KTM and their discounts

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apparently they’ve suddenly realised that discounting them at xmas leaves dealers with a load of used stock and customers who paid full price feeling very pissed off so it’s going to stop. Well that’s according to a dealer who would say that when all he’d give me was £500 off a new Husqvarna but everyone’s getting that deal and allegedly anyone waiting for a xmas present when it comes to new bike prices could be a bit disappointed.

9k for a dirt bike is just ridiculous and there are loads of 19’s still in stock, never mind them being able to shift 20’s. It’s wrong that they’ve discounted them 20% in the past, but that seems to be the only way they can shift them at what is then a more comparable cost to other marques.

Everyone does winter deals and flogs off leftovers, Honda have given away half the Africa Twins that they sold, BMW do deposit contributions and free panniers when they get stuck with a pile of unwanted bikes, even in summer many manufacturers will subsidise finance and offer 0% deals.

The difference is KTM just slash the prices, and some may say wipe the noses of those who paid full whack in it, perhaps they could be more subtle, but it has allowed me to buy 2 new bikes after I thought my new bike buying days were over, and without such deals I would never have bought a KTM (or any other new bike for that matter.

I lost 4k in 3 years on my 1190, that would of been £7k at full whack, but a mate dropped over £6k on a 2 year old fully loaded GS, if he kept it another year it would of been closer to £8k.

I lost @35% of price (inc accessories) in 3 years, at full whack it would of been just under @50%

My buddy lost just over 30% in 2 years on his BMW, would of been @40% if he kept it to 3 years.

But all bikes lose money, only concern is are you happy with what you have and what it costs you.

I lost less than 25% over almost 2 years on my 1290 but that would have been closer to 50% if I hadn’t purchased it at a heavily discounted price. Would the trade in value have been higher if KTM never discounted? I’d guess at yes but if I’m honest I don’t really worry about the percentages, I just ask myself if I want the item and can I afford it then if both answers are yes I buy it.

Only time will tell when it comes to KTM stopping or even reducing their discounts to the levels that other manufacturers offer but I’d still sooner pay list price for any KTM compared to the closest equivalent offered by BMW because my experiences suggest the build quality of KTM is better :beerjug:

I, along with many others, paid full price for my 790 Adventure in April as I needed a lower weight bike as I'd sold my 1190 due to health issues. I would have preferred to wait for the inevitable discounts to appear and maybe pick up a used one but couldn't wait as I had a trip booked in May.
With the extras I specced it with and luggage I've since added it cost me about £12500. I've seen a pre-reg new one with zero miles for sale at £9k. I'd probably get about £7k for mine as a trade in with 7000 miles on it, so I reckon it'll be a 50% loss if I keep it for a year.

Luckily, I love the bike and plan to keep it until I have to give up biking, then it'll go for whatever someone wants to pay for it.

I'd probably get about £7k for mine as a trade in with 7000 miles on it, so I reckon it'll be a 50% loss if I keep it for a year

But unless KTM change their pricing, new ones will be back at £11k in spring, pushing the value of yours back up - Winter has never been a good time to sell a bike.

But more importantly it will now only lose a small amount each year, the 1st year is always a kick in the gonads, which is why I only buy a new bike with the heavy year end discounts, it takes the worst of the sting out of it, and I can handle a bit of a 1st year loss in exchange for having a shiny new bike from day one.

But unless KTM change their pricing, new ones will be back at £11k in spring, pushing the value of yours back up - Winter has never been a good time to sell a bike.

But more importantly it will now only lose a small amount each year, the 1st year is always a kick in the gonads, which is why I only buy a new bike with the heavy year end discounts, it takes the worst of the sting out of it, and I can handle a bit of a 1st year loss in exchange for having a shiny new bike from day one.

And I would have preferred to do exactly that but needed a bike that was more manageable whilst still fulfilling the dual roles of sportsbike botherer and 2-up European touring and the 790 fitted the bill perfectly but was only just in the dealers. I wish I could have kept my 1190 until now and buy a discounted 790 but it would have been too much of a risk to keep it.

I see there are quite a few places offering a new 790 Adventure R for about £10750

In the case of the 1290 GT they ended up discounting it because they made too many of them. It was a factory fuck up. They didn't discount it because they were not selling ;)

That sentence makes no sense at all. Discounts nearly always apply if the seller has too much stock. "The factory made too many" - What happened, did they forget to press the stop button on the production line?

If they could have sold them at list they would have. Clearly they couldn't so they slashed the price.

"The factory made too many" - What happened, did they forget to press the stop button on the production line?

You're not that far from the truth. The factory fucked up by increasing production on this particular model over previous years :blast

If they'd have hung on for the full RRP then they would still have been selling 2017 model year bikes in 2019 so they slashed the price instead

I wonder how many here bought a 1290GT because they dropped the price and not because they were going to buy a GT anyway ?

You're not that far from the truth. The factory fucked up by increasing production on this particular model over previous years :blast

If they'd have hung on for the full RRP then they would still have been selling 2017 model year bikes in 2019 so they slashed the price instead

I wonder how many here bought a 1290GT because they dropped the price and not because they were going to buy a GT anyway ?

I did but didn't keep it long due to the fear of going to prison!

I bought my 790 and got some crap bundled in. I’m certain I paid £2k- £3k more than I should but life is short, iceland was brilliant and I have zero regrets.

Cover me in pineapple chunks and call me Hawaiian Joe if it ain’t true! Its a bike ride, it and stop with the regrets.

I bought my 790 and got some crap bundled in. I’m certain I paid £2k- £3k more than I should but life is short, iceland was brilliant and I have zero regrets.

Cover me in pineapple chunks and call me Hawaiian Joe if it ain’t true! Its a bike ride, it and stop with the regrets.

That's a lot of pineapple chunks Jon! :rob:D

.....but the sentiment is spot on. You've got a great bike which you were able to have a huge amount of fun on both on and off road in Iceland. Folk should buy bikes to go and ride them, not sit there worrying about how much they're worth!

I’d been procrastinating for ages about buying one when really keeping my 1190S made more sense but the price drop made common sense go out of the window and the rest is history :D

I’ve never been too bright when it comes to sensible bike purchases hence buying the Husqvarna and throwing money at it but as far as I’m concerned I work hard for that money so if I want to waste it then it makes the long hours and weeks away from home worthwhile even though my wife would prefer me to buy diamonds for her than a bike she can’t touch the floor on.

Back
Top Bottom