Who’s got one?

Great feedback there.

I however have a bit of a “freak” issue. When I am sat on the bike, I need extra 3”-4” added to the length of sleeves and 4” to the bottom of long length trousers.

I currently own two Rukka suits (well two jackets and a pair of trousers) regilar size jackets and C3 (long) trousers.

As I am sat on the bike, (an I have been measured) I must have 39” inseam. So on a Stadler suit that would be +80mm and +40mm to the sleeves. Both articles are long versions (size 102)

Unfortunately Rukka do offer the service of making things longer but it cost (as informed) circa £250-£300 per sleeve and trousers leg. That option is out the window, especially if you think about the cost of Nivala Suit.

Klim don’t do long sizes in their jackets. They do long trousers, but only 34” waist upwards. I am 32” waist. No good. I spoke to Adventure Speck (UK Klim importer) and they have confirmed this. No good yet again.

Stadler however is in my mind as good as Klim in terms of materials use and are offering custom sizing to order. Waiting time is 6-8 weeks and delivered from their German factory. Not PRC. The cost of a custom suit is less than Nivala and probably even cheaper than Klim.

So I am 99% sold on Stadler. Just want to know owner reviews and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be worth looking at Hideout Leathers. They have a laminated, adventure-style suit that can be made to measure...

Might be worth looking at Hideout Leathers. They have a laminated, adventure-style suit that can be made to measure...

I have. Kate has measured me and we have gone though all the options. £2650 please. :eek

This is the suit I am looking at. Colour will change to reduce the amount of “ grandpa” white.

Jacket custom size 102
https://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/product-detail-3-layer-en/track_ii.html

Trousers custom size 102

https://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/product-detail-3-layer-en/hose-course-pro.html

Optional Chest protector and a storm collar add extra €100.

Total under £2k.

Kate has altered my Rukka mesh suit for a grand total £300 and she’s done a decent job of it. However it isn’t a 100%. Had I known about Stadler, I probably would’ve had one of their summer suits for less than cost of Rukka I have and alteration cost put together.

I looked (very) hard at Rukka, Stadler and Klim before choosing a suit for my London-Beijing odyssey, where a single suit had to be able to cope with everything from -10 to +35, rain, snow and sun.

I chose Klim Badlands Pro. It's not perfect but I reckoned it was the best compromise - it's easy to add layers underneath, is very well vented (way better than the Stadler) and is bulletproof when it comes to falling off (as I can say from experience). On the downside, it's stiff, heavy and not so comfortable, especially when it's new.

The Rukka Nivala simply won't hack it in properly hot weather - not enough vents - but for the rest of the time in the UK, it would probably be my choice.

The Stadler kit is also great for regular UK riding - the troos in particular are extraordinarily comfy to wear but. Found the armour a pain. When. it's cool (when you first put in on) it's really hard and uncomfortable. It does soften up after a while when you walk around the shop in it. Whether it would on a cold winter's day, who knows?

I found this thread on Google as I was doing a research for the suitable garment for my dream trip. I am planning a trip similar to yours but in reverse direction. May I ask if you have ever consider the layering approach by using mesh jacket and a Goretex outer raincoat such as The Touratech Compañero or the Adventure Spec concept? Was there any reason why you didn't choose this approach? Klim's Badlands Pro looks very robust with SuperFabric reinforcement and has lots of vents. But I am not sure how it performs in very hot and humid climate. The only Stadler jacket that has the similar reinforcement is Supervent but there are just not enough vents compared to Klim and Stadler says the main zipper won't last in off-road condition. I agree the Sas-tech armour that Stadler can be hard in cold temp. How are the Klim's armour? Thank you in advance.

Kam

I found this thread on Google as I was doing a research for the suitable garment for my dream trip. I am planning a trip similar to yours but in reverse direction. May I ask if you have ever consider the layering approach by using mesh jacket and a Goretex outer raincoat such as The Touratech Compañero or the Adventure Spec concept? Was there any reason why you didn't choose this approach? Klim's Badlands Pro looks very robust with SuperFabric reinforcement and has lots of vents. But I am not sure how it performs in very hot and humid climate. The only Stadler jacket that has the similar reinforcement is Supervent but there are just not enough vents compared to Klim and Stadler says the main zipper won't last in off-road condition. I agree the Sas-tech armour that Stadler can be hard in cold temp. How are the Klim's armour? Thank you in advance.

Kam

IMHO it all depends on the nature and length of the trip - particularly the likely balance between hot and cold, wet and dry weather.

When I got home from Beijing this is what I wrote in my kit review:

“Big decision on a trip like this is between a laminated suit - good in wet and cold (with right layers) - or a more vented/breathable/mesh suit and rain over-suit - better in hot weather. I chose the Badlands, partly because it’s very tough/protective; partly because I hate the “shall I, shan’t I” dilemma on showery days and partly because Klim say the latest version is even better vented than the previous one. I was willing to put up with its (heavy) weight and stiffness.

The suit did really well. It protected me with no real damage (to me or the suit) in two minor spills, kept me 100% dry and had enough adjustment to be worn comfortably with just a t-shirt or a down jacket and heated vest. It has three big design faults - the neck is far too low in bad weather (Rukka’s storm collar is WAY better), the velcro on the internal kidney belt trashes everything it touches given enough time and the cuffs aren’t wide enough for anything other than short-cuff gloves (Rukkka have this better sorted). It also had two manufacturing failures - several of the string zip-pulls on the jacket snapped and one of the metal ones on the pants leg also snapped. The jacket ones weren’t a big deal; the pants one made it really hard to get boots on and off and a zip-tie wouldn’t go through what was left of the zip. It has a minor design fault too - the sleeve pocket (glasses, tracker etc?) is totally useless - it fills up with dust and rain.

It also has one major downside that I never thought about. 3 months is a long time to wear a suit. Keeping it clean isn’t too difficult - shower and scrubbing brush every now and then. Stopping it smelling is tougher. The guys with non-laminate suits put them in a hotel laundry every few weeks. Would you trust a laundry with a £2,000 Goretex suit, a thousand miles from a bike shop? We were lucky with the weather; we had much less hot weather to deal with than expected. Given that, I’d probably choose the same suit again. If it had been hotter (or if I ever do a much hotter trip) I would likely choose a mesh or breathable jacket and rain suit. After 3 months, the grime and odour become depressing.

Three guys had the Touratech Companero dual-layer suit - a full, armoured mesh suit with a full Cordura laminated Goretex suit to go over it. Nice idea on paper but in reality the worst of all worlds - a major pain to put one over the other or take it off and both bits are heavy. Don’t buy one!”

When I go to South America next year (Colombia to Patagonia, again 3 months with varied weather) I will be adopting the layering approach - BMW Rallye suit and two-piece waterproof over-suit.

It also has one major downside that I never thought about. 3 months is a long time to wear a suit. Keeping it clean isn’t too difficult - shower and scrubbing brush every now and then. Stopping it smelling is tougher. The guys with non-laminate suits put them in a hotel laundry every few weeks. Would you trust a laundry with a £2,000 Goretex suit, a thousand miles from a bike shop? We were lucky with the weather; we had much less hot weather to deal with than expected. Given that, I’d probably choose the same suit again. If it had been hotter (or if I ever do a much hotter trip) I would likely choose a mesh or breathable jacket and rain suit. After 3 months, the grime and odour become depressing.

Excellent point. Never really thought about that - presumably the same for all laminates. Hmmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom