Is the Schuberth SC1 Communicator any good since Firmware Version 2.0 was released?

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents/Ladies,

I am in the market for new helmet having dropped mine in Spain, which resulted in a very loud crack, so I no longer trust the integrity of the shell. I love the C3 Pro so it's real shame and the SCU10 Comm unit worked fine for me..

I have reduced my preferences to either another C3 Pro or a C4 Pro but am reading very poor reviews about the SC1 comm unit. Admittedly, the vast majority are in 2017/2018 and can find none since the firmware update which I believe was in March this year. Most of the problems were with the speaker volume and quality, the device not automatically reconnecting to other units and the bike/phones when switched off during a stop and being unable to multi-task the unit to connect to various devices, which is should have done from the box.

Is there anybody out there who either has an SC1 with the v2.0 update or used to have the previous firmware versions and has updated? If so, can you give me an idea of what it is like or failing that, if the update improved the previous versions? I am willing to pay the money involved to get a superior product but it doesn't sound promising so far.

All responses are much appreciated. :thumb

Range isn't as good as either my U10 of previous SRC, or Cardo G4.

Sound quality and volume for music & phone calls is very good, better than the above.

Can be difficult to connect to other units, but once paired seems stable. The comms range is its biggest weakness.

I have the C4 Pro with the SC1 Advanced comms unit in it.

Be careful what you read, as the majority of negative reviews that I read were from users with the original C4 helmet, which had the microphone up in the brow of the viewport and suffered terribly from external noise.

The C4 Pro moved the mic down to the cheek pad and now phone call and intercom quality at high speed is much, much better. In fact, I can talk to people who call em without them knowing I am riding a bike.

In terms of usability, the external buttons are horrible. Two tiny buttons far back on the helmet to control all functions. Rubbish. BUT - if you add an RC4 remote control mounted on the bars it becomes super easy to use! In fact, I never use the buttons apart from pairing. I just use the RC4 and the app on my phone (in fact - I think I can use the app for pairing - will have to check that).

A lot of the time, I just use the middle button on the RC4 to activate Siri and then use voice commands - "Play some Rolling Stones", "Navigate to Loomies cafe" etc....

As for loudness, it's good enough. The speakers are not hifi speakers and lack bass, but they are OK. I had a Card Packtalk Bold on my C3 Pro with the upgraded JBL speakers and that was much better. So much so that I am thinking about the possibility of grafting the JBL speakers into the C4 Pro.

Also - if you want range on the intercom, don't buy the carbon version of the helmet as range is much lower.....

I also have a C4 Pro with SC1 Advanced and updated to latest firmware, with the RC{3 or 4, can't remember} handle bar control. I would say sound quality and volume are fine and def much easier to use with the remote control than directly on the unit. I tried the 'universal' pairing to another intercom and it just wouldn't play ball despite following the instructions. Not tested in sena-sena communications as I have no mates... would say the interface with the remote control is not as easy as it should be. Some basic functions just seem difficult to use although I mainly use it for listening to FM radio so I've got that sussed. The app is only moderately useful - again, it should do a lot more stuff than it does and is clunky.

For my use case, it is better than my previous helmet/intercom combo as the remote control makes a big difference but I'm yet to test it on tour when talking to other riders.

Gents,

Thank you very much for your detailed and very helpful replies. It looks as though I may have to factor the remote control in if I went for the C4 Pro and SC1 as I have no patience and just couldn't live with the small buttons. That makes the package very expensive so I will have to decide if I should just get another C3 Pro.

Still, plenty of time as the winter approaches and a possible deal at the NEC bike show! Cheers! :thumb:thumb

I have a c3 pro with the unit installed. After the software update it is an awesome piece of kit. Agreed you have to remember what button length gets you to whatever setting you desire but its the same with the remote. The buttons are on the inside of the helmet so you have to open visor to touch them. After the upgrade the volume, pairing and devices all remember who is preferred etc. I was riding through France with my sound set to come from my phone and listened to the Ashes! Microphone placement is now unobtrusive on left hand side and call quality is very good. As said, its clear. So I am happy with the comms unit. Battery gave me a low warning yet I completed my 50 minute commute with it still playing so I guess reserve is very good. Cant speak for the remote. No space on handlebar for another gizmo.

Can I ask ... what is the battery life like on the RC handlebar units? Heard reports that the batteries did not last ling.

Mine has done at least 5 months on the original battery and is still working.

Gents,

Thank you very much for your detailed and very helpful replies. It looks as though I may have to factor the remote control in if I went for the C4 Pro and SC1 as I have no patience and just couldn't live with the small buttons. That makes the package very expensive so I will have to decide if I should just get another C3 Pro.

Still, plenty of time as the winter approaches and a possible deal at the NEC bike show! Cheers! :thumb:thumb

It is an expensive option for sure. But look for best price you can find online for the helmet and comms and then ask Motolegends to do their 10% price beat. I don't think they sell the RC4 remote control, but you can find those at a good price on eBay.

In terms of C3 Pro vs C4 Pro, there's not a huge amount in it. The C4 has a wider viewport which is nice. The interior lining is also better and I think the venting is slightly better as well. It's not enough difference to make an upgrade from a C3 Pro a necessary thing, but if I was choosing one over the other I would get the C4 Pro again.

I have a c3 pro with the unit installed. After the software update it is an awesome piece of kit. Agreed you have to remember what button length gets you to whatever setting you desire but its the same with the remote. The buttons are on the inside of the helmet so you have to open visor to touch them. After the upgrade the volume, pairing and devices all remember who is preferred etc. I was riding through France with my sound set to come from my phone and listened to the Ashes! Microphone placement is now unobtrusive on left hand side and call quality is very good. As said, its clear. So I am happy with the comms unit. Battery gave me a low warning yet I completed my 50 minute commute with it still playing so I guess reserve is very good. Cant speak for the remote. No space on handlebar for another gizmo.

My apologies but I didn't know the SC1 unit fitted the C3 Pro? I use the SC10U in my C3 Pro and was told by Helmet City that that was my only option (Schuberth wise).

My apologies but I didn't know the SC1 unit fitted the C3 Pro? I use the SC10U in my C3 Pro and was told by Helmet City that that was my only option (Schuberth wise).

Me bad. Sorry ido indeed have an sc10u. Not the 1. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fitted it to a normal Arai helmet and it works fine, just misses a radio a little bit as the extended aerial is in the C3 Pro shell. But it'll transfer to most full lids. It is better in the C3 though, more secure microphone.

I have fitted it to a normal Arai helmet and it works fine, just misses a radio a little bit as the extended aerial is in the C3 Pro shell. But it'll transfer to most full lids. It is better in the C3 though, more secure microphone.

Which kind of begs another question regarding the in built extended aerial in the C3 Pro shell: when I fitted my SC10U into my C3 Pro, there was no connector as such between the unit antenna and the extended aerial, so unless it just enhances the signal becuase of proximity, I am baffled as to how it helps!!

Back
Top Bottom