New to me GS1200 Rallye - “Must Haves”

Popinman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

About to go for my first GS and join the team.....

30 years of biking on sports bikes, sports tourers, and now time for a proper bike....:)

I’m not a fan of the crash bar look (sorry) so would look to put on engine covers, so would welcome recommendations for which ones (Wunderlich, R&G, Evotech, etc.) and then would really appreciate feedback on other must haves for general protection and accessories. I know it could be a very long list, but would welcome any views.

Thank you :thumb2

Before you start bolting loads of weight to the bike, what will you be using it for?

Road Touring? Green Laning? Hard Off-roading? Round-The-World trip?

I like bars and think the bike suits them, so no help on that point.

Then there is a huge difference in what everyone will think as 'must haves'. Then there is your own personal taste and brand choice. Essentials, such as screen, seat, exhaust system can all be left standard, or you can empty your bank just on these items.

Then are bar risers, various guards - exhaust, heel, reservoirs etc etc. Fender extenders, mudslings and lights, lots of lights :D

Personally, I'm a massive Denali and Rimowa fan, but others will offer different options too - the list never seems to stop!

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. It’ll be used for 99% road use, so protection only needed for, hopefully not, any tarmac based incidents..... I certainly can’t afford to throw loads of money at her, so it’s just getting a view on day 1 priorities (headlight cover?) and build from there.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. It’ll be used for 99% road use, so protection only needed for, hopefully not, any tarmac based incidents..... I certainly can’t afford to throw loads of money at her, so it’s just getting a view on day 1 priorities (headlight cover?) and build from there.

Yes, for sure - there is an OEM perspex one, or the more 'rugged' grill types, again, taste driven. Indicator guards are also available. Fender extender on the front mudguard and then see how you feel, but bar risers, screen and seat tends to be the next 'essential'.

Security is important, so a decent disk lock. Oh and a side stand enlarger.

I’d just keep it basic and put on what BMW should fit as std. so I would add the BMW cylinder guards, a rear mud sling, and a front extender fender. These will protect your bike, and then you can add as you go along , the main point is ....ride it . Enjoy

Thanks again guys. Price of replacement of the front light unit scares me a little, so that seems to be a first buy, followed by cylinder guards, then front and rear mudguard extenders, then it's stop and save to pay for those...... :D

Ok.... in my opinion

for 99% road touring you'll need...

- Front mudguard fender extender. To keep heavy road debrit off your engine case

- Rear Mudsling Guard to protect the rear shock

- MachineArt X-head Engine Guards. To protect the cylinder heads if topple over.

- Motographix fuel tank gel graphics. To protect paint from scratches.

- Lizardskins neoprene large chainstay protector. To keep stonechips off your centre stand cross bar.

- Rallye BMW frame protector. To keep boot scratches off frame paintwork.

- Radiator Guards. To stop stones cracking your radiators.

What you don't need.....

Don't bother with the following:-

a) Engine remap or expensive exhaust systems, you wont get anything significant from this except better fueling and noise.

b) Bigger skid plate and engine bars. Unless you ride over rocks.

c) Headlight guard. From factory the lens is strengthened and we don't hear of anybody smashing headlight lenses.

d) Jet washing your bike. The caustic acid foam wash will strip any wax or protective coating on your paintwork. The paint is waterbased and porous and will allow water through to rust metal underneath. Do wax it with car polish to protect it.

e) Ride your bike through winter salt. This is the fastest way to corrode all the metalwork and alloy bolts on your bike. Use ACF50 treatment at the very least.

f) Carrying side panniers everywhere. You might think it looks cool, but it doesn't. :D

Considerations.......

i) Buy physical security for your bike. Garage ground anchor, Pragmasis security chain and lock. Roadlok or disc lock for short stay parking. NEVER leave it unlocked anywhere. Thieves will have it away in less than 2 minutes. Yes, be paranoid about it.

ii) Hex Ez-can. A canbus integrated power controller for accessories like extra lights, cameras, air horn, more brake lights etc

iii) GS Alloy Wheels. Better than spokes, easier to clean, less maintenance, 90 degree valves, lighter, ideal for road use.

iv) Camera system front and rear. Capture your epic moments, and no dispute insurance claims.

Agreed 100%, I´d only add, (if needed) a better windshield, handlebar raisers and grip puppies

Agreed 100%, I´d only add, (if needed) a better windshield, handlebar raisers and grip puppies

+1 on the grip puppies. Go for the ebay ones which are dirt cheap. I find the slightly fatter feel to the grips to be way more comfortable than the standard skinny size. No adverse effect on the heated grips either - your hands will still be nice n toasty when needed.

