Nav VI - Following Routes

If Basecamp uploads like My Route App, which is brilliant by the way, it will upload a track as well as a route. Open the track then via the 3 lines top left select 'convert to route'. You'll then have route exactly as you want it. If you go off route use the wheel on your left handle bar to zoom out and make your way back to the highlighted route. Don't let it reclaulate as it'll be as it wants you to go rather than your pre planned route.

If Basecamp uploads like My Route App, which is brilliant by the way, it will upload a track as well as a route. Open the track then via the 3 lines top left select 'convert to route'. You'll then have route exactly as you want it. If you go off route use the wheel on your left handle bar to zoom out and make your way back to the highlighted route. Don't let it reclaulate as it'll be as it wants you to go rather than your pre planned route.

Yes that's what i'm doing. Fingers crossed it should all work ok then! Thanks

There's a fundamental you need to understand. There is no such thing as a route! There are a sequence of coordinates known as way points that get transferred to a device. The device then calculates a route between these coordinates but guided by the parameters in settings.

So add more way points at critical points, ideally beyond major junctions, and then your satnav will calculate a route. You then can check it on its map to see if its OK and adjust by adding shaping or waypoints

What an odd way of designing a sat nav, that can't follow a pre planned route without other way points?

Within Basecamp how do I add more way points then? Thanks

Where to start....

1. Your GPS device is making a recalculation of your route before you start, as you created it originally outside of BaseCamp. You simply used BaseCamp as a medium to get it from Google into your GPS device *. The problem probably lies in that Google map’s map is different to Garmin’s map, therefore the roads may well not line up exactly. You have created a route that follows Google’s roads, your poor device is now trying to match them to roads that it knows are there

2. There is no way of us knowing how you created your route (other than it was done in Google) so we have no way of knowing if there are shaping points or waypoints in between the start point A in your route and its end point, B

3. I am guessing, as you haven’t given us a screen shot, that when you first open the route on your device you are given two choices: Go to start point A or Go to end point B and nothing else? You chose end point B, perhaps? If you were a long way from A, or a long way from your route (ignore the bloke who said there is no such thing as a route, he’s only confused you) and / or a long way from B, your device will do exactly as you have told it to do: It will take you from wherever you are to B, down roads that it selects according to your preference settings. If there is only only one road from where you are to B and that (by chance) corresponded with your route, then it will follow your route exactly.... unless, that is, for example, a motorway and you had set your preferences to avoid motorways, in which case it may take you all around the houses.

You have then mixed other, unrelated, questions into the one thread. Concentrate on one thing at a time. If you have a secondary question, a third, tenth or even 100th (it matters not) start a fresh thread, that keeps things on topic.

My advice:

1. Get used to using BaseCamp properly. It really is not hard. Using it removes one key variable at a stroke, in that it removes the sometimes unwanted guff that comes through from third party software.... one of the most common problems we see here on these pages

2. There is a string of very good, ‘How to use BaseCamp’ videos. Watch them https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/455445-Some-good-BaseCamp-tutorial-videos

3. Read the instructions (including the download owners manual) on your very expensive and very powerful - but sometimes (not often) incredibly stupid - GPS device

4. The best way to learn is to experiment. You are going on the NC 500, in essence that is one road, easily shown on a map. Create your route for it and see what happens. If it doesn’t work, it won’t be a disaster as you can just follow the signs or use a paper map

5. Learn what a shaping point is. Learn what a waypoint is. Learn how they work. The answers to these are explained in this part of the forum, on line and (just about) in the owner’s handbook

6. Learn what Preference settings mean and what they do. This will include automatic or promoted or no recalculation, just as much as it will include avoiding toll roads. Learn the dangers of setting too many preferences to ‘on’. You’ll forget and moan like hell that your stupid device keeps routing you off the motorway. Preference settings and multiple avoidances are only really useful for bods who just want to do nothing more than get a dumb device to tell them how to get from A to B, down twisty roads and avoiding motorways.... they do not want to do any planning themselves; which is fine.

