20-50 oil for airheads. Much cheapness!

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some information which should prove useful: I used to run my GS paralever on Unipart 20-50. This was available some time even after the demise of the business. I then switched to Comma Motorway 20-50. Then this disappeared from shelves! Searching around, I came across another Comma 20-50. Here it is at a bargain price ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Comm...747326&hash=item23c8184957:g:SY4AAOSwTuJYob57

Unfortunately there was no info available re its SAE rating! So, I contacted Comma technical help and got this initial reply:

The X-Flow type MOT 20W-50 meets the requirements for SAE 20W-50 and contains a good level of additives. However, this product has not undergone the commercial investment in engine testing to validate a specific level of performance like API or ACEA specifications and others a basic protection.

Hmmmmmmm! I mulled this over and then it occurred that this might simply be a marketing issue? i.e. the product was new in terms of its market presence but maybe an "old" oil? So I asked them! I got the following reply this morning ...

Dear Peter,
My apologies for the delay in our response.
Yes, Comma Motorway is the same oil as X-Flow Type MOT 20W-50.
Please let me know if you have any further queries or issues.

Best regards,

Ta daaaaaaaah!

Thanks..... just purchased as the ST is due an oil change, and this will save me dosh.

Bubb

It's only a fiver more for Motul 3000 via opie oils / ebay and that does meet the required spec .

I’ve just ordered 18 litres, I’ve got 3 oil changes to do over the winter, Sam Lovegrove was on Henry Coles junk and disorderly last night, he was doing an oil service on a Matchless 500, using Comma 20/50, he seems to be very knowledgeable so if he’s ok using it then that’s fine by me.

If you're down East Sussex way, i get this for £16.99 for 4.5L at Jempsons petrol station in Peasmarsh
Some information which should prove useful: I used to run my GS paralever on Unipart 20-50. This was available some time even after the demise of the business. I then switched to Comma Motorway 20-50. Then this disappeared from shelves! Searching around, I came across another Comma 20-50. Here it is at a bargain price ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Comm...747326&hash=item23c8184957:g:SY4AAOSwTuJYob57

Unfortunately there was no info available re its SAE rating! So, I contacted Comma technical help and got this initial reply:

The X-Flow type MOT 20W-50 meets the requirements for SAE 20W-50 and contains a good level of additives. However, this product has not undergone the commercial investment in engine testing to validate a specific level of performance like API or ACEA specifications and others a basic protection.

Hmmmmmmm! I mulled this over and then it occurred that this might simply be a marketing issue? i.e. the product was new in terms of its market presence but maybe an "old" oil? So I asked them! I got the following reply this morning ...

Dear Peter,
My apologies for the delay in our response.
Yes, Comma Motorway is the same oil as X-Flow Type MOT 20W-50.
Please let me know if you have any further queries or issues.

Best regards,

Ta daaaaaaaah!

Is the Comma going to be OK for the 1150? I think it is SG or SH it needs..... 20-50 would be fine, it is the other bit I am not so sure about, although I don't thrash it.

Mines arrived already...... R80ST can get an oil change this weekend!

Doesn’t say “motorway” on the containers....I think its going to be fine for the airheads

Back
Top Bottom