When to part ex?

Gazandwiz

Reaction score
My 1200 GS-A has done 21500 miles and needs a new rear tyre.
Do I buy the new tyre, run the bike to 24000 miles, (which won't be long the miles I'm doing) and get the 24k service done, keep the bike until the spring and trade in for 1250 or Pex now? Anyone got any ideas of the pros and cons of either route?
Cheers
G

My 1200 GS-A has done 21500 miles and needs a new rear tyre.
Do I buy the new tyre, run the bike to 24000 miles, (which won't be long the miles I'm doing) and get the 24k service done, keep the bike until the spring and trade in for 1250 or Pex now? Anyone got any ideas of the pros and cons of either route?
Cheers
G

24000 mile service is a big one... full service and valve clearance, final drive and probably brake fluids as well. Plus new rear tyre.

I'd px it now and try and get a deal on it all.

Prices will go up again next year, and you'll be servicing your bike for someone else.

Or..... just keep it

Change the rear then do the PX 3rd week of November onwards. Speak to at least two dealers.

You have to be kidding me. Sell the bike because it needs a service

I'm not earning enough, obviously

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You have to be kidding me. Sell the bike because it needs a service

I'm not earning enough, obviously

Makes total sense to me. The OP is obviously in the mood to change bike anyway, so change now before the big service and tyre, saving potentially £600 towards the new bike.
The dealer will only want to know if the bike has been serviced as scheduled, and they will no doubt service it at their in house rate before it is sold on.

Cheers
Dave

Makes total sense to me. The OP is obviously in the mood to change bike anyway, so change now before the big service and tyre, saving potentially £600 towards the new bike.
The dealer will only want to know if the bike has been serviced as scheduled, and they will no doubt service it at their in house rate before it is sold on.

Cheers
Dave

More like do an oil change, stamp the book and say it was a 24000 mile service.

More like do an oil change, stamp the book and say it was a 24000 mile service.

Can’t argue with that, which is why I tend to get a full service a couple of months down the line after buying a second hand bike. Daft I know, but just piece of mind...

Cheers
Dave

Cheers
Dave
Never changed a bike because my mood changed. I get them, enjoy them, keep them and look after them (admittedly that would appear harder these days reading about quality issues in here). I'd understand better I guess if it was a change of bike type or singe radical change to the model - maybe the new valve gear is just that?

Never changed a bike because my mood changed. I get them, enjoy them, keep them and look after them (admittedly that would appear harder these days reading about quality issues in here). I'd understand better I guess if it was a change of bike type or singe radical change to the model - maybe the new valve gear is just that?

I maybe shouldn’t have used that phrase, what I meant was a change is obviously imminent, whether now or spring. If I were to get it serviced and put a new tyre on, (along with possibly unforeseen issues like brake pads) I’d keep it until summer at least , otherwise sell now to save on the big bills. I doubt it will make any difference to the trade in value.
Totally agree about change for changes sake, my 14 plate GSA does the job for me just as well as a 1250 would, so won’t be changing until an all new model comes along. I’d love a TFT screen, but wouldn’t swap just for that.
I get that some folk change before warranty runs out, and must have the newest model, but as motorcycling for me is a hobby that mustn’t affect putting food on the table or going on family holidays, I’m quite happy keeping a bike long term (my Duc 749 is 12 years old, and I don’t think I’ll ever part with it)

Cheers
Dave

Cheers
Dave
Me too. Wish I'd done similar last year - would have saved myself a small fortune. Easy for me to be wise after the event...but op's getting wise advice before the event!!! All assuming he's in the bike change mood.

Thanks for the replies. The main point, that maybe should have been pointed out, is will the bike be worth more as PX now, or in the spring with another 6k miles on it having paid out for the big service? There are also some horror stories on here regarding major failures including shaft drive on bikes with less mileage than mine. Getting a the 1250 will at least give me 3 years warranty.

I reckon the dealers will have loads of PXs coming in the spring. Not conducive to trading in, I would think.

Selling privately - harder and harder as no-one seems to have ready-cash. They prefer to pay £xxx/month to PCP a new one.

Trade in now, as is. They will probably just move it on, rather than prepping it for sale too.

A fella on another forum made a case for trading in his BMW bike that required large service, warranty premium, tyres, possible battery - against a new bike. It wasn’t as big a leap as you might have imagined.

Reason I'm not upgrading to the R1250 is because it's still basically exactly the same bike.

Yes it's got a bit more BHP which I don't need, and a glittery TFT screen, which I don't need, and..... well..... nothing else really.

So I'll carry on riding with my R1250 buddies like nothing ever happened :D

Tell your wife that Nutty says you need a new bike, and deserve it. :rob :D

For the sake of the cost of a rear tyre I’d be tempted to put one out and run it towards the 24k service. Reason I say that is that I was in my local dealer on Saturday which has a lot of 1200’s in the showroom, traded in on 1250’s. I’ve also been making some enquiries about trading my 67 plate 1200 on a low mileage 1250 and the trade in prices I’ve been offered so far aren’t that encouraging, certainly not good enough for me to seriously consider it.

In a month or two I think there will be better deals about.

Back
Top Bottom