No instrument display

Wardy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, as in the title, came to start her after about 4 week lay up, and no display on the instrument panel at all, nothing !!! So been looking at the last thread, and before I start stripping everything off and taking apart, is there anything I can try or do before hand ? Have already checked fuses and all seem ok, will double check, and connections. As I remember, I had just given it a really good clean after a trip, so possible water ingress? Thanks in advance.

I presume the bike does still start, and that it's just the display that's currently u/s? It's plugged in firmly at the rear and there's no obvious stress or break in the loom around the headstock?

If so i'd guess you may be right; either water ingress into the display, or the plug/socket set up on the rear of it.

1st stage would be to open it and allow it to or ensure it is all dry. There are a couple of screws hidden under the labels on the back as well as the obvious ones.

If it's still u/s then suggest you could swap it with one from another g650x to confirm if it's at fault, or contact the firm John highlighted in the other thread to see whether they have the ability to diagnose it.

I think there was one on facebook and on ebay recently, but they were strong money.

Happy for you to post it to me to try it on my bike if that helps?

Cheers for the replies and info guys, going to "attack" it this afternoon .

Yes Gareth, bike starts and runs fine, just no display.

It does sound like water ingress . I would remove it and open it up to ensure it is dry . There are articles on the internet where others have sprayed a waterproof coating on the circuit board to protect it :

http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwxcountry/Dashboard/index.htm

As Gareth says also check the wiring plug connector for water and for good measure put some dielectric grease on the metal pins

If it still doesn't come to life Nova Electronics will be able to advise if it is indeed dead if you send it over to them

If all else fails a secondhand spare one but as said it wont be cheap :-(

A new one from BMW is over £600 !!

Instrument cluster
62 11 7 696 857

Got it sorted. To be perfectly honest I haven't got a clue what fixed it, I took apart all the connections sprayed them with WD, checked all fuses, cut the cable ties back that were tight, straightened the loom a tad, et voila, it works. I know I should of checked, step by step, but I was on a roll, was getting worried as you say john a new one is £600 and with my luck !!! So happy days, and a big thank you to guys who responded. Think I might take the top of one now.....cheers

Back
Top Bottom