7. Learn how, within your Nav VI itself, you can change a waypoint into a shaping point and visa-versa

8. Learn how, by using the very powerful BaseCamp software, you can give waypoints certain pre-determined qualities. For a simple example, if you have a route A to C, via waypoint B, the device will tell you it will take you X number of hours / minutes to complete the journey. Let’s pretend that waypoint B is a lunch stop that you want to take an hour over. You can give the waypoint the attribute that you will be there for one hour. The software will then extend the journey time by one hour

9. Learn how to give your routes individual date and start times. They will then appear in Trip Planner in sequential date and time order, just like a calendar. If you create two alternative routes for say next Tuesday, one not using a motorway, the other taking one, as you are not sure what the weather will be like, you can give the motorway route a start time of say 30 minutes later as it will be quicker. It will appear in its time slot on the day, after the non-motorway route. This will help you remember (when it is peeing down and you are miles from home) which route is which

10. Learn how YOU (not me or anyone else) likes to name your routes, rather than have the software automatically name then for you. Use names that you think will make sense when you are maybe 1000 miles from home on day three of your adventure. Me? If I had a route that left A to go to C via B, I would probably name it C via B from A. Why would I do it that way? Because it makes sense to me to do it that way. Modern GPS devices and their associated generic software are all but PC’s in their own right, with the emphasis on the P of Personal. What makes sense to me, personally, may not make any sense to you. That is fine; do what works reliably for you.... but.... learn the basics, as some of them you cannot do anything but Garmin’s way. Learn them and everything else becomes very easy. As I said, the devices are now very clever but sometimes very stupid

11. Learn some of the tricks and tips that appear on the GPS section of the forum; it really is very good. For example, I learned the trick of placing a waypoint (a point that I must go through) say a mile or so from my start point. Why? When I select the route in Trip Planner I will see GO TO: A (my start point) B (the waypoint one mile away) or C (the end point). If I am not exactly at my start point A or even close to the route, I know that if I chose B the device will route me there and then automatically run the route to C thereafter. I never or rarely used waypoints in my routes, favouring shaping points instead. I have now grown to love the careful (as opposed to shotgun) use of waypoints as a part of a route

12. Learn how to break routes up. I would suggest not putting the whole of the NC 500 adventure into your device as one single route. If you haven’t great. If you have, well that’s up to you.... it’s the P in Personal, again

Richard

* Even routes nicely and neatly created from the start in BaseCamp might well recalculate when they are loaded into a Garmin device’s memory and from there into Trip Planner. 99 times (or more) out of 100 that does not matter, as the nicely and neatly created route will be recreated faithfully in Trip Planner...... one golden rule, though:

Check ALL your routes on your device BEFORE you leave the comfort of your home and PC. Mending things there is a lot easier than scratching your head 100’s of miles from home. Immodestly, I think I am pretty good at Garmin GPS devices, having used them since their earliest incarnations and before that Palm Pilots or whatever they were called. Even now they sometimes throw me something odd but I know enough not to panic and can ignore a sudden bizarre instruction to ride (in the right direction) for miles and then make a bizarre U-turn before coming back again, all seemingly on one correct magenta route line. If nothing else, I can turn it off and just use it as a map.

Have fun.... you are only just beginning.

:beerjug:

Hi mate

I’m in Bradford, I know my way around Basecamp and the Nav V/VI, I’d be happy to sit down with you and help you work things out. PM me if you want to take up my offer.

Rich

Where to start....

1. Your GPS device is making a recalculation of your route before you start, as you created it originally outside of BaseCamp. You simply used BaseCamp as a medium to get it from Google into your GPS device *. The problem probably lies in that Google map’s map is different to Garmin’s map, therefore the roads may well not line up exactly. You have created a route that follows Google’s roads, your poor device is now trying to match them to roads that it knows are there

2. There is no way of us knowing how you created your route (other than it was done in Google) so we have no way of knowing if there are shaping points or waypoints in between the start point A in your route and its end point, B

3. I am guessing, as you haven’t given us a screen shot, that when you first open the route on your device you are given two choices: Go to start point A or Go to end point B and nothing else? You chose end point B, perhaps? If you were a long way from A, or a long way from your route (ignore the bloke who said there is no such thing as a route, he’s only confused you) and / or a long way from B, your device will do exactly as you have told it to do: It will take you from wherever you are to B, down roads that it selects according to your preference settings. If there is only only one road from where you are to B and that (by chance) corresponded with your route, then it will follow your route exactly.... unless, that is, for example, a motorway and you had set your preferences to avoid motorways, in which case it may take you all around the houses.

