Jetboil? whats it about?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been looking for somthing slightly smaller than the flat stove i have for the bike,

Seen these jetboil & clones floating around the various sites

look good, but what do they do? are they a cooking pot / cup or primarily just a heat source

Any info would be appreciated

You could do worse than have a look at MSR stuff

I know it isnt jetboil but when i was looking around the MSR Whisperlite was hard to ignore so i bought one
Packs very small and although has a fuel bottle separately it still takes little room and can be used to cook with any sized ( within reason) pan or kettle etc

Easiest way to think of them is a compact gas cooker where everything fits into the pot you cook/heat things in
There are different versions, which allow for different size pots, and also allow normal pans

the only downside is you are still reliant on gas canisters

Love mine.
Boils up a brew in a minute or so. Leave the lid on,(carefully) pick the whole thing up using the neoprene handle and pour. Not tried the Alpkit stuff but it looks similar.

It is probably the most useful bit of kit I have . If you are serious about motorcycle camping it is almost a must have .
I use it to heat water for a brew AM , Heat water for cup soup / brew at lunch , in the evening I use an MSR petrol stove for cooking main meal of the day . However if the weather is bad the petrol stove in the tent porch is to risky so I use the jet boil to heat up a ready meal ( happens very rarely ) all in all I rate it as a proper useful bit of kit . The cartridges are quite small and 5 does for 4 weeks camping .

I love mine too, I only ever boil water in it for coffee etc.
I use a pan on top of the burner (from jet boil) for cooking meals. It’s great, very stable and super quick, like ano th er post said it’s my most useful bit of kit.

I have a packed lunch bag that I always have with the bike containing a Jetboil Zip (the smallest one), lighter, collapsible cup, coffee, spork, sweetener, water and milk triangles. It is one of my most used items when I'm out for any distance on the bike.
The Jetboil heats water in about a minute which is faster than any other stove I've used.
The alternatives such as Alpkit and Highlander may well be as good, I've just not tried them. Some have an inbuilt igniter which I wish mine had, but that's the only negative I can think of.
446467add550db9066626b5acdc3f83c.jpg

Brilliant bit of kit.
Fill it with water. Add a rolled up ready meal in a foil pouch.
Bring to boil.
Eat ready meal.
Use hot water for a brew.

Great for boiling water quickly I tried the little conversion bracket so you can fit a saucepan on it.. even on the lowest setting it torched my porridge :comfort

Great for boiling water quickly I tried the little conversion bracket so you can fit a saucepan on it.. even on the lowest setting it torched my porridge :comfort

If you use the jet boil pan it will be fine

Nice bit of kit apparently, but you're out in a remote spot, camping and being all rufty tufty. Enjoying a break from it all. Do you really need a cuppa in a minute? What's the rush? I use a simple pot over an MSR pocket rocket that folds up, with canister into the pot I cook/boil tea in. Not much space saved by a jetboil, Just time it seems.

Nice bit of kit apparently, but you're out in a remote spot, camping and being all rufty tufty. Enjoying a break from it all. Do you really need a cuppa in a minute? What's the rush? I use a simple pot over an MSR pocket rocket that folds up, with canister into the pot I cook/boil tea in. Not much space saved by a jetboil, Just time it seems.

By boiling it quicker it's more efficient so using far less gas which is important on extended trips. Not that I use mine that often these days :)

Same setup only mines the PR2 and the gas seems to last forever. For convenience and space it cant be beaten :thumb

MSR Reactor is simply better!
Had one of the very first Jetboil's in the Country (still have it) so not a biased opinion.

Good if you want a quick brew.

For me it was just a bit of a one trick pony so I prefer to carry a Coleman multi which can do a lot more, and run on fuel from the tank.

Having said that I also carry a small Bialetti for morning coffee, so there goes my weight saving advantage :blast 😂

Good if you want a quick brew.

For me it was just a bit of a one trick pony so I prefer to carry a Coleman multi which can do a lot more, and run on fuel from the tank.

Having said that I also carry a small Bialetti for morning coffee, so there goes my weight saving advantage :blast :D

In what way is it better? (Not looking to argue, just wondered)

The Reactor doesn't have a flame, more a radiator burner!
This gives a spread of heat across the whole of the pot, rather than the Bunsen burner on the Jetboil.
But the real advantage the MSR has is it works under very low pressure, and works equally well on frosty mornings on nearly spent gas cannisters.
Add to this better stability, better build quality, proper handle & lid, and better performance in the wind … and you have a winner!
No piezo igniter could be a downside for some, but only a fool would rely solely on those.

Brilliant kit. Mine goes in the top box with the brew gear so i can pull up where i want and in minutes with no
fuss brew a cuppa. No petrol required, no pre-heating no pumping, it's just sooo easy and it all packs away in
minutes into itself. It does have other uses too off course. I do have an MSR Whisperlight but these days i
have gone back to my Trangia with a gas conversion :thumb2

In what way is it better? (Not looking to argue, just wondered)

Reactor is more efficient, it heats water more quickly and has the big advantage of being windproof. I have both and often take the Jetboil as it is a nice compact unit and I have the adaptor to let me use it with a normal pan. Whichever you use, you need to be aware of your gas usage so you don't run out. Easiest way I know to measure how much is left is to float a full can in water and mark the water line, do again when empty and the gap is your gas, so easy to mark halfway etc. Then use the empty tin as a template for new ones. Doesn't matter I guess if you never go too far from gas shops but important if you do.

Back
Top Bottom