1150GSA lights, help needed

dubster

Reaction score
Hi gents,

Sorry for the late post but would appreciate if the collective knowledge could help me out here as I need the bike tomorrow to get to a speed awareness course ... :blast:blast:blast:D

Full beam stopped working this morning... no urgent biggie I thought, but having got home I now see that the rear light isn't indicating braking; have tried front and rear levers but no dice.

Is this possibly a fuse gone or any other simple causes to check?

Thanks in advance :beerjug:
Gerry

Check the bulb contacts and power to them. Min does this all the time

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Checked contacts already, rear is still lit as normal for driving lights but no joy for brakes

Is bulb in right way round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call and thank you :thumb2

Feel like a bit of a tit now, but somehow wiser for knowing this intricacy of the oilhead electrical system. Will leave the thread open for pissstaking if appropriate :D :beerjug:

I too have done that on mine, even did it on the Micra, don't know how but they were buggers to get out when put in the wrong way..

Can someone please explain "bulb in wrong way around". I've got a strange electrical fault with the dip and main beam not coming on, on an R1150R and wonder if it could be related. I recently removed the headlight unit and bulb. I realise the issue on this thread may be purely be GS related.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can someone please explain "bulb in wrong way around". I've got a strange electrical fault with the dip and main beam not coming on, on an R1150R and wonder if it could be related. I recently removed the headlight unit and bulb. I realise the issue on this thread may be purely be GS related.

I’m assuming they mean the stop/tail lamp as the headlamp bulbs can only in one way as far as I know. Some rear lamps have stepped lugs on the side so the brighter stop lamp filament is in the right place but they can be misplaced.

Thanks, yes, I couldn't see how the headlight bulb could be plugged in wrongly. My symptoms is the dipped and main beam not working but the light comes on with the headlight flash switch. Suggests a switch or wiring issue to me. I removed the headlight prior to it failing, which makes me suspect the movement caused a wiring break. Can't seem to find a related fuse, but a failed fuse should prevent the bulb working on the flash switch.

Thanks, yes, I couldn't see how the headlight bulb could be plugged in wrongly. My symptoms is the dipped and main beam not working but the light comes on with the headlight flash switch. Suggests a switch or wiring issue to me. I removed the headlight prior to it failing, which makes me suspect the movement caused a wiring break. Can't seem to find a related fuse, but a failed fuse should prevent the bulb working on the flash switch.

Load relief relay? Switch? There's an earth cluster in the waiting loom near the headstock which is prone to corrosion.

Good luck!

Sorry the wiring diagram isn't for your bike, but it should be very similar. Bring idle, I just nicked it from an adjacent post. The correct diagram should be available via search of the forum.

Attachments

• A83A8502-3227-42B4-B673-72E3F4AE1D09.jpg
    A83A8502-3227-42B4-B673-72E3F4AE1D09.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 280
Sorry the wiring diagram isn't for your bike, but it should be very similar. Bring idle, I just nicked it from an adjacent post. The correct diagram should be available via search of the forum.

Cheeky.........:D

Might as well have the relevant one concerning lighting.

Attachments

• 7A5512BC-6B5B-4406-AADD-E10D687FA21A.jpg
    7A5512BC-6B5B-4406-AADD-E10D687FA21A.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 327
Thanks for the comments and info guys. I suspect it is something in the wiring that got disturbed when I took the headlight out and I may have put the loom under some strain. I also installed hand guards again disturbing the wiring a bit, but cant see that causing an issue. It could be a switch but as I don't believe in coincidences I suspect the work I did has triggered this. My bike is a single spark R1150R from 2002 and hadn't got a fuse 8, so I think I need a different diagram. I'll have a search on here and see if I can find it.

You’ve probably got a light switch on the right side combination switch unit.

The power for your lights comes directly from the load relief relay through your light switch to the instrument lights and the side light. And then depending on the left switch position either low or low and high beam.

It looks like you may have an earth problem. The low, high and side light all share the same common earth which is a crimp connection buried in the wiring loom. If you jump your lighting circuit with a separate good earth, and can get them to work. Then your closer to solving your problem.

Back
Top Bottom