You have then mixed other, unrelated, questions into the one thread. Concentrate on one thing at a time. If you have a secondary question, a third, tenth or even 100th (it matters not) start a fresh thread, that keeps things on topic.

My advice:

1. Get used to using BaseCamp properly. It really is not hard. Using it removes one key variable at a stroke, in that it removes the sometimes unwanted guff that comes through from third party software.... one of the most common problems we see here on these pages

2. There is a string of very good, ‘How to use BaseCamp’ videos. Watch them https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/455445-Some-good-BaseCamp-tutorial-videos

3. Read the instructions (including the download owners manual) on your very expensive and very powerful - but sometimes (not often) incredibly stupid - GPS device

4. The best way to learn is to experiment. You are going on the NC 500, in essence that is one road, easily shown on a map. Create your route for it and see what happens. If it doesn’t work, it won’t be a disaster as you can just follow the signs or use a paper map

5. Learn what a shaping point is. Learn what a waypoint is. Learn how they work. The answers to these are explained in this part of the forum, on line and (just about) in the owner’s handbook

6. Learn what Preference settings mean and what they do. This will include automatic or promoted or no recalculation, just as much as it will include avoiding toll roads. Learn the dangers of setting too many preferences to ‘on’. You’ll forget and moan like hell that your stupid device keeps routing you off the motorway. Preference settings and multiple avoidances are only really useful for bods who just want to do nothing more than get a dumb device to tell them how to get from A to B, down twisty roads and avoiding motorways.... they do not want to do any planning themselves; which is fine.

7. Learn how, within your Nav VI itself, you can change a waypoint into a shaping point and visa-versa

8. Learn how, by using the very powerful BaseCamp software, you can give waypoints certain pre-determined qualities. For a simple example, if you have a route A to C, via waypoint B, the device will tell you it will take you X number of hours / minutes to complete the journey. Let’s pretend that waypoint B is a lunch stop that you want to take an hour over. You can give the waypoint the attribute that you will be there for one hour. The software will then extend the journey time by one hour

9. Learn how to give your routes individual date and start times. They will then appear in Trip Planner in sequential date and time order, just like a calendar. If you create two alternative routes for say next Tuesday, one not using a motorway, the other taking one, as you are not sure what the weather will be like, you can give the motorway route a start time of say 30 minutes later as it will be quicker. It will appear in its time slot on the day, after the non-motorway route. This will help you remember (when it is peeing down and you are miles from home) which route is which

10. Learn how YOU (not me or anyone else) likes to name your routes, rather than have the software automatically name then for you. Use names that you think will make sense when you are maybe 1000 miles from home on day three of your adventure. Me? If I had a route that left A to go to C via B, I would probably name it C via B from A. Why would I do it that way? Because it makes sense to me to do it that way. Modern GPS devices and their associated generic software are all but PC’s in their own right, with the emphasis on the P of Personal. What makes sense to me, personally, may not make any sense to you. That is fine; do what works reliably for you.... but.... learn the basics, as some of them you cannot do anything but Garmin’s way. Learn them and everything else becomes very easy. As I said, the devices are now very clever but sometimes very stupid

11. Learn some of the tricks and tips that appear on the GPS section of the forum; it really is very good. For example, I learned the trick of placing a waypoint (a point that I must go through) say a mile or so from my start point. Why? When I select the route in Trip Planner I will see GO TO: A (my start point) B (the waypoint one mile away) or C (the end point). If I am not exactly at my start point A or even close to the route, I know that if I chose B the device will route me there and then automatically run the route to C thereafter. I never or rarely used waypoints in my routes, favouring shaping points instead. I have now grown to love the careful (as opposed to shotgun) use of waypoints as a part of a route

