Mac ~ Factory Reset

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
So I've nabbed my evil stepdaughter's Mac Book Air thing as a 'travel lap-top'.

I want to clear all the shit off it and get it working all tickity boo again (it's currently a bit slow due to all the stuff she's put on it).

The easiest way would be, I hope, to do a complete re-set back to factory settings.

I had a brief look on the internet last night and it would seem I have to delete everything on the disc (SSD?) and then reload the OS. Looking at the detail of what to do it does not look straight forward (for somebody like me who struggles with anything more complicated than an on/off button).

C'mon, this is a Mac. Is there really (he forlornly asks) not just a simple command/button, as on my iPhone, that will just wipe and reset everything in one foul swoop?

Andres

Restart

Hold cmd and r

Open disk utility format HDD

Then reinstall OS

Easy ish

It will. You definitely need to format the disk or it will just reinstall the OS and keep the user/files intact.

You'd probably need to download the OS you want to install on a bootable USB drive before you try and format it. It may well try and install again via wifi right enough, but that may take a while...

D.

Just to make sure - do a search for “Reset MacBook for resale”. Follow the step by step

This:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac
Create a backup. Be sure you have an up-to-date backup of your important files and data. ...
Sign out of iTunes on macOS Mojave or earlier. Open iTunes. ...
Sign out of iCloud. ...
Sign out of iMessage. ...
If you're keeping paired Bluetooth devices, unpair them (optional) ...
Erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS.
7 Oct 2019
https://support.apple.com › en-gb
What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Sign out of iCloud. ...

Yes, sign out of iCloud and disassociate the computer from your daughter's Apple ID (if she has one).
You can do this from the web if you already nuked the computer.

You can see associated devices in the Preferences under Apple ID:
aid.png

It took me a (embarrassingly) long time to understand that Apple ties the ID to the computer motherboard/serial.
Last time I switched a couple of the laptops at work, the person who got my old one got stuck with my authentication for some apps on the Apple store even after we deleted/reinstalled the S/O.
Another reason why I hate the fucking App Store, but I digress.

Thanks all and Blackal, that's the stuff I've read and it's (to me) scary; give me an engine to strip, no problem. Ask me to do more than turn a computer on and off and it's :eek:

Re making a back up, there is nothing on the lap-top I want to keep so I'm assuming no need to make a back-up ~ am I correct?

Andres

If I remember correctly, you'll need to know the Evil Step Daughter's iCloud password to log out of it or get her to do it.

Are you sure you don't want to back up the files so that you have ammunition to use against her.....? :augie

That would work for me, ta.

Just to confirm then, there's no need to separately wipe the HD, that will do it all?

Andres

The format does it.

Well it destroys the file system, rather than wipes the disk, so it looks wiped.

Unless it’s very sensitive data, it doesn’t need a full wipe just a format

. . . wipes the disk, so it looks wiped . . . it doesn’t need a full wipe just a format

Huh huh huh, you said wipe

Attachments

• 7A51DBB0-D686-40CE-ACA4-070676208F37.jpeg
    7A51DBB0-D686-40CE-ACA4-070676208F37.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 155
So, I had a little word with myself and plunged in, full wipe and reinstall..........

It worked :eek:

The little Mac Book Air now runs as fast as a fast thing ~ thanks all :thumb2

Andres

Saw this thread and just curious as I'm viewing it on an Imac. Not particularly computer savvy

With the Microsoft products when you bought a new computer you had the option and backed up on a removable drive or disc. Then when doing a re install it asked for the discs and off you went.

With the Mac products you are talking about reinstalling the OS. I ask the question 'where from'? Where are the original OS and applications stored ?

Where are the original OS and applications stored ?

There is a semi-hidden partition on the hard drive normally, with an OS restore package.
If the partition has been removed, the same thing can be done by connecting it to the internet.

It can quickly become quite an annoying process if you are trying to restore an older mac installing a different copy of macosx when the restore partition is missing.
While downloading from the internet the computer checks eligibility for the download against your AppleID or the AppleID tied to that machine.
AppleID is cancer.

Back
Top Bottom