad you didn't buy it, I've enough to do looking after your other bikes and Robs :D

I'm glad you didn't buy it, I've enough to do looking after your other bikes and Robs :D

I'm becoming more attracted to bikes with lower seat heights these days. It's a leg-over thing.:comfort

Appologies for the scare.:D

Well, now winging it's way to me courtesy of A2b. Hopefully here Monday when I can give it the once over then ride it for a few weeks and decide how far I'm going to go. Having said that I always end up going much deeper than intended. I'm already thinking engine would be best coming out to make a proper job :blast

I'm already thinking engine would be best coming out to make a proper job :blast

I nearly took the Strada engine out, only didn't because with my u/s hands & arms I could see it ending up on the garage floor.. :tears

Reet kerfuffle masking the engine & box though. :D

Hours & hours of degreasing, wire brushing, rinsing & masking up, then unmasking :blast

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1558642102289.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558642102289.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 316
  • FB_IMG_1558644823376.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558644823376.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 312
  • FB_IMG_1558644830819.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558644830819.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 307
  • FB_IMG_1558645572167.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558645572167.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 300
Looking good, what paint are you using Ash.

Believe it or not, a LIDL Silver spray can paint.
Reay good quality.
And HYCOTE clear laquer.

But HYCOTE Silver wheels if I run out of Lidl's..

:thumb

Looks good though Ash, well worth the effort. I am considering doing the block and gearbox casing black, barrels and heads silver, polishing the valve covers. Also considering black for the headstock and gauges surround plate. Plenty of time for consideration, hoping to make a start around the end of November. Much of how far I decide to go will depend on how well I can get it to run and ride.

Back
Top Bottom