12. Learn how to break routes up. I would suggest not putting the whole of the NC 500 adventure into your device as one single route. If you haven’t great. If you have, well that’s up to you.... it’s the P in Personal, again

Richard

* Even routes nicely and neatly created from the start in BaseCamp might well recalculate when they are loaded into a Garmin device’s memory and from there into Trip Planner. 99 times (or more) out of 100 that does not matter, as the nicely and neatly created route will be recreated faithfully in Trip Planner...... one golden rule, though:

Check ALL your routes on your device BEFORE you leave the comfort of your home and PC. Mending things there is a lot easier than scratching your head 100’s of miles from home. Immodestly, I think I am pretty good at Garmin GPS devices, having used them since their earliest incarnations and before that Palm Pilots or whatever they were called. Even now they sometimes throw me something odd but I know enough not to panic and can ignore a sudden bizarre instruction to ride (in the right direction) for miles and then make a bizarre U-turn before coming back again, all seemingly on one correct magenta route line. If nothing else, I can turn it off and just use it as a map.

Have fun.... you are only just beginning.

:beerjug:

Thanks very much for this. Very helpful and detailed!

To pick up on some of your questions...

I have created the route on google, example here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bet...73d7e83b1f0!2m2!1d-3.0494391!2d57.0501623!3e0

converted it the GPX, loaded as a track in Basecamp, converted it a Route in basecamp and then sent to Nav IV unit. The route created in Basecamp (with Nav IV plugged in to PC) is exactly the same as the Google route. I only have start and end waypoints, and these come up in the list when i start the route on the Nav IV. No mid points or anything like that.

So if I start the route when I'm near the route start point (eg my hotel), I should just load my route up from trip planner and click go to start point, and that will then follow my pre planned route? I've turned off all the recalculation options so it should be ok if i go wrong just need to go back on track and they continue to follow thew route?

I'll go back and follow up on all your points, however I'm setting off on Saturday!

Thanks again.

Hi mate

I’m in Bradford, I know my way around Basecamp and the Nav V/VI, I’d be happy to sit down with you and help you work things out. PM me if you want to take up my offer.

Rich

Thanks so much mate, kind of you. I'll take you up on that, however I'm leaving on Saturday so will be after when I'm back. If I ever do get back!

Thanks very much for this. Very helpful and detailed!

To pick up on some of your questions...

I have created the route on google, example here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bet...73d7e83b1f0!2m2!1d-3.0494391!2d57.0501623!3e0

converted it the GPX, loaded as a track in Basecamp, converted it a Route in basecamp and then sent to Nav IV unit. The route created in Basecamp (with Nav IV plugged in to PC) is exactly the same as the Google route. I only have start and end waypoints, and these come up in the list when i start the route on the Nav IV. No mid points or anything like that.

So if I start the route when I'm near the route start point (eg my hotel), I should just load my route up from trip planner and click go to start point, and that will then follow my pre planned route? I've turned off all the recalculation options so it should be ok if i go wrong just need to go back on track and they continue to follow thew route?

I'll go back and follow up on all your points, however I'm setting off on Saturday!

Thanks again.

OK, great. So we now know that the route on your GPS has a start point A and end point B, with no shaping points or waypoints in between. That’s fine. We also now know that, despite recalculation, it matches with the route you originally created in Google maps; that’s fine, too. You are near enough good to go, I guess.

If you are close to (or miles from) your start point and you select A, the device will direct you to exactly point A and start running your route to B automatically from there.

If you want to avoid that, summon up the route in Route Planner. It will appear on the map screen as normal. Do not press GO. Simply navigate yourself (you may well need to zoom in) to the magenta line. When you are on it, pointing in the right direction, hit GO and the device should run your route normally from there, all the way to B.

