My exhaust fell off

Auwyn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last week riding home, the front exhaust pipe detached itself from the rest of the bike.

When I took it to the garage, we discovered that this part is no longer made or in stock anywhere. He managed to weld it up somewhat prettily, but given the scarcity of this spare part for my bike, what happens when it goes wrong next time? I assume there are only so many times you are going to be able to weld it together.

Just thinking about the what ifs and the whens...

I find it hard to believe the part is no longer available?

Yours is a 990 IIRC? Any chance of a better description or photo of what failed?

Andres

There’s a legal obligation on manufactures to keep stock available for a certain time after a model run finishes. JJH

I find it hard to believe the part is no longer available?

Yours is a 990 IIRC? Any chance of a better description or photo of what failed?

950 2004.

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=ktm_fiche_finder

Part number 2

It completely came away at the part where the pipe joins the engine. Excuse my lack of correct terminology. Just fell off on the way home. Made for a musical journey, for sure. Trevor Pope website says 5-7 days delivery, but it is actually not stocked any more, anywhere, apparently.

There’s a legal obligation on manufactures to keep stock available for a certain time after a model run finishes. JJH

Ten years, so I am told. It's a 15 year old bike.

Yes 10 years. I’m not well up on KTM or anything else to be honest. Always have an opinion though. JJH

The front pipe?

bc3731f68dd7ee92df2faf743e39f497.png

I guess the answer to your question is;

1) Phone around dealers, someone somewhere must have on? I get all my stuff from Bikers Jersey (ad at the top of this page) who are pretty good at getting stuff.
2) 2nd hand; breakers/ebay/KTM forum
3) Fit a complete aftermarket system (not so cheap)
4) Get an exhaust fabricator to make up the section of pipe you need. Possibly the cheapest and neatest solution?

What actually failed, has the pipe itself fractured/snapped?

Andres

I guess the answer to your question is;

1) Phone around dealers, someone somewhere must have on? I get all my stuff from Bikers Jersey (ad at the top of this page) who are pretty good at getting stuff.
2) 2nd hand; breakers/ebay/KTM forum
3) Fit a complete aftermarket system (not so cheap)
4) Get an exhaust fabricator to make up the section of pipe you need. Possibly the cheapest and neatest solution?

What actually failed, has the pipe itself fractured/snapped?

Andres

Yes, from the looks of the diagram, the pipe came away from the part that connects it to the whojamaflip what you screw it on to the thingamajig with.

Have you been ragging it .... ?!

Most car oem's run on end of vehicle life +10years for spares manufacturing,

Although at year 8 or 9 will then do whats callled a lifetime purchase to cover life beyond the 10 years. then once its gone its gone (commonly known as new old stock)

Although as Opel found out thats not the case lol.

When the Opel Manta came to the end of production, and the obligatory 10 years spares production was up, many dealers still had inventory way into the late 2000's

One dealer still had a fair few bumpers in stock so advertised them on one of the many online enthusiast forums, at giveaway prices.

naturally these were snapped up within a few days .... end of story?? Not so, it turned out that the part was still live in the sales system, and as each bumper was sold, the stock levels

were reduced. when it hit the still live MOL (minimum order level), the system did what it was programmed to do and sent a reorder of parts to the supplier, who tooled up and ran another

1000 parts offf and shipped them off to Opel !

As Otto said, an exhaust fabricator may be your best bet, but it may not be cheap, however on the plus side, you will probably get a stainless steel set up ;)

Yes, from the looks of the diagram, the pipe came away from the part that connects it to the whojamaflip what you screw it on to the thingamajig with.

Was Andy's revised part number of any use?

Andres

PS Whojamaflip's are usually found in the gearbox, I think you may have meant a whatyoumacallit?

Last week riding home, the front exhaust pipe detached itself from the rest of the bike.

When I took it to the garage, we discovered that this part is no longer made or in stock anywhere. He managed to weld it up somewhat prettily, but given the scarcity of this spare part for my bike, what happens when it goes wrong next time? I assume there are only so many times you are going to be able to weld it together.

Just thinking about the what ifs and the whens...

All the 950/990s will do that eventually. Thin metal, heat and corrosion...the rear header will be next or perhaps the 2:2 manifold with beat it :)
I've already enquired about having some stainless headers made for my 950.

Back
Top Bottom