Dead ABS unit?

SteveD

Reaction score
I have a RGS1200 of 2006 vintage. Very low mileage/very good condition never missed a beat. Now have 2 cases of the ABS warning light coming on and a flashing warning light. If I let everything cool down it goes off, but comes on again as soon as it gets warm. Dealer suggests I need a whole new ABS unit (£2500) i.e. about same value as the bike!
I have read the (mostly old) threads on this in this forum but don’t see a clear fix apart from trying new sensors. Three questions:
1. Is it still safe to ride (while I find a long term solution) or am I going to lose brakes completely at some point?
2. What’s the latest on this need for the new unit and what are the options (for the non mechanical i.e. me)? How can I be sure I need this vs just a replacement sensor or a cheaper fix
3. Any fix that’s not as expensive as a new unit ??
Cheers
S

Welcome Steve, but you have posted this in the wrong sub forum!

Mods........?

Someone else will be along with more technical insight but the general opinion is to bypass the unit and forfeit abs but have standard brakes.
I have 2005 model, just waiting for it to go tits up. I think that underuse is probably not as good as you think it is, got to keep things moving.

Search servoectomy for further info

Steve

Not sure it will be much use to you in France but here goes anyway. I had a defective ABS unit on my previous 2007 GSA back in March 19 and posted this up afterwards:

March 19
I have a 2007 GSA (non servo) and the Brake Failure Light started coming on recently albeit intermittently. After much internet search and looking here on the forum I contacted https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ who are based just outside Luton in Bedfordshire. They were confident of being able to repair the unit and I took my bike over this morning and after a friendly welcome and a mug of coffee surgery began and within minutes all the plastic and fuel tank had been carefully removed and the ABS unit extracted for closer inspection.
Anyway it transpires that one previous owner had already had an attempt at fixing this fairly common problem but whatever they had done clearly hadn't worked properly but despite this the guys remained optimistic and put their wealth of experience and knowledge to work.
Within a few hours the unit was being put back together and transplanted into the bike once more. After testing all systems were working as they should and at a fraction of a new ABS unit which I understand is about £1500-1800. Ouch!
Very happy and will certainly be using MOTOSCOT in the future and without hesitation wholly recommend them you.
Their standard cost is £320 to remove, assess, repair and replace but It cost me £386 took about two hours while I waited because they found that someone else had already tampered with it and didn't know what was done/buggered by that attempt. However, with mine they supplied a used ABS pump, tested and replaced with 12 months warranty but I'm told they have not had one back that they have repaired.

Steve

Not sure it will be much use to you in France but here goes anyway. I had a defective ABS unit on my previous 2007 GSA back in March 19 and posted this up afterwards:

March 19
I have a 2007 GSA (non servo) and the Brake Failure Light started coming on recently albeit intermittently. After much internet search and looking here on the forum I contacted https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ who are based just outside Luton in Bedfordshire. They were confident of being able to repair the unit and I took my bike over this morning and after a friendly welcome and a mug of coffee surgery began and within minutes all the plastic and fuel tank had been carefully removed and the ABS unit extracted for closer inspection.
Anyway it transpires that one previous owner had already had an attempt at fixing this fairly common problem but whatever they had done clearly hadn't worked properly but despite this the guys remained optimistic and put their wealth of experience and knowledge to work.
Within a few hours the unit was being put back together and transplanted into the bike once more. After testing all systems were working as they should and at a fraction of a new ABS unit which I understand is about £1500-1800. Ouch!
Very happy and will certainly be using MOTOSCOT in the future and without hesitation wholly recommend them you.
Their standard cost is £320 to remove, assess, repair and replace but It cost me £386 took about two hours while I waited because they found that someone else had already tampered with it and didn't know what was done/buggered by that attempt. However, with mine they supplied a used ABS pump, tested and replaced with 12 months warranty but I'm told they have not had one back that they have repaired.

The Op has the earlier servo/abs system. Completely different to the later ABS only system..

Motoscot are relocating to Wales.
You might want to call him quickly.

I don't think he repaired the older servo units, just removed, but I might remember it wrongly and to be on the safe side, I'd ask Steve directly.

Motoscot are relocating to Wales.
You might want to call him quickly.

I don't think he repaired the older servo units, just removed, but I might remember it wrongly and to be on the safe side, I'd ask Steve directly.

Steve has now left Luton and relocated to mid Wales. 'MOTOSCOT' as a name has gone with him but Ali his technician for over 6 years is remaining in the same place and doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom