K1600 - On Hold

Belco100

Reaction score
Looks like there is a stop order on all K1600 models at the moment?

There is going to be a gearbox recall - sounds like for all 2017 models onwards with the new gearbox?

Looks like there is a stop order on all K1600 models at the moment?

There is going to be a gearbox recall - sounds like for all 2017 models onwards with the new gearbox?

where,s this news from now ?

Details are in this thread ......... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ew-biker-please-go-easy?p=5499301#post5499301

From a worldwide perspective, there is more info on the K16 forum ..... www.k1600forum.com

In 2016, BMW passed the gearbox contract from Getrag to a US company, Torqtek. Problems have now emerged with 2017-on models, manufactured since 09/2016 when the reverse gear option was introduced, hence the delivery stop order issued by BMW last month. However a complication has now emerged - the Torqtek company has now failed & Administrators are at the point of selling off plant & machinery. Where this leaves BMW seems a tad unclear & whilst one can understand their reluctance to issue a recall/no ride order, they appear to be playing with fire, particularly in the notoriously litigious US. With 20,000 bikes affected, that is one hell of a lot of expensive warranty work, once the logistics can be sorted out.

Currently the message appears to be carry on riding, but observe common sense caution should your gearbox act in any way strangely. If in doubt refer to your dealer promptly.

Details are in this thread ......... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ew-biker-please-go-easy?p=5499301#post5499301

From a worldwide perspective, there is more info on the K16 forum ..... www.k1600forum.com

In 2016, BMW passed the gearbox contract from Getrag to a US company, Torqtek. Problems have now emerged with 2017-on models, manufactured since 09/2016 when the reverse gear option was introduced, hence the delivery stop order issued by BMW last month. However a complication has now emerged - the Torqtek company has now failed & Administrators are at the point of selling off plant & machinery. Where this leaves BMW seems a tad unclear & whilst one can understand their reluctance to issue a recall/no ride order, they appear to be playing with fire, particularly in the notoriously litigious US. With 20,000 bikes affected, that is one hell of a lot of expensive warranty work, once the logistics can be sorted out.

Currently the message appears to be carry on riding, but observe common sense caution should your gearbox act in any way strangely. If in doubt refer to your dealer promptly.

ffs and i thought triumph were shit.

The last major issue at Triumph was that TEX recall a while back IIRC? In fairness, I thought they dealt with it fairly, without overloading the dealer network, but then I didn't own one so didn't suffer the inconvenience of it all.

Latest I hear on the K16 issue is that the gear cluster requires replacement of 6th gear & the attendant shift fork with parts made of stronger materials. I stress this is hearsay, but seems to fit the scenario reported formally by BMW. Apparently dealers in the US are to be instructed to focus first on Baggers & the GA bikes, before GT/GTLs & repair kits should be available there late Autumn when, presumably, the mother-ship will be forced to declare a recall. This has got to be far more manageable logistically than a full gear cassette replacement, given the recent Torqtek failure.

I'm a tad surprised that the Fed authorities appear rather relaxed about this at present; still if any accidents occur as a result, they will enjoy levying a swinging fine instead.

tried to buy one today told cannot sell me one because of the recall and have no idea when they will be fixing the issue

Latest news from the US of A is that the K16 recall programme is expected to commence wef 17/10/2019. The core text from the NHTSA is: -

''Summary
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K
1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced
to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly
causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts.
Remedy
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th
gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 17,
2019. ''

Presumably the UK will follow shortly. It now appears that all the shift forks will be replaced, but doubtless more detail will emerge when the repair kits appear at dealers.

mines just been picked up this morning by cotswold bmw,
i collected a new rt1250 as a loaner until mine is done,whenever.
as i said to customer services i do not trust the safety issue on any gearbox,had enough shit in the past with my last 2 triumphs.
give your dealers a call.

Back
Top Bottom