Yes, as you have turned off auto-recalculation, if you go off route you can just navigate yourself back to the magenta line again. The device sometimes takes a while to realise that you have rejoined the magenta route again. I don’t know why. You’ll get used to it. Eventually its little brain will catch-up though. Just make sure you are moving in the right direction along it.....

OK, great. So we now know that the route on your GPS has a start point A and end point B, with no shaping points or waypoints in between. That’s fine. We also now know that, despite recalculation, it matches with the route you originally created in Google maps; that’s fine, too. You are near enough good to go, I guess.

If you are close to (or miles from) your start point and you select A, the device will direct you to exactly point A and start running your route to B automatically from there.

If you want to avoid that, summon up the route in Route Planner. It will appear on the map screen as normal. Do not press GO. Simply navigate yourself (you may well need to zoom in) to the magenta line. When you are on it, pointing in the right direction, hit GO and the device should run your route normally from there, all the way to B.

Yes, as you have turned off auto-recalculation, if you go off route you can just navigate yourself back to the magenta line again. The device sometimes takes a while to realise that you have rejoined the magenta route again. I don’t know why. You’ll get used to it. Eventually its little brain will catch-up though. Just make sure you are moving in the right direction along it.....

Good stuff thanks again. Sounds like I'm all set up and ready to go then! I'll follow your tip of getting on the route and starting the route from there. How can I load my route on the main map without pressing Go! though?

This is the tour i'm doing! https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w212iqhv9gypvy/Route.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

It will appear by default.

It will be a complete view of your route, plus the position of your bike. The map won’t automatically scroll though, so you’ll need to drag it around and zoom in and out as you ride towards the magenta line. Bikes with the whirly wheel thing make it easy to zoom in and out (at least on a 1600 it is) but to scroll around, you’ll need to do it by hand.

It will appear by default.

It will be a complete view of your route, plus the position of your bike. The map won’t automatically scroll though, so you’ll need to drag it around and zoom in and out as you ride towards the magenta line. Bikes with the whirly wheel thing make it easy to zoom in and out (at least on a 1600 it is) but to scroll around, you’ll need to do it by hand.

Perfect, I can use the wheel thing. Time to get excited now!

You have been a big help. Lots of mis information out there, and you have explained things in a very clear way. Thanks again.

The truth is it’s a very simple device, made complicated only because bods have asked Garmin to make them more and more of an ‘experience’ to enhance their ‘riding pleasure’, morphing the device into some sort overblown home infotainment system.

Garmin should leave that to the phone companies (witness how many now use a smart phone to take them from A to B) and get back to what they do best, navigating owners from A to B down routes they (the owners) have created, with just a simple option to let the device chose A to B, for those that cannot be arsed.

See how you get on when you are away. Start a fresh thread if you get stuck or have a question. You’ll be fine..... despite the rain.....

The truth is it’s a very simple device, made complicated only because bods have asked Garmin to make them more and more of an ‘experience’ to enhance their ‘riding pleasure’, morphing the device into some sort overblown home infotainment system.

Garmin should leave that to the phone companies (witness how many now use a smart phone to take them from A to B) and get back to what they do best, navigating owners from A to B down routes they (the owners) have created, with just a simple option to let the device chose A to B, for those that cannot be arsed.

See how you get on when you are away. Start a fresh thread if you get stuck or have a question. You’ll be fine..... despite the rain.....

Cheers! Fingers crossed for at least an hour of dry weather!

Wapping, just wanted to say it’s my last day of my scotland tour tomorrow and over the last 5 days the Nav Iv has been perfect, following my routes just as plotted, and behaving just like you said it would. Fantastic!

Thanks again for your help.

Excellent.

Fingers crossed for the last day and the journey home.

Richard

PS Now get to know and love BaseCamp.......

Excellent.

Fingers crossed for the last day and the journey home.

Richard

PS Now get to know and love BaseCamp.......

Thanks!

Not sure I need to be an expert in basecamp when everything has worked so well plotting on google and then just sending to base camp to get it on the nav?

Back
Top Bottom