R1250GS Quickshifter Tutorial

it's subjective and also depends on what you are used to.
For alot of people, it will likely be their first QS experience, but you take the KTM 1290 out for example and you will soon realise thats one smooth quickshifter in comparison

It is subjective, but I still don't accept that mine's working correctly when it completely mis-shifts on occasion and is rough in the first few gears. Lol.

I just don't understand it because they've done a good job on the S1000RR and XR and then complete trash in comparison for the GS. I'm sure that the characteristics of the engine could play a part, but if everyone is saying different things then it sounds more like a calibration issue or something? Don't know, and I'll stop moaning about mine now. Haha.

Last time I looked it was shift assist.

In addition to high revving shifts I sometimes use mine under gentle acceleration (can't be arsed to use the clutch) and it's fine - in particular 4th upwards are as smooth as I can manage using the clutch.

Gear shift assist pro is a brand name, the last time I looked ;) clearly quick up and auto blipper down.

it's subjective and also depends on what you are used to.
For alot of people, it will likely be their first QS experience, but you take the KTM 1290 out for example and you will soon realise thats one smooth quickshifter in comparison

Sort of disagree , the 1290 was smooth but not as smooth as the one on my 1250 , maybe I was not used to it but mine is silky smooth , maybe again its due to hard use and im used to it.
I use mine as an assist not a replacement for gear changes as certain situations make it better to go back to old school so to keep the bike under control.

No, I'm not going to tell you how to use it, I want someone to tell me how to use it!
The only Quickshifter I've used that actually deserved the name was on the S1000XR, superb!
This thing is fecking shite. The R1200RT I sold previously had the same shite Quickshifter!

So it's got to be me?

I ride using clutchless changes up and down most of the time with just the help of a little throttle movement. It might not be as quick but it's a lot fecking smoother.

Can someone explain how to use this thing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

The quick-shifter on the 1200 is also ‘crude’ - hard accelerating up-shifts are ok but downshifts are not, I still do a manual blip for super smooth downshifts.

The quick-shifter on the 1200 is also ‘crude’ - hard accelerating up-shifts are ok but downshifts are not, I still do a manual blip for super smooth downshifts.

The problem seems to be inconsistancy, my bike is shite on upshifts but lovely on downshifts providing the engine is at 4K or above.
Whenever I have ridden the RT, R os RS the engine/gearbox and gear changes always seems to be much smoother than the GS.
The is something about the R series engine in the GS chassis that makes it seem harsh compared to the other models.

Neutral to 1st?

The test bike I had a spin on would not go in smoothly big clonk every time.. but as I say this was a demo bike so might have not been 'loved' by everyone?

Sound of the Gear Shift Assist Pro on my bike is purrrrfect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skNyQ91Va1A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyways, in amongst those that actually don't know how to use it, and there's no saving them.... :rob:blast

I did have a technical experience where the Gear Shift Assist pro worked better after the Cam Sensor was correctly aligned.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/507056-Gear-Shift-Assist-notchy?highlight=cam+sensor

:D

I did have a technical experience where the Gear Shift Assist pro worked better after the Cam Sensor was correctly aligned.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/507056-Gear-Shift-Assist-notchy?highlight=cam+sensor

:D

I'd seen that and ShakeyBMW very kindly let me in his garage one day to take a look since he has all the right tools. Well, he has all the right tools for the 1200, but because of the Shiftcam the ones required for the 1250 are different so we couldn't do anything with it. I'd love to know if anyone has found the tools for sale anywhere so I could pick them up to see if the cam is just slightly out of adjustment!

What also may play a part, is oil pressure.

When doing the cam alignment, you have to install a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool, to replicate correct oil pressure when engine is running under load. You then calibrate the cam alignments, and finally the cam sensor.

I've noticed my Gear Shift Assist Pro works smoother, even just after an oil change and fresh oil. But it stays super smoother after the full cam alignment routine.

So, if the oil starts to break down towards a service, does this effect cam chain pressure, and would it be enough to throw the sensor slightly out of alignment.

Has anybody noticed better performance on Gear Shift Assist Pro after a service?

Mine didn't change after my first service, but they've also over-filled it so I really need to drain some out and see if maybe that helps.

The problem seems to be inconsistancy, my bike is shite on upshifts but lovely on downshifts providing the engine is at 4K or above.
Whenever I have ridden the RT, R os RS the engine/gearbox and gear changes always seems to be much smoother than the GS.
The is something about the R series engine in the GS chassis that makes it seem harsh compared to the other models.

That will be the water pump heritage :D

I've done 3k miles on my 1250, the QS is shite, not fit for purpose in the first three gears. Tested the XR back to back with GS and the QS on that was perfect.

I've done nearly 30k miles and can honestly say it's well worth the money - they are counter-intuitive though.

On my old 64 plate GS GSAP was crap going up, very good going down. On my 18 plate GSA GSAP is good going up, very good going down. Works better on the up shifts the higher the revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mate and myself have 1250 GSA’s bought in june and both now done 7k miles. We have swapped bikes and both agree that the quick shift on my bike is much smoother and easier to get on with than on his. Just shows there is variations between bikes.

A mate and myself have 1250 GSA’s bought in june and both now done 7k miles. We have swapped bikes and both agree that the quick shift on my bike is much smoother and easier to get on with than on his. Just shows there is variations between bikes.

Cam sensor position will be better aligned on one of them.

In order for the engine blip to increase revs momentarily before the next lower gear engages the clutch must slip?? so how well it works depends upon how easily the slipper clutch slips - how precisely are they made???.

All I know is that the only time it is barely acceptable on down changes on my bike is when rapidly decelerating on a closed throttle with simultaneous braking - otherwise down changes are not nice at all! Up changes on hard acceleration are ok, but clutchless up changes are easy anyway!

Mine is OK on downshift but hopeless on upshift. A previous bike was similar.

I've probably covered 20,000 miles trying to use it. Its jerky, destabilises the bike and far less smooth than clutchless changes.

But there's a But.

On a recent trip in the Alps, I exaggerated the throttle opening and it worked better but not consistently. So I wonder if 20 years of clutchless gear changing is part of the issue; in that, I subconsciously back the throttle off.

So a mate tried my bike, he said its not as good as his biut its OKish.

Back
Top Bottom