Proper waterproof, winter gloves?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a pair of BMW pro2 winter gloves, or something like that - they have the foil that takes the heat around your hands. Lovely and warm, but not waterproof (might try that spray Oblertone was on about). As they are a gauntlett style with a drawstring cuff, they are worn outside the jacket and I think despite the best efforts of the string, water seeps down your arm and into the gloves, certainly I get very soggy fingers.

I had a pair of Weisse Outlast gauntletts a few years ago, they were superb. Totally waterproof, with an inner lining cuff that went inside the jacket cuff, then the outer over the top - so you had a three-way fold at the cuff which water never got through. I burned a hole in the fingers though, on the exhaust trying to fiddle with the suspension knob thingy.... they don't make them anymore or I would have bought another pair in a heartbeat. What is out there please that will do the job for me? I can't put the Turcano muffs on the X Country, they won't fit, so plastic guards and warm gloves are my only option, unless I get Barkbuster muffs, which is another option, I suppose. On the 1150 I have muffs, so am OK with that one, but on the wet, slippery roads and in snow I would rather not be trying to prevent 1/2 tonne of motorbike from sliding around - the X Country is so nimble and light I think I can manage it much better. I don't have heated grips on it either... so warm and bone dry gloves needed!

Keis heated gloves - never leaked and toasty.
Their heated inners with the Rukka lobsters work really well too.

Not an option I'm afraid - it is the heating side of it, the X Country is very minimalist, so I can't plug in.

Get some muffs that fit; same cost(ish) as a new pair of gloves and so much better at keeping you warm and dry :)

Andres

Get some muffs that fit; same cost(ish) as a new pair of gloves and so much better at keeping you warm and dry :)

Andres

That is an option..... but I was considering the versatility from one bike ot the other that gloves provide. I shall have a look see if there are some easily moved ones.

Not an option I'm afraid - it is the heating side of it, the X Country is very minimalist, so I can't plug in.

You don’t need to ‘plug anything in’.

All you need is a suitably fused flying lead from the battery, little different to a flying lead for an Optimate. Plug into that. Job done.

Held Twin glove (sportsbikedirect sell these). Twin compartment 4 season glove. Goretex 2 in 1 lining (one side waterproof, one side waterproof plus thermal). Fantastic gloves. I have the Air-N-Dry which are ok down to about 5 or 10 degrees before the heated grips are needed but the Held Twin is a genuine winter waterproof glove. Should be good for a decent length commute. Worth every penny.

All you need is a suitably fused flying lead from the battery, little different to a flying lead for an Optimate. Plug into that. Job done.

Alternatively, get Gerbing and their batteries that sit inside the cuff of the glove. Great bit of kit. (M and P have 20% off on ebay today...)

I'd wire to the battery. Simple job on any bike.

Then a pair of Rukka Virium Gore-Tex gloves. Add a set of "Warm 'n Safe" heated liners for when it's really cold and you have proper waterproof, warm all season gloves.

Alternatively, get Gerbing and their batteries that sit inside the cuff of the glove. Great bit of kit. (M and P have 20% off on ebay today...)

I have pair of those and they are very good when it's cold. I don't use the batteries, just plug them in.

But - they aren't properly waterproof and will wet out after a while.

That is an option..... but I was considering the versatility from one bike ot the other that gloves provide. I shall have a look see if there are some easily moved ones.

They're all easily moved from one bike to another.

I don't use an optimate either.... I don't need to, the bikes get regular use as they are my transport, so the battery is kept topped up, au naturel. I really don't like the idea of being tethered by a wire either, illogical I suppose, but there it is.

Held Twin glove (sportsbikedirect sell these). Twin compartment 4 season glove. Goretex 2 in 1 lining (one side waterproof, one side waterproof plus thermal). Fantastic gloves. I have the Air-N-Dry which are ok down to about 5 or 10 degrees before the heated grips are needed but the Held Twin is a genuine winter waterproof glove. Should be good for a decent length commute. Worth every penny.

Thanks - I haven't heard of those. I shall take a gander!

They're all easily moved from one bike to another.

The Turcanos aren't. It takes me a morning to fit them to the 1150. Oh OK, I could 'bung them on', but that isn't good enough - the lining gets pulled out of shape. To put them on properly to my satisfaction I suppose I should say. Once on they stay on until about April. :D That said, I shall still have a look around ot see what would fit. The Barkbuster ones are fairly firm, rather than just soft pouches.

I don't use an optimate either.... I don't need to, the bikes get regular use as they are my transport, so the battery is kept topped up, au naturel. I really don't like the idea of being tethered by a wire either, illogical I suppose, but there it is.

That is illogical.

The Optimate flying lead was an example, used so that you’d know what I was talking about. You do not need to have or use an Optimate.

Your objection to enjoying electric clothing was that you had nowhere to plug it in, when a very simple flying lead will address the problem.

You are not tethered, like a horse to a rail. It is a simple light lead, attached to a very simple male / female connector. Hundreds of bods use them, without any harm or difficulty at all. Compared to the many other challenges life throws at you, this one is very simple to address.

The Turcanos aren't. It takes me a morning to fit them to the 1150. Oh OK, I could 'bung them on', but that isn't good enough - the lining gets pulled out of shape. To put them on properly to my satisfaction I suppose I should say. Once on they stay on until about April. :D That said, I shall still have a look around ot see what would fit. The Barkbuster ones are fairly firm, rather than just soft pouches.

Just buy a secondhand pair of muffs and fit them to the second bike. It’ll save you hunting out a new set that are ‘easy’ to swap over. Cheaper, too.

Job done.

Seriously? You really are putting stupid barriers in place and deliberately making life difficult and more expensive for yourself.
Its a lead with a 2.5mm plug on the end. Doesn't need anything other than that. Doesn't need a relay, doesn't need to be switched, just simply stops giving power the moment you unplug from the bike.
Suggest you pop to Infinity or similar and stick your hands in a set and find out just how simple the set up is and stop being defeatist.

Well it takes me 5 mins to fit Tucanos to my 1150 but then I learnt to dress myself at an early age.

You must be quite special. I've had the same R319 Tucano muffs since owning a R1150GS. Since also fitted to a Super Ten, Tracer and now my S1000XR. Takes a few minutes each side. Most of the time is sealing the Velcro around the mirror stems and using one zip tie to attach the strap to the bars.

Back
Top Bottom