Smokey

SPCK111

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Now I’ve had the GS sitting up for a little while as I’m running about on a new bike but I went to start it up yesterday and it fired up straight away but I noticed quite a bit of a smoke coming from the exhaust. Only for a few seconds and then it was fine. Just haven’t noticed that before. It’s left parked on the side stand and I know the older K’s used to do then when left on the side stand. Anyone else had this? It’s covered under warranty until Dec anyway but was just wondering. 2016 LC ADV

Cheers.

SP

Smoke

What is the bike mileage? Does the "smoke" smell like burning oil? Have you checked the oil level is not overfilled? Worn exhaust valve guides and hardened exhaust valve oil seals would result in burning oil especially on initial start-up.
However, I'd hazard a guess it's just condensation in the exhaust burning off on start-up. I've three bikes and if I've not used one of them for a few months, what appear to be smoke on start up is actually condensation from the exhaust.

always put mine on the ctr stand.. but if left on the side stand they can do this... my first LC was on the side stand in the showroom when I looked at it and that put a bit of smoke out when started up to the point where I nearly didn't buy it... but was fine thereafter as I put it on the ctr stand when I had it...

What is the bike mileage? Does the "smoke" smell like burning oil? Have you checked the oil level is not overfilled? Worn exhaust valve guides and hardened exhaust valve oil seals would result in burning oil especially on initial start-up.
However, I'd hazard a guess it's just condensation in the exhaust burning off on start-up. I've three bikes and if I've not used one of them for a few months, what appear to be smoke on start up is actually condensation from the exhaust.

Low mileage. 12k. Blue smoke so defo oil. Oil level is fine and never uses any oil. Ive started it up just now and it was fine with no smoke so I’ve popped it on the center stand as I think that’s the problem. Never really left it for this long without riding so probably why I’ve never noticed it before.

I believe both you and Beaver are correct: it was resultant from leaving the bike on the side stand for an extended period. I tend to only use side stands when parking for sort periods or when touring on the GS; especially I it's so heavy fully loaded with all my kit, I simply can't lift it onto the main stand.

Just to agree with those who find that the smoke issue follows a period on the side stand. I have had the same on my twin cam and occaisionally on the LC, but only when left overnight on the side stand, which is why I don't do so since discovering the tendency. This happens on my airhead after a much shorter period on the side stand and is getting slowly more pronounced, suspect piston rings worn or worse but we shall see.

It seems any age boxer engines do this, from 1200/50 to the olduns.

Also dependent on where on the stroke the engine stops, oil will seep past the piston rings.

Normal behaviour if left on the sidestand for extended periods.

Smoke or condensation? Every bike and car I've owned will blow vapour out for a bit shortly after start-up.

Mine does it occasionally as I mostly leave it on the side stand. Definitely blue smoke from oil. Every BM I've owned did it if left on the side stand. Nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom