External Fuel Filter

£10 ish here:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/mahle-original-7938332.html

For the sake of a tenner, and the fact it has lasted 38,000 miles already I am just going to fit a new filter at 40,000 miles and that should see me for another 5 years on this bike. On the long range bike, with TT tank and original tank I have external filters, just cheap plastic ones available from M&P, I shall do the same thing and replace the in tank filter with OEM and again, that should be fine. The TT tank is where I fill from, and it drains into the standard tank, so prefiltering between the two should me pretty safe, the fuel pump is getting filtered fuel, then the injectors are getting it filtered again.

I think, back in 2012, when people started asking about external filters the originals weren't available and they were having to do dodges. Now, 10 years after the bikes were built the initial 'protectionism' has been lifted, so we don't have the problem anymore. :thumby:

Yeah, might be the best idea.

Guessing you have an XCo as your main and the XCh is the long range bike?

Yeah, might be the best idea.

Guessing you have an XCo as your main and the XCh is the long range bike?

Correct, along with the resurrected 1150 Adv, which I used last Saturday to nip up to Greenock for the Scottish Boat Show to do some photography for a new boat and test it for the magazine... 636 miles round trip in the day - up in the morning, all day on the water, back in the evening! The X Challenge would have been much cheaper, but I need to get it fixed, the rear shock has no damping, just BOING. So it is like riding a pogo stick.

I had one fitted to my 1100gs and the fuel pump made a really loud whining noise - loud at speed with an open face and ear plugs.
The bike ran fine but I couldn’t put up with the noise so changed back.
Not sure if this would be the same on your bike but.......

You need to change the Mahle anyway, it gums up internally and the injection won't work properly. If you look at alu of the filter, the white plastic of the pump or the mesh bag it'll be covered in this gunk. Cheers Josey

You need to change the Mahle anyway, it gums up internally and the injection won't work properly. If you look at alu of the filter, the white plastic of the pump or the mesh bag it'll be covered in this gunk. Cheers Josey

When you say 'change the Mahle', do you mean for a fresh filter, or do you mean change the system from the Mahle to something else?

Back
Top Bottom