Norway - The itch has been scratched

Awesome trip. I've spent a lot of time above the arctic circle fifteen years back in the Marines and I'd love to go there on the bike just to explore.

Excellent ride report and some great photos.....thanks for sharing them with us. :thumb2

Day 13

I awake to a lovely sunny morning and decide to go for a ride in the surrounding area.

I found a lovely road from the campsite to Austbo then the 362 along the shores of a large lake to Arabygdi then the E134 to Amot and the 37 through Hommo.

48777196641_e7346bef3e_c.jpg

I came out of a tunnel and thought “I recognise this.”

48776843988_73a126331d_c.jpg

48777188606_871458f4c9_c.jpg

48776843238_f326e6c874_h.jpg

48777189961_d0341ec971_c.jpg

An amazing feat of endurance for the commandos climbing down into this ravine and up the other side to attack the heavy water plant in the middle of winter and then escaping.

48777377852_2728c63e63_c.jpg

48776836008_640dc510cc_c.jpg

Carried on along the 37 through Rjukan and crossed over the runway of the Notodden airport along a cracking little road back to the campsite.

Went there in 1983, is the cable car still there? 15NOK to get to the top of Dalsnibba it was free in '83':D

A great trip with stunning photos and interesting text. Enjoyed it.:beerjug:

cant believe the cost of the reindeer skins I think I paid about 150Kr each for ours about £15

I'm glad you have all enjoyed my ramblings, at least it got you away from all the Br**it shite for a few minutes :thumb2:thumb2

Excellent! :thumb

Went on the Flam railway earlier this year, but it was snowing like feck and we couldn't see much.

P2040009-XL.jpg

Mark

Really enjoyed that ride report. Been to Norway many times for work but never for a road trip however after reading your report it's definitely on the list!

That was excellent, like many others it's on the to do list but the logistics have always been the issue.

Would be easier if you didn't lay up your bike after you'd just bought it? :augie

:D

It was 150NOK about £15 and the road is tarmac now with an expensive visitor centre at the top. :eek:

Road in '83' was grey shale no barriers and at the top just a parking area with a metal barrier stopping you from going over the edge. :eek::eek:

I will get back there one day.

Went to Norway in 2005 it was easy then from Ireland. Leave Belfast one morning wake up the next in Kristiansand off the ferry from Newcastle. Looking forward to getting back. Used huts bnb,s and a hotel during my trip. Bit damp in Norway for camping sometimes :). My avatar photo is from the trip. The road to Geiranger from the South was blocked by snow.......in June!

Great write up :thumb
I considered the Overlanders trip for a while but in the end decided to go to France again. Sorry now I didn’t go :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom