Nav VI - Following Routes

MF-Racing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just planning my NC500/Skye/Scotland trip that I'm taking my 1250GS on next week. First proper trip away on it!

I've been using Basecamp and finally got the hang of it, I create both a track and a route (I'm using tracks as well as I'm using GPX files from a routes created on Google maps, much easer then Basecamp) in Basecamp and then download them into the Nav VI. All good so fine. The Tracks/Routes appear in the Tracks/Trip Planner apps on the Nav VI, all look good when shown on the map.

So I go to Trip Planner app, and select my route, press Go!, select next destination of my end point, press start. It then starts calculating the route, I now look at the route its produced, and it is different to what I have planned? How come? Why is it not just following the route I've planned, why is it recalculating it? Must be a way to force it to use the route I planned?

Also, when I'm following my route, if i miss a turn etc, I don't want the nav to re-route me, I just want it to tell me to turn round and get back on the correct route, can it do that?

Cheers guys!:beerjug:

When you select your next destination, if you have a choice of the waypoint for the start of the route and one for the destination, try telling it to go to the start waypoint. Mine does the same, if I select the destination it recalculates, if I select the start waypoint, I go through that and then my route follows. You might find this also depends on where you are on the route, ie if your start waypoint is behind or in front of you. But give it a try. Forgive the vagueness but I had similar issues with mine and have only used it 3 or 4 times for that purpose but that is what I found.
Hope this helps.
Nigel

When you select your next destination, if you have a choice of the waypoint for the start of the route and one for the destination, try telling it to go to the start waypoint. Mine does the same, if I select the destination it recalculates, if I select the start waypoint, I go through that and then my route follows. You might find this also depends on where you are on the route, ie if your start waypoint is behind or in front of you. But give it a try. Forgive the vagueness but I had similar issues with mine and have only used it 3 or 4 times for that purpose but that is what I found.
Hope this helps.
Nigel

Humm I'll try that Nigel, seems to make sense. Thanks.

Also check that the navigation setting on Nav 6 and Basecamp is the same (fastest, shortest, twisty etc.). You may still get some variation, to which my normal solution is to add another way point. One trick is often to place the way points in the middle of nowhere, rather than in the middle of towns. That way you enter and/leave on the road you (and not the Nav6) wanted to.

Good luck...

Also, when I'm following my route, if i miss a turn etc, I don't want the nav to re-route me, I just want it to tell me to turn round and get back on the correct route, can it do that?

Go in to the navigation settings on your Nav and you will see the option to turn off auto recalculate or have it as prompt. When following a planned route I always have it set to off. It's dead easy on a GS with TFT to zoom in and out of the map using the wizz wheel. I then just map read my way around the road closure (happens all the time in France) or go back to my planned route.

As others have said, be careful which waypoint you select to navigate too. If you are not actually on your planned route and you select the end waypoint the Nav will just ignore whatever route you planned and navigate you there using the preferences in the Nav which could be peage. I always set my first waypoint at least 500m from where I'm starting from and select navigate to there first, once you pass through that waypoint you are on your route and all should be fine. If for some reason you don't actually hit that first waypoint the bloody nav will continually try and turn you round to go to it so make sure it's on your route.

It's a dumb instrument. Particularly the Garmin devices, once you understand that and how to ensure it does what you want it to do they are great

the easiest way to end your problems is to sign up to myroute app gold,simple and works

oh and all the answers to the basecamp nav vi issues are in the gps section !

Hi guys,

Just planning my NC500/Skye/Scotland trip that I'm taking my 1250GS on next week. First proper trip away on it!

I've been using Basecamp and finally got the hang of it, I create both a track and a route (I'm using tracks as well as I'm using GPX files from a routes created on Google maps, much easer then Basecamp) in Basecamp and then download them into the Nav VI. All good so fine. The Tracks/Routes appear in the Tracks/Trip Planner apps on the Nav VI, all look good when shown on the map.

So I go to Trip Planner app, and select my route, press Go!, select next destination of my end point, press start. It then starts calculating the route, I now look at the route its produced, and it is different to what I have planned? How come? Why is it not just following the route I've planned, why is it recalculating it? Must be a way to force it to use the route I planned?

