1100gs ABS pump !

Dr John

Reaction score
My 98 R1100GS with 95k has finally produced a fault. The ABS pump has given up the ghost. I don’t really want to bypass the system as lots do. What are my best options for pump exchange/repair in the UK? Thank you in advance.

Just pull the blue relay in the fusebox will stop the lights flashing

There is no need to bypass it as it is not the Servo set up

replacement is just a similar part number off a similar bike "Probably" no longer available off BMW as a new part but worth a try I know how well you keep that bike John

but its a simple old unit out, New unit in, No Coding or computers required Oh and Bleed /flush system before use and refit blue relay :D

Just old fashioned mechanicing

My 98 R1100GS with 95k has finally produced a fault. The ABS pump has given up the ghost. I don’t really want to bypass the system as lots do. What are my best options for pump exchange/repair in the UK? Thank you in advance.

Have you had the fault code read ? or are you just guessing it's the actual abs modulator that's the problem.

Have you had the fault code read ? or are you just guessing it's the actual abs modulator that's the problem.

Good call Steppers I chastise people for not "diagnosing" stuff frequently :blast, in my defence it was early and I wasn;t fully awake :aidan

John I have both types of code reader and known good senders to pop in the loom if you want to call by

If the flashing lights are annoying you just pop the light blue relay out of the holder and bring it with you / keep it safe

Good call Steppers I chastise people for not "diagnosing" stuff frequently :blast, in my defence it was early and I wasn;t fully awake :aidan

John I have both types of code reader and known good senders to pop in the loom if you want to call by

If the flashing lights are annoying you just pop the light blue relay out of the holder and bring it with you / keep it safe

Ah ... how's my main man Jay ! ... Great to hear you're input ,
I thought you had hung up you're bike boots !! ... The pump has been messing about for a while now ... needing reset every couple of runs out. The worst was confirmed by our local Motorrad diagnosis, who also warned of new pump costs. The bikes braking fine but I'd really love to restore her to original. I'll give you a wee call if that's ok !

If the 1100 unit is similar to the 1150 (ABS 2), you may be able to rebuild it, as I did.

Do a search on here (and ADVrider); you will find some threads to point you in the right direction.

If it isn't similar, then please excuse me and I will fuck right off :D

Good luck

If wiring, sensor gaps are good and battery voltage on starter operation OK (the latter is the main cause of ABS faults, when it drops below approx 11.5V on starter operation), then it's probably dirty and stuck valves inside ABS unit judging by the age of the bike.

I cleaned and re-bleeded the whole system (including ABS unit), then reset ABS and it was fine again.

See here:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/340477-ABS-toast

Back
Top Bottom