2009 R1200RT new lease of life

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just thought i would share my recent experiences in getting my bike mapped remotely, i had always fancied getting the bike mapped but in all honesty its due to me being so far from any of the tuning companies that its never been an option. I would have been in on some of the Hilltop tuning days but i never really managed to work this in with being down in the area for one thing or another.

I had a 2012 Twin Cam GS and had bought a set of AF-XIED and these were great on that bike, stupidly i sold the bike with them. So was going to buy a set for my 2009 but had come across the Treetop tuning page and so started talking with them, they are offering a service where you can send them your ECU and they will reflash it for you without needing the bike. This sounded great for me as i can get it done slow time and no need to visit them which works great for me being up in Inverness. I know there is a lot of debate over that of HT, i have never used their service so cant comment and dont want this to get into a bitch fight between the services, i just want to give my thoughts so that it helps anyone looking to get their bike mapped. Please Please dont put comments on and putting this into a debate between the two, this is just to give my thoughts on what TT have done for me. I am able to give a comparison between using a set of AF-XIED units on my twin cam over that of this new map. Granted this was on a twincam and my RT is a single cam hex head, however i know what the difference was like before and after with the Twincam when using the AF-XIED units. I am not saying anything bad about the AF-XIED units these worked very well for me but its the hassle of getting them from the states thats the only downside.

Got the ECU off and down to them last week (its not a big deal to get the tank off and ECU out sounds worse than it is), had great comms with regards to what was being done and how to the ECU. Turned the ECU around and was back with me last Friday. Fitted back into the bike on Saturday probably about an hour’s work and got to find out all the bits i didn’t need to take apart :D

Like i say its straight forward a process to get the ECU out, seems daunting at first as the tank needs to come off but its not that difficult, main issue is the control unit and ECU connections as they hadn’t been apart probably since the day it was built back in 2009 meant they were a bit of a struggle to come apart although a lot of it was me never taking them apart before. So a little electrical grease should help with anyone wanting them apart in the future with my bike.

So performed the throttle reset on the guidance from the guys since it’s a bench flash. Bike fired up straight away no issues, weather was pretty crap so damp roads with us and cold on Saturday. Once out on the road the difference is noticeable straight away, the bike is smoother and the dead spot through 3-4K revs is gone bike just pulls nicely all the way. Even letting the bike come down to say 35mph in 5th and then pull all the way is lovely you could never do this before and you wouldn’t really want to normally but wanted to see what it would be like.

4th gear is transformed it’s a totally different bike, might be too good as the speeds you get to quickly is quite amazing really. The difference is night and day and this was with crap roads and conditions, only did around 20miles but you don’t need much to feel the difference.

Got out on Sunday better weather and cover some more miles, it really is a different bike it feels so much better everywhere, whether it be overtaking through 3rd and 4th or whether be pulling the throttle in 5th and 6th just pulls so nicely everywhere. Its also smoother less vibey so im well impressed with it so far and cant wait to get some decent miles under the belt.

If you want to give your bike a new lease of life and you’re a fair distance from the tuners locations then getting the ECU remotely flashed is the way to go for sure. Such a simple process and its not that difficult to get the bike apart. If you have a Haynes manual and a bit of mechanical savvy then you will be fine. Just shout if anyone has any questions or would like something tried and I will see if I can answer.

Great job TT thanks for the new bike, it is transformed i would say more so than my Twincam was when using the AF-XIED units :beerjug:

Should of also said, if anyone is in the area and would like to try it out then dont mind going for a run out and allowing a shot if all the necessary insurances are in place.

Hi bud,

I am a recent buyer of a 2009 R1200RT and wondering if you can give me a bit more info on what you have done and the results you have found, mpg etc. I'm also in Inverness by the way and a new member on here.

Cheers
Gordie

Hi bud,

I am a recent buyer of a 2009 R1200RT and wondering if you can give me a bit more info on what you have done and the results you have found, mpg etc. I'm also in Inverness by the way and a new member on here.

Cheers
Gordie

Hi Gordie,

I’ve just had it mapped by treetop, they adjust the fueling across the range makes a big difference. You will probably feel your bike a little slow through the Rev range of around 3 to 4K rpm, the fuelling adjustment removes this so it pulls nicely all the way. Feel free to come and give it a try if you want sometime?

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark. Just moved from an XJR1300 to the RT so there is a huge difference in power. Can you indicate what sort of price range the remap was. I can tell you're impressed by it so might go down that line myself. I'll give you a shout at some point for a lether abot it if you're ok with that.

Gordie

Are you going on the Classic bike run on the 24th leaving from Nairn Harbour Cafe heading round some local roads. I'm planning it. Maybe see you there. I might be with my sone on his 650 Kwacker.

Are you going on the Classic bike run on the 24th leaving from Nairn Harbour Cafe heading round some local roads. I'm planning it. Maybe see you there. I might be with my sone on his 650 Kwacker.

Sorry Gordie, just seen this. No i was away on hols on this date and havent been on the formum much lately once thing or another. Drop us a PM with your details, more than welcome to pop around anytime as im off work for a couple of weeks over xmas and new year.

Thanks Mark. Just moved from an XJR1300 to the RT so there is a huge difference in power. Can you indicate what sort of price range the remap was. I can tell you're impressed by it so might go down that line myself. I'll give you a shout at some point for a lether abot it if you're ok with that.

Gordie

A standard XJR1300 less less power than a 2009 RT which in turn has less power than a FJR1300.

Beemerboy9

The XJR1300 was going to get me into lots of trouble if i kept it. It just wanted to go and keep going. I know the Rt also has a good turn of speed but it will still get me into trouble but take longer to get there plus the different riding style the RT has doesn't encourage you to go blasting as much. That's just my opinion and I feel happier on the RT now. Less pain from arthritis in my hip also helps a lot.

MPScott

I'll send on my details shortly.

Cheers guys.

Back
Top Bottom