Firstly in settings, set FASTEST ROUTE, SET NO U TURNS, SET pROMPT RECALCULATE

Secondly, Open your route on your nav then 1. Recalculate Fast Route, then 2. Recalculate Shortest Route, then 3. Recalculate fastest route

Your now good to go.

Go into the nav settings navigation I think, select prompted recalculate, you will then be asked if you want to recalcu are or not.
Are you putting way points along your route? When you write a route you are just putting way points along the roads you want to travel , the nav will follow the way points and nothing else, making up it's own way between them according to fastest/ quickest etc settings you have set.

Turn the re-calculate off and set to go to the start of the route. If you go off route to the right of the route then take roads to your left to get you back on route. That is if you don't want to do a U turn.

If you miss a waypoint on the route then make sure to skip waypoint or the satnav will want to take you back to the missed waypoint. I've noticed that if I get into a route and I stop getting direction instructions through the headset and on the screen, it normally means that I've missed a waypoint without realising. Skip waypoints until you start to get instructions again.

Also check that the navigation setting on Nav 6 and Basecamp is the same (fastest, shortest, twisty etc.). You may still get some variation, to which my normal solution is to add another way point. One trick is often to place the way points in the middle of nowhere, rather than in the middle of towns. That way you enter and/leave on the road you (and not the Nav6) wanted to.

Good luck...

I agree that this could be your problem. Look at this video below. It's so simple even I can do it. I then used his method to plan a very successful trip to the Picos in May. No other person On You Tube does it like him and I prefer his way. He is also super helpful if you experience issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZvZXzJI5s&list=WL&index=12&t=24s

Cheers guys, great help. I'll go through all the settings on the Nav IV tonight and work it out. Few questions...

I'm just using a start and end waypoint is that an issue? I've drawn the route I want between these two. Will just be stopping on route and hopefully not going off it.

If I do go wrong, with auto recalculate off what will I see on the Nav IV? Will it try to route me back to where I went wrong or do I just have to find the route again myself, and pick it back up? Will it freak out if i do a U turn?

I'll report back! Hopefully it will all work, got 1700 miles worth of routes over 6 days planned out on Basecamp.

Cheers

Cheers guys, great help. I'll go through all the settings on the Nav IV tonight and work it out. Few questions...

I'm just using a start and end waypoint is that an issue? I've drawn the route I want between these two. Will just be stopping on route and hopefully not going off it.

If I do go wrong, with auto recalculate off what will I see on the Nav IV? Will it try to route me back to where I went wrong or do I just have to find the route again myself, and pick it back up? Will it freak out if i do a U turn?

I'll report back! Hopefully it will all work, got 1700 miles worth of routes over 6 days planned out on Basecamp.

Cheers

If you want a route to follow then it needs intermediate waypoints (when you have used the maximum waypoint you can use shaping points) as its waypoints that the nav will use to calculate a route.

If you only use an end waypoint then when off route it will calculate to the next waypoint which will be the fastest route.

Cheers

If you want a route to follow then it needs intermediate waypoints (when you have used the maximum waypoint you can use shaping points) as its waypoints that the nav will use to calculate a route.

If you only use an end waypoint then when off route it will calculate to the next waypoint which will be the fastest route.

With the Nav V, there's a limit of 27 waypoints. You can have loadsa shaping points, though. However, if the route gets recalculated, all shaping points to the next proper waypoint will get discarded. Create your route with a mix, using shaping points to, well, 'shape' the route. Use Waypoints for the "must" visit places. TBH, I only resort to shaping points if I can't create my route within 27 waypoints.

I'm doing the route calculation on Basecamp, not on the Nav. Expect when I load the route on the Nav it does re-calculate it (seems no option for don't re-calculate?). Why can't it just follow the route loaded in from Basecamp? How do I get it to do that?

Thanks

I'm doing the route calculation on Basecamp, not on the Nav. Expect when I load the route on the Nav it does re-calculate it (seems no option for don't re-calculate?). Why can't it just follow the route loaded in from Basecamp? How do I get it to do that?

Thanks

There's a fundamental you need to understand. There is no such thing as a route! There are a sequence of coordinates known as way points that get transferred to a device. The device then calculates a route between these coordinates but guided by the parameters in settings.

So add more way points at critical points, ideally beyond major junctions, and then your satnav will calculate a route. You then can check it on its map to see if its OK and adjust by adding shaping or waypoints

Back
Top Bottom