Jetboil? whats it about?

Reactor is more efficient, it heats water more quickly and has the big advantage of being windproof. I have both and often take the Jetboil as it is a nice compact unit and I have the adaptor to let me use it with a normal pan. Whichever you use, you need to be aware of your gas usage so you don't run out. Easiest way I know to measure how much is left is to float a full can in water and mark the water line, do again when empty and the gap is your gas, so easy to mark halfway etc. Then use the empty tin as a template for new ones. Doesn't matter I guess if you never go too far from gas shops but important if you do.

I always store one of the diddy cannisters inside either the MSR or Jetboil as a spare. Not that I fancy balancing a towering Jetboil on one without the base support feet thing fitted.
Nothing like firing up that silent, radiant Reactor burner on a cold morning to warm your tent porch up! :thumb

Ive never seen one of these jet boils in use, but I've heard they do boil really fast. I like to cook slow so use my Trangia for everything, got it on gas and will boil my kettle in a couple of minutes which is quick enough for me, but love the way it simmers food and never blows out. May get the multi fuel kit for it but in Europe canisters are cheap and everywhere plus they burn the cleanest.

I did purchase one in the end for a recent trip away,

and never used it lol ;)

If I’ve no intention of cooking because I’m stopping in hotels when I’m away in Europe I still take the Jetboil so I can have a brew in the morning plus it’s not unknown for me to stop in the middle of the day somewhere with no facilities and just make a quick brew while I have a 15 minute chill.

It works well but they are NOTHING special, the alpkit ones and others of the type are all just as good.
It is nothing more nor less than a gas cooker, nothing special, the important bit is the heat exchanger on the bottom of the pot/pan what ever, it increases the amount of surface area for the heat from the flame to access and therefore heats up quicker heat transferred to pot and thence to content of said pot it hardly fucking rocket science. A quick google search for heat exchanger camping pans, brings up a heat exchanger ring made by MSR which allows the use of any pan and gaining same or nearly advantage, Robens do a range of cookwear as do loads of other companies, all of which turn any cooker into a Jetboil or close as make no never mind.

They are great gear but fucking expensive for what is basically a bit of wavy metal attached to the bottom of your pot, loads and loads of equally good stuff out there now,

It works well but they are NOTHING special, the alpkit ones and others of the type are all just as good.
It is nothing more nor less than a gas cooker, nothing special, the important bit is the heat exchanger on the bottom of the pot/pan what ever, it increases the amount of surface area for the heat from the flame to access and therefore heats up quicker heat transferred to pot and thence to content of said pot it hardly fucking rocket science. A quick google search for heat exchanger camping pans, brings up a heat exchanger ring made by MSR which allows the use of any pan and gaining same or nearly advantage, Robens do a range of cookwear as do loads of other companies, all of which turn any cooker into a Jetboil or close as make no never mind.

They are great gear but fucking expensive for what is basically a bit of wavy metal attached to the bottom of your pot, loads and loads of equally good stuff out there now,

I’ve been waiting for someone to actually answer the question - thanks.

my main use is to fill a hot water bottle!
I have the sumo which is slightly larger

Further to my previous outburst, when jet-boil came out they were the only system of their type, however that was years ago and the alternatives are EXACTLY as efficient as the jet boil, I dont think jet boil could even patent the system and if they could have done that ran out years ago so there is a vast range of cheaper options that if for no other reason than cost are way better.

sytems

Alpkit
Fire Maple
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPFMSTR2O/fire-maple-star-fms-x2-outdoor-cooking-system---orange currently £34 having had one in my hand I cannot find anything about the jet boil that is either different or worth nearly £70 more

individual pots or heat exchangers
MSR reactor
MSR heat exchanger
Robens fire moth, tubo pot

I bought mine 13 years ago after seeing a guy in Afghan with one and still have that one! Used it all the time until I left the military 2 years ago now it comes out with me when I go camping with the family in case we want a brew during the day as its quicker than a gas kettle, it stays with me in the car during the winter (just in case) and on the bike when I go away in the summer. Cant fault it! Make sure you get the pot support so you can use frying pans etc, the canister support so it doesnt fall over and the java press for that fresh morning coffee! all packs away into the pot including a small can of gas but I take a larger can with me and use that keeping the smaller one for brews and an emergency back up. :)

I’m olds cool. Kelly Kettle does it for me. (Photo’s no mine btw)

cca799494cc00f46edfeb74bdf16de68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The myth exploded:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q1j1RI3D7Zk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, the bod gets carried away with his weighing of grammes of gas used but the end conclusion is.... the heat exchangers just ain’t worth it. I have always wondered what bods do with the minute saved boiling water for their cup of tea (also known as ‘brew’, which sounds all rugged but is nothing more than a letter longer) perhaps we’ll find out.....

I’m olds cool. Kelly Kettle does it for me. (Photo’s no mine btw)

cca799494cc00f46edfeb74bdf16de68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Me too, carry a bag of fir cones for fuel, four or five cones boils the kettle

The myth exploded:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q1j1RI3D7Zk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, the bod gets carried away with his weighing of grammes of gas used but the end conclusion is.... the heat exchangers just ain’t worth it. I have always wondered what bods do with the minute saved boiling water for their cup of tea (also known as ‘brew’, which sounds all rugged but is nothing more than a letter longer) perhaps we’ll find out.....

Each time it's used is a minutes less gas used on full blast.

The myth exploded:

Always amusing when a porker talks about lightweight kit.

Always amusing when a porker talks about lightweight kit.

I will never forget my mate demonstrating the virtues of his Primus Himalayan stove.
What it could run on at extreme altitude to melt snow, and how few grammes it weighed.

All this while frying sausages in a field, in a Le Crueset frying pan that weighed about 5 kilos.

Back
Top Bottom