R1250GS Quickshifter Tutorial

If you're backing off the throttle on upshifts, you're not using the quickshifter correctly.

It's there to do that for you. All you need to do is keep the throttle wide open, and change gear.

If it's still not smooth, then I would suggest theres another problem.

a) You're trying to use it at too low RPM (Below 2000 RPM)

b) Cams and sensor need alignment

c) The unit is faulty

If you're backing off the throttle on upshifts, you're not using the quickshifter correctly.

It's there to do that for you. All you need to do is keep the throttle wide open, and change gear.

c) The unit is faulty

Sounds like I definitely need the cam alignment tool for the 1250 to become available then!

c) The unit is faulty

Is cam allignement a dealer job?

Is cam allignement a dealer job?

If you haven't got the tools, yes.

When I did the valve clearance check on my 2017 bike, and my mates 2014 bike. All the valves were in tollerance, so nothing else needed here.

BUT, we then went on to check the cam alignment, and BOTH bikes needed adjustment.

Once the adjustment had been done, the cam sensor has to be refitted and aligned properly.

Both of us noticed how well the Gear Shift Assist worked better after the work.

I then noted this observation in my other thread on here.

There are other adjustments that can be made as well, the gearshift actuator rod I think can be tuned.

But I've never touched anything on the gear shift assist unit myself.

I have found the gear lever adjustment plays a major part in how the system works, especially on up shifts. When I first had my current GSA, the upshifts were awful. However, when I fitted the adjustable foot-pegs and dropped them down by 10mm, i found the changes to be much smoother. I think by effectively adding more toe room between foot-peg and gear lever, it stopped me preloading the system.
Gear lever adjustment is worth a try.

Took a 1250GSA out from Williams (thanks very much Williams M/C !!) couple of weeks ago - quick shifter rubbish also neutral to 1st not once did it engage cleanly, even my old TC is much smoother, so either the 1250 gear box is shite or perhaps just the demo bike?

I too took a Demo out from Williams although only the GS and the quickshifter on that was terrible too, my old 2015 R1200RT was better but I have to say the quickshifter on my Tiger is excellent :)

It’s all very subjective too, ones person’s idea of smooth is different to another’s - when I say smooth then I mean not even the slightest feeling through the chassis during the gear change, up or down, the GS quickshifter is never as smooth as a well executed manual change.

A good quickshifter never needs learning.

Think that link is to the throttle position sensor reset isn't it??. There is another one somewhere for resetting the gsap. Can't remember exact details but it should appear on a search. Involves going up to 6th gear and pulling clutch, the back down to 1st without letting clutch out. Then running in each gear. Etc. Etc.

Quick shifter

No, I'm not going to tell you how to use it, I want someone to tell me how to use it!
The only Quickshifter I've used that actually deserved the name was on the S1000XR, superb!
This thing is fecking shite. The R1200RT I sold previously had the same shite Quickshifter!

So it's got to be me?

I ride using clutchless changes up and down most of the time with just the help of a little throttle movement. It might not be as quick but it's a lot fecking smoother.

Can someone explain how to use this thing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

I've run a GS1200LC without QS and to me bike changes smoother without, to satisfy my curiosity I tested the GS1250 and was underwhelmed because you had to gun-it for it to change smoothish, then it went with a jolt, rather than smooth. So, I'm with you on the comments I've tried the Yamaha 900GT and was really impressed, it was slick and smooth. Don't think it works well with twins.

Interesting read up, the QS is a superb bit of kit if used with a bit of mechanical sympathy, i would never attempt to use it from first to third as engine revs and final drive dont match, its a gear assist not an auto ..3-6 is perfect above 3750 upwards, it will only work well when you keep throttle open and going up through box.
Down shifting from 6-3 and no more otherwise engine revs are not going to match the final drive nicely and likely shag the box.

Upshifts are ok ish if hard on the gas but still not as smooth as a manual clutch less upshift. Downshifts are a bit shite really, there always is a reaction through the bike even with the throttle completely closed, it is mechanically unsympathetic, infinitely smoother down shifts with manual blips along with the clutch.

Another point to note is the action of the gear selector is pretty heavy with the quickshifter fitted

The upshot of this is that paradoxically the less feel you have at your foot the better, you need to be firm with it which you won’t be wearing soft boots or trainers

Touring boots or the like will give you less mechanical sympathy but better changes :nod

Just a note on technique, I have learnt from the following:

- Some riders have found smoother gear changes on dry clutch pre LC 1200 bikes by pre-loading the gear lever prior to pulling in the clutch. If this habit, possibly unintentional, continues with a quick shifter the change may well be clunky.

- Some bikes have free play at the throttle, so the intention to close it means the twist grip is not actually shut completely, thus confusing the throttle position sensor.

- When winding on the throttle after the gear change, the free play needs to be taken up before engine response, so this delay could also increase the perception of a jerky change.

I agree with leadfarmer, that the gearchange is stiff with a quick shifter, to me almost unaturally so.
There can be a tendency to stamp on it when changing down quickly, as you do not want to have a second go if it does not go in the first time.

Why has no one pointed out that it is not a "quick shifter" as on the S1000rr. The shift assist on the GS is only a glorified micro switch where as the one on the S1000 is a physical actuator(unless i am mistaken if so please correct me). So S1000rr is fantastic GS1250 poor with hit and mis operation. All i can think of is the S1000 proper quick shifter cant be used on a GS due to the shaft drive but the whys is beyond me.

As far as I know all quickshifters do is sense the pressure on the shift lever and if they don't also detect movement of the clutch lever, then they put into action electronic measures to reduce what could otherwise be damaging loads on the transmission. So, effectively a momentary pause in fueling/ignition to reduce torque on upshifts, and a precisely timed throttle blip on downshifts.

What do you mean by a proper quickshifter? Do you fondly imagine it activates some sort of servo which does the gear changing and clutch activation for you?

Sorry, but you need an auto or semi-auto like DCT for that. Conventional quickshifters in comparison are a bit of a bodge, and probably work less well on twins due to heavier flywheels and other reciprocating parts.

Sound of the Gear Shift Assist Pro on my bike is purrrrfect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skNyQ91Va1A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyways, in amongst those that actually don't know how to use it, and there's no saving them.... :rob:blast

I did have a technical experience where the Gear Shift Assist pro worked better after the Cam Sensor was correctly aligned.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/507056-Gear-Shift-Assist-notchy?highlight=cam+sensor

:D

I had a good listen to this and there is something I can’t fathom - sometimes on a down change there is a very significant rise in revs (blip) before they quickly adjust down to the ‘correct’ value for the speed and lower gear. How can one have such a significant rapid increase in revs unless the clutch is disengaged, surely either this or rear wheel would slip.

As far as I know all quickshifters do is sense the pressure on the shift lever and if they don't also detect movement of the clutch lever, then they put into action electronic measures to reduce what could otherwise be damaging loads on the transmission. So, effectively a momentary pause in fueling/ignition to reduce torque on upshifts, and a precisely timed throttle blip on downshifts.

What do you mean by a proper quickshifter? Do you fondly imagine it activates some sort of servo which does the gear changing and clutch activation for you?

Sorry, but you need an auto or semi-auto like DCT for that. Conventional quickshifters in comparison are a bit of a bodge, and probably work less well on twins due to heavier flywheels and other reciprocating parts.

It would appear so. I thought that proper quick shifters had an actuator in them that once the switch was made it then added pressure to the leaver but on investigation it doesnt look as though they do. I stand corrected. But the GS quick shifter is in no way as good as the one fitted to the S1000. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back
Top Bottom