Trousers - info needed

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to replace my now non-waterproof Halvarrsons trousers. I am keen to get a pro shell type trouser that doesn't hold water. An all round/all season touring/commuting pair. Can't afford new Rukka/Klim prices. Yes, a tall order. If buying any goretex item second hand I'd like it to come with original receipt as Gore Tex will warranty only to original purchaser.

Having recently been given excellent service by Gore Tex, I am inclined to buy another G Tex product. However, these have popped up at a very good price https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-streetguard-classic-motorcycle-pants-men-black.html and have a bmw 2 year warranty.
Although not Gore Tex, they are a shell / bonded membrane pant and seem good value for money. So, anyone with info and reviews of the streetguard 4 trousers

I have the BMW Tour shell trousers which I suspect uses the same materials. I am extremely happy with them after riding for over 100 miles in torrential rain and not getting wet or sodden (they do not soak up water as waterproof membrane is in the outer shell).

Obviously Goretex is a trademark but I suspect that other manufacturers have copied/replicated the same material. I believe that BMW have done just that with their waterproof kit.

Bought some used Halvarssons (sorry...don't know which ones as nothing on them says) and in biblical downpours today they kept me dry and toasty....(£50 Ebay bargains). Don't write off Halvarssons. From what I've seen of BMW kit (any of it), you can't really go wrong...they market mainly very decent kit, made by various well known brands including Held and various other brands. As much as I hate to admit it, you get what you pay for and decent clothing new doesn't come cheap, but there are some stellar used buys about worth holding out for as I've found out.

I think BMW use the Schoeller C-Change membrane........ Halvarssons used it in one of their suits, which I owned for a few years................you will not get wet!!! (or sweaty)

Sent from a U11

Oxford do a gortex laminate suit which IIRC is around £500 for both jacket a d trousers. If you look on the missenden flyers YouTube pages he's done a review on them, I can't remember the exact name so you'd need to check you have the exact one as there's a normal non laminate one with a similar name

My BMW tourshell are excellent - always bone dry and a bargain to boot.
The water ‘beads’ and just runs off them.
Not sure what they are made of.

Oxford do a gortex laminate suit which IIRC is around £500 for both jacket a d trousers. If you look on the missenden flyers YouTube pages he's done a review on them, I can't remember the exact name so you'd need to check you have the exact one as there's a normal non laminate one with a similar name
A "Goretex" type membrane.........not actual Goretex??

Sent from a U11

A "Goretex" type membrane.........not actual Goretex??

Sent from a U11

Search for the Oxford Mondial jacket/trousers on this forum. One of the members of this parish reported that this suit is showerproof rather than waterproof.

Search for the Oxford Mondial jacket/trousers on this forum. One of the members of this parish reported that this suit is showerproof rather than waterproof.
It was rhetorical.........it's definitely not Goretex.

Sent from a U11

Sorry my bad, though TMF does rate them and at that sort of price does it matter if they do the job?
Absolutely...... I'm wearing Rev'it laminated stuff that uses their own membrane and it's fantastic.

I would take nearly everything that lad says (TMF) with a pinch of salt. I enjoy watching his videos but I get the impression the lad doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Sent from a U11

I like the look and features of the Halvarrssons. I'm not writing it off. I got 6 years and about 50k out of it. I have ordered some sdoc 100 and will try that too to see if they really are toast. I think they are but its worth trying.

The halvarssons are like the streetguard in that , neither are goretex but an oem membrane and both have a 2 year warranty, so I guess in that case the BMW kit gets my vote at £173 against £399. I'd pay up to £300 for trousers. But its worth getting the views and news here. Thanks

I would imagine he'd need a second opinion on the arse/elbow thing

Watch this space....coming soon is a you tube review of "arse or elbow? I test them both" :yelrotflm

TMF seems a nice enough guy tbh and at least offers corrections if he gets stuff wrong. My mate appeared on one of his vids with his Harley Zero-Engineering Bobber and has since kept in touch. Says he was a really nice bloke off camera.

There's a few garments using breathable waterproof membranes, so Goretex whilst having the market share based on performance and rep for so many years now is still one of the best, there's others to match it.