I'd get the front and rear fender extenders first thing - prevention is always better than cure. Rad guards are also worth fitting early days - not very exciting, but will at least protect the rads from stone damage. I also fitted the grill style headlight protector, party for piece of mind, partly because I liked the look of it.

At lot of this stuff comes up in the for sale section of the forum - I bought just about all of it 2nd hand which saved a considerable amount compared to list prices. Also, you can get bits from the likes of AliExpress as long as you don't mind the open ended delivery schedule. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Seán.

All you really need to add is petrol....go ride the thing.

Far too many see the GS as a Christmas tree devoid of spangly lights and extras like little bags to stuff everywhere which is ludicrous since it has just about everything needed if you spec a decent spec in the first place. Riding the GSA I feel no need whatsoever to join the long queue knocking on Touratech or Wunderlich's door for want of something new shiny and a "must have". It has everything needed as standard. It makes me chuckle seeing how many buy these bikes and turn up at meets with little triangular bags stuffed everywhere, lots of flashing lights and other "farkles" when they're just coming out to the pub or going to the shops. Fair enough on a tour...stick whatever you need as practicality or comfort dictates but chaps...why oh why turn up at bike meets looking like you've just come from riding round the world...just adds to the widely held, shall we say "negative"opinion rhyming with "bankers" that others hold of GS riders.

Things though for consideration aren't so much related to what the bike is missing, more to what it has which is not well designed or thought out in the first place. I would include the standard screen and horn in that category. I've changed both on my bike simply because they weren't up to the job. I also have grip puppies on the grips, as this makes a world of difference in comfort for long trips, at least for me.

Other considerations depend on ergonomics. If the bars feel too much of a stretch, then bar risers help, as long as they allow some rearward adjustability. People moan about the standard seat but I have found it just fine for all day riding.

The only other consideration depending on where you ride and your riding style is tyres. I wouldn't have the "Panakee 3 tyres" as they've fondly been named by some, nor would I fit PR4s after my last set as they wore very quickly to odd profiles front and rear. Worth doing some homework but tyres such as PS3's, A41's and Roadtec01's seem to be very popular.

For some though, there'll never be enough pages in the Touratech catalog ;).

Far too many see the GS as a Christmas tree devoid of spangly lights and extras like little bags to stuff everywhere which is ludicrous since it has just about everything needed if you spec a decent spec in the first place.

Shut up. It's all part of the Adventure Bike experience.

Shut up. It's all part of the Adventure Bike experience.

Who do you think you're talking to you cheeky so & so?

What I said may have been tongue in cheek but it's an opinion I'm entitled to. People are of course free do do what they want with their hard earned, and if it makes them happy then fine. However, whilst this is (just) still a free country, you have no right to tell anyone to shut up pal. You have no authority over anyone on this forum. You may think you do, but you don't.

Suspension , exhaust , engine bars , 35 ltr soft bag , kreiga US 10/20 ( plus straps) MRA screen , proper handguards, front case cover, hugger all will be useful , sat nav , wired coms , side tool carrier (other preferencese of course) Oh don't forget some nice roads. :thumby::thumby::thumby:

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 843
So you don't think a bike needs the engine bars if its only on the road? Dont they offer lots of protection for the engine in the event of a fall?

So you don't think a bike needs the engine bars if its only on the road? Dont they offer lots of protection for the engine in the event of a fall?

When I went down all they did was bend. Both valve covers scratched - but not holed.

Who do you think you're talking to you cheeky so & so?

What I said may have been tongue in cheek but it's an opinion I'm entitled to. People are of course free do do what they want with their hard earned, and if it makes them happy then fine. However, whilst this is (just) still a free country, you have no right to tell anyone to shut up pal. You have no authority over anyone on this forum. You may think you do, but you don't.

:D ...

Well it all depends. If it's a static topple over, then engine guards will be fine.

If you sling it down the road at 70 mph, you're going to have plenty of other problems to worry about, and engine bars won't be one of them....

Most engine bars are only 'branches to hang bauballs' off on these bikes.

Well it all depends. If it's a static topple over, then engine guards will be fine.

If you sling it down the road at 70 mph, you're going to have plenty of other problems to worry about, and engine bars won't be one of them....

Most engine bars are only 'branches to hang bauballs' off on these bikes.

That last line is bollocks, even ignoring the spelling.

I had a static topple, slipping on spilt diesel and the bar saved a costly repair, thanks to engine bars.

OP, buy your bike, buy and install whatever you want and ignore the scruffs :okay

Back
Top Bottom