Side stand on 2015 1200 GS. How strong is it?

Trooper104

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dipping my toe into my first GS after 20yrs on RT’s. Need your advice please.
How strong is the side stand. Will it hold up to full luggage loaded, then me standing on the near side foot-peg to climb on and off again. If I do it the normal way being short in the leg I hit the panniers getting on and off.
Does anyone else get on and off this way when loaded?
It’s a standard GS on low seat setting. It’s OK without panniers on but today first time fully loaded with Varios extended I found it much easier climbing on but concerned that the stand is not up to this, or is it?

I can only comment on mine as its a 2008, but mine is flipin strong! i have spun the bike round on it fully loaded with my son on the back (long story got stuck in a dead end)

I had no issue fully loaded and i am 18 stone.

Occasionally get on and off a 2015 GSA like this and its done 25+k miles with no apparent issues. Also worth noting that it's been tightly strapped down on the side stand when on Brittany Ferries more times than I can count so weakness of the sidestand doesn't seem to be an issue on these bikes.

I spin mine around on it fully loaded and no problem at all.

Many thanks Guys.
It’s reassuring to know that it will hold the weight of me getting on and off this way.
Now only issue outstanding is the LED Aux lights not being waterproof but that is a known problem.
Still a great bike though.

Back
Top Bottom