Halvarssons' liners use their proprietary "Dryway" and Dryway Plus" for both drop-in liners and their newer 2 layer laminated stuff. It works imho as well as Goretex having had Halvarssons long enough to wear it through some heavy dounpours and warm autumn weather it's always performed well. It seems to me to be the most breathable of the non-Goretex stuff having owned so many of these garments over the years but has one major advantage over gear from Rukka and Klim. Outlast. That witch-craftery material is very cleaver indeed. I couldn't believe how thin my Outlast liner was in the Prime Jacket (which incidentally has recently been heavily discounted to make way for the new Wish and Wolf kit). Despite this, it has kept me toasty warm on early morning single digit rides where the heated grips have been a must yest has been incredibly breathable as well as keeping body temperature stable when the thermometer has picked up. No doubt in the hottest weather it's best removed but I reckon for my trousers and jacket, I'll be leaving it in most of the year. I think it's made from a paraffin based substance developed for temperature regulation for astronaut space suits although my Halvarssons trousers are also labelled with thinsulate, so it may be a mix of materials. Whatever...it works and also doesn't make the jacket or trousers that bulky.

It's got to the stage now where if you can't stretch to Klim or Rukka gear (or don't ride daily and don't need the 5 year Rukka warranty) then Halvarssons kit is imho the next best on the market possibly along with top line Revvit gear. Had I known about Halvarssons a year ago, I wouldn't have bought my RST Adventure Pro gear (which is also very good for the money) but you can never have too many suits!

Trouble is that if you want goretex pro shell its ALL expensive, due to the cost gore charge for the privilege.

goretex proshell = Expensive

resonable price = Non Gortex proshell

its an unfortunate but easy equation, however as mentioned above there is some very good non goretex stuff out there

It'd be interesting to get feedback from those who have tried the Goretex alternatives as some that I used were pretty poor, either poor breathability, or poor waterproofing or both.

The best to date for me has been the Dryway stuff from Halvarssons and the worst (only because the durability wasn't good) was Hypora...waterproof when new but some stuff I've owned with Hypora membranes have let water through within a year...gloves being the main culprits. The only truly waterproof gloves I've owned are goretex lined.

The middle of the road stuff I've used includes RST's SinAqua liners and the liners that Weise uses. These were pretty decent in the waterproof stakes, but not as breathable as I'd have liked. It all seems a compromise based upon the level of hydrostatic head resistance, the thickness or chemistry of the coatings (some use PTFE others use alternatives to that) and whether they're bonded coatings or proofing added to a polyester fine weave in terms of durability and breathability.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Halvarssons 2 layer Dryway Plus construction has worked for me. Not had any leaks and in combination with the zipped vents have worked well in all climates over the last 10 months, including the Alps in July. However, the material has no stretch, so need to buy appropriately.

Trouble is that if you want goretex pro shell its ALL expensive, due to the cost gore charge for the privilege.

goretex proshell = Expensive

resonable price = Non Gortex proshell

its an unfortunate but easy equation, however as mentioned above there is some very good non goretex stuff out there

Agreed.

Hideout Leathers in Essex stock Dane, Halvarsonn and Rukka. The girls there take apart a sample suit and if it does not meet their quality and safety standards they simply don't stock it.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Halvarssons 2 layer Dryway Plus construction has worked for me. Not had any leaks and in combination with the zipped vents have worked well in all climates over the last 10 months, including the Alps in July. However, the material has no stretch, so need to buy appropriately.

I agree, my Halvarrsons were good , but now are not. 6 years wear on a mostly daily basis, weekend ride outs and about 60k in them. Happy with them, but they are now leaking esp in the crotch area which is not ideal when arriving at work...Also from behind the knees strangely enough. Maybe its the angle or continual bending that creates a weak point through use etc. I'd have them again but if I'd prefer to stretch to a pro shell and avoid sodden textiles dripping all over....If the streetguard is any good then a 2 year warranty with them for £180 quid is a good deal. If they don't leak and don't need to go back and forwards too often etc. If they leak after that, it's been £90 a year. Halvarssons shell are £400 with the same warranty i.e £200 a year..Rukka (goretex) are around £600 for 6 years...but it's not an easy 600 I have lying around. I'd agree Rukka isn't all that much better cost wise, but with their own 6 year warranty and Gore's "guarantee to keep you dry" warranty it's a tough choice.

Back
Top Bottom