DFDS New ships!

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Interesting that those of us who go from Newcastle to Amsterdam to kick off our annual trips will have seen the last of King and Princess Seaways....new ships from the spring...

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/new-ships-2020

Still no sign of the usual discount for early birds.....

That link no worky...

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/about...oin-their-newcastle-amsterdam-route-this-year

Fuck it...nor does that one

​DFDS ANNOUNCE TWO NEW SHIPS TO JOIN THEIR NEWCASTLE-AMSTERDAM ROUTE THIS YEAR

Moby Wonder and Moby Aki will join the fleet in October 2019, sailing in early 2020

DFDS has entered into an agreement with Italian ferry company Moby to exchange two passenger ferries, with the focus of raising the onboard customer experience and capacity, for both passengers and freight customers.

Moby will acquire the two passenger ferries currently operating on the Newcastle to Amsterdam route — King Seaways and Princess Seaways, built in 1987 and 1986, respectively.

At the same time, DFDS will acquire two passenger ferries currently operated by Moby — Moby Wonder and Moby Aki, built in 2001 and 2005, respectively. The ships will be renamed when they join the fleet. The names are yet to be decided.

The ferries are expected to be delivered in the second half of October 2019 and will undergo significant refurbishment, including commercial and technical investments on board as well as port investments. ​

“​​Moby Wonder is 15 years old and Moby Aki is 19 years old. DFDS bought the vessels from Italian shipping company, Moby Lines. They will be fully refurbished and upgraded to DFDS standards before they join the Newcastle - Amsterdam route. King Seaways and Princess Seaways will be sold to Moby Lines.”

i quite like dfds from newcastle......
can we name one Boaty McBoatface this time please?

Are the keeping the cartoon livery? Would be apt for DFDS

320px-Ferry_Moby_Wonder_in_Livorno_on_22_Feb_2011.jpg

240px-Moby_Aki.jpg

Hey Gerard, you'll have to mix with the peasants though:rolleyes: NO COMMODORE CLASS on new ships:eek:
A local friend has already booked for next year (June?) but couldn't select COMMODORE! - so phoned them and they confirmed it is no more!

Cheers.................... Grizzly:beerjug:

Hey Gerard, you'll have to mix with the peasants though:rolleyes: NO COMMODORE CLASS on new ships:eek:
A local friend has already booked for next year (June?) but couldn't select COMMODORE! - so phoned them and they confirmed it is no more!

Cheers.................... Grizzly:beerjug:

EH!!

What to do now?

I'll need to hire a yacht.....

I'm still waiting in the hope of the usual early bird discounts.....saved a fair chunk last year. I fairness I've never actually booked Comode class....but I do always book a lower bed with windies cabin....can't cope with inside coffin class where there's a good chance of hearing every tappet movement in the engines. I also always dine in the all you can eat section....not cheap.....but I'm on me holidays!

Perhaps the reason there is no Commodore Class is that they are ALL Commodore Class?

Aye right!

I'll hold off for a wee while and see what discounts come along, although by the sound of it, they don't need to offer discount to fill the boat? I plan to cross in July, a couple of days in Switzerland with Jim Esson, and on to Loch Garda or similiar, with day trips to Venice etc on the train, and then back via Black Forest. Work in progress.

:thumb:thumb

inside coffin class where there's a good chance of hearing every tappet movement in the engines.

First time I ever sailed with them that's exactly what I got, never slept a fucking wink. However, this year we went cheap seats inside and it was perfectly fine, I too will await to see what appears, though not even looked yet. Is there prices up for next year yet ? Sure I booked around mid November last year.

OOOer...

'On 6 September 2019, DFDS entered into an agreement with the Italian ferry company Moby to acquire two ferries, Moby Wonder and Moby Aki, for deployment on the Amsterdam-Newcastle route.

The agreement was expected to be completed in the second half of October 2019, but Moby has unfortunately not been able to meet the delivery terms of the agreement. We're disappointed to share with you that the agreement has therefore been cancelled.

We will continue to explore solutions for a renewal of the ferries on the Amsterdam-Newcastle route in line with our customers’ wishes and our ambitions for the route. Both King and Princess Seaways will remain in service.'

Commodore forever!

That's your upper crust accomodation safe for another year Gerard:thumb:rolleyes:

Cheers....................Grizzly:beerjug:

DFDS now doing the !5% early booking discounts:thumb2 - all still on existing ships.

Checked price for outward early June, return end of June, for 1 bike, 2 adults and 2-berth inside cabins - shuffling dates for best price I got £236 return :bow

Not booked though as plans not sorted yet!

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

DFDS now doing the !5% early booking discounts:thumb2 - all still on existing ships.

Checked price for outward early June, return end of June, for 1 bike, 2 adults and 2-berth inside cabins - shuffling dates for best price I got £236 return :bow

Not booked though as plans not sorted yet!

Cheers.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

£226 for one bike and two people ? Sounds pretty good, sure when I booked in November last year we were about £190 each, two bikes, two people, one down in the dungeon cabin.

Back
Top Bottom