Purchasing "LM" maps separately.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my Zumo with a Montana (lack of bluetooth data connectivity is the only thing it is lacking imho).

Now, I was looking at various extra costs: mounts, maps, etc.
I grew quite accustomed at having lifetime updates on the maps of my last two Zumos.

Is it possible to buy lifetime map updates separately if I buy City Navigator maps for a Montana?
I remember doing something similar (paying for the lifetime update functionality) back when I had the Zumo 550.

I've the BMW version of the Montana, which does come with LM already loaded. However, i've also got a 610 Montana that I wanted to also have LM on, when I spoke to Garmin customer services I was told it wasn't possible, i'd be interested to hear differently :thumb

Oh bummer.
Anyway, I guess updating once a year would still be ok, but I cannot find how much the update costs on Garmin's site.
Or one is supposed to buy a new set of Maps (full price) everytime?

Lifetime maps are no longer available separately, they only come pre loaded on certain units. As you point out you are faced with purchasing new maps every year from Garmin, or using alternative software such as Open Street Maps.

In reality the maps do not change drastically every single year, however, like most people I prefer to have up to date maps.

Yes, I see that.
To be fair, just updated the 396 to .20 maps and still Old Street roundabout hasn't been updated :D

It's not a massive bummer (about 30 quid a year if you want to update every 2 years) but shame that Garmin killed it. I guess they are trying to drive some users towards the Zumo series. Looks like they have a fair amount of internal product competition.

Just keep an eye out for their annual discount voucher codes if you update regularly and you can put more than one map set in the device which may give you extra choices.

Yep – I'm already using two sets of maps on my 396. The usual City Navigator (LM) + the OS based maps from John Thorn as those are obviously more detailed and it also indicates byways/BOATs, etc.
I've also downloaded and used another map (again based on OS + DEM data) for Spain last Easter as well.

I'm considering switching to the Montana for the better screen, and having profiles is a big plus.
Having to manually update (and pay) for the maps is a bit of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.
I think I'm gonna buy it towards next spring, so I'm trying to understand and make a list of everything else that needs purchasing besides the sat nav unit ;)

Ye – I used his free maps
For the UK I prefer John's:

thorns_map.gif

thorns01.jpg

thorns02.jpg

They're 15 quid each format (.img or gmap).
Non routable though.
But I generally switch to these when following a gpx track off road.

Going to buy some of Talky Toaster's European cartography before the next trip overseas.

Thank you for the info about Garmin's discounts. I didn't know that!

Back
Top Bottom