ESA ON F750GS

russell

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a f750GS. There's the standard manual adjust rear suspension (which should do me) and there's the ESA ( which gives you solo, solo with luggage or two up)with electronic adjustment for hundreds of pounds. I ride solo so there won't be any changes once it's set up. My question is apart from how you adjust the set up is there any difference in the ride between the two options.:rob

Not sure and would recommend riding both. I can say that the standard 750 isn't particularly good and I was looking at changing the shock. The ESA on my new 850 GSA is superb and given it only works on the rear changes the bike substantially from one setting to the next. If I was getting a 750 again I would spec ESA for sure.

Not sure and would recommend riding both. I can say that the standard 750 isn't particularly good and I was looking at changing the shock. The ESA on my new 850 GSA is superb and given it only works on the rear changes the bike substantially from one setting to the next. If I was getting a 750 again I would spec ESA for sure.

Hmm, interesting. cheers Stonehenge

A little more - I find the ESA on the 850 (and as it has the same structure, most likely the same on the 750) to have much more range than the 2016 Euro4 R1200GSA I had. The shock is very substantial and much larger than the 1200 version. It has a large motor assembly for the preloading of the spring, much larger than the 1200 one and the hydraulic reservoir is massive as well. Not pretty but very substantial. The unit really works well for the whole machine, given that the front has no adjustment at all and in changing settings you think the front has changed as well but it hasn't. Anyway, have a ride on the ESA 750 and see what you think. All the best.

I’ve got both a 750 and an 850 - one with and one without ESA. Although not identical (different front wheel diameter, ride height etc) my thoughts are that the manual suspension is quite bouncy at rest but that translates to a smooth ride over bumps. The ESA bike has a manual front shock anyway so only operates on the rear shock. I find (just like I did on the 1200GS/GSA) that in road mode it develops a seasick feeling when going over undulations in the road which the manual bike does not. It’s not a massive deal but considering all the supposed benefits of ESA I don’t find there to be a huge difference - other than the fact that once the shock goes on the manual bike it can put in any replacement shock without ESA errors etc. I’d ride both if you can - as Stonehenge says, you may find there to big a significant difference (I’m only 72Kg so below guide weight for ESA, which often ends up with the suspension feeling choppy and bouncy) and it would be prohibitively expensive to retrofit if you don’t get it then change your mind. Given the 850GSA’s extra weight I wonder if the difference is more pronounced?

Yes. Could be that it works better on the heavier GSA and I am 6'2 and north of 100kgs :green gri

Thanks for the info guys. It seems that there is a difference between the two then. So I'll try and do as advised and test ride both types.
Great replies
cheers

Back
Top Bottom