Oops - help needed with Nav 5 problem

richardbd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've managed to snap the SD card in my Nav5, with the card half in and half out of the slot. The bit that's in there ain't giving up its hidey hole without a fight and I don't want to make the situation worse with further bungling.

Any bright ideas?

:nenau:nenau

Can you push in the broken half, to mate just enough with its other half, to be able to push the pair in far enough to release the spring loaded catch?

Can you push the broken half in with say a paper clip.

How on earth did you manage to snap an SD card in the device’s slot..... one careful owner.....:D :beerjug:

PS A Google of: snapped sd card removed from slot throws up some ideas. Some other variation of the six words might throw up some more.

For example, I found this, which confirms my paper clip idea:

Pull With Tweezers

If the microSD card is visible and the eject mechanism does not work, you may be able to remove the card with a small pair of tweezers. Shut down the computer and remove all power sources, and then pinch the tweezers small enough to get into the card slot, but leaving enough room to fit around the card. Grab on to the card and pull to force the card out. Alternatively, if the card is jammed in such a way that the tweezers can't grab onto it, insert a thin object like a straightened paperclip, nail file or flathead screwdriver into the slot, apply pressure to the microSD card with the object, and then slide the card out of the slot.

The same search words turned up:

http://bethhaas.me/blog/2015/6/25/remove-broken-microsd-card-garmin-nuvi-1450

This too:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhmsIsCg_PY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking at the image its a tight squeeze you probably going to need tweezers [med kit?] or a thin hooked wire to get past the part and pull it our similar in use to removing a broken key

3b78d1c92b11f5eb05b5cf10926e63e1.png

9d900a721883090381a8aff96a38468f.png

cut an old debit card into a similar sized width. Push the broken sd card to unhinge it/ release it from the device clamp thing..... Tip upside down?

Thanks Chaps.

Feel gauge probably best idea so far. trouble is the last time I had anything with an engine that needed those, I still had hair :)

Tried the use of the stub, paper clip etc but no success. The dude in the video who opened up the NUVI has more patience (and skill) than me. I reckon if I still can't crack it in the morning, it'll be down the road to the local PC repair shop. Either that or a Nav6...

:blast

Think you will struggle to get feelers narrow enough to fit in the slot, to be honest.

Use some transparent packaging plastic cut thin enough. (The kind that rip your hands to pieces when you try to open them)

Thanks Chaps.

Feel gauge probably best idea so far. trouble is the last time I had anything with an engine that needed those, I still had hair :)

Tried the use of the stub, paper clip etc but no success. The dude in the video who opened up the NUVI has more patience (and skill) than me. I reckon if I still can't crack it in the morning, it'll be down the road to the local PC repair shop. Either that or a Nav6...

:blast

I can sell you a Nav V, if you want another one.

£275

Returned to factory settings.

Used but not abused and not ‘improved’ by a less than careful owner. No scratches to the screen. I have used it as a back-up only.

Cut the end of a 8mm cable tie so it is square. That should be robust enough to apply pressure to the broken piece so it releases, but still flexible enough to access the slot at an angle. As others have said, it should then drop out.

Back
Top Bottom