1250GS Rallye vs S1000XR

Urban Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I posted this in the 1200 section but thought it relevant to post here as well.

So, i've been riding GSs of one form or another for the past 13 years or so. Started with the 1150 GSA SE then on to a 1200 GSA LC and now, most recently the 1250 GS Rallye. I've loved them all but i'm starting to wobble a little. Don't get me wrong they've all been fantastic bikes and each version has been an improvement over the previous version.. A friend of mine popped round at the weekend and he rides a S1000XR in the HP colours. He's added a few farkles and it has an Akra system (full) fitted to it. I heard him coming from the top of the road and went out to meet him and took a real shine to the XR. It looks great and the exhaust note sounds amazing even on tick over.. I really like the look of them and compared to the GS they look like they have the same riding position etc.

I never take my GS off road, it's used for the odd commute and touring holidays in Europe both in hotels and camping.. So i was wondering how the XR would compare to the GS for this type of use? In my eyes it's definitely more road focussed but appears to have similar touring capability although i'm not sure if it would accomodate all the camping gear compared to the GS?

Anyone jumped from the GS range to an XR? If so what are your thoughts?

I havn't owned the XR but I tried very hard to chose it before settling on the GS I have. The XR is much much faster than the GS and I would be quite happy doing a bunch of trackdays on one but they just don't have the ease of long distance touring that the GS has. The difference is the high reving / high compression engine that makes everything a bit hardcore. For me the thing that really wrote off the XR as a choice was the horrific vibrations through the bars and footpegs. It seems to be a lottery on what you get. One bike I test rode for a few hours was bearable but still gave me a worry about long distance touring but a second bike I took out was terrible and I came back with numb hands and feet after only an hour and a half of riding. Its a major issue for touring because it happens in the sleepy rev ranges where you spend most of your time when going long distance. Both bike were fine at high revs in the twisties.

They are certainly easier than a race bike because of the seating posture but I am very glad I went for the GS despite normally being on a race bike. One thing I have noticed that would probably favour the XR is that the GS is terrible for fuel economy at high speed if you are that way inclined. The GS doesn't really have an 'overrun' 6th gear so whereas I was getting about 130-140 miles per tank at 100ish mph, at 120-130mph it went right down to about 80 miles per tank. On a racebike and probably the XR I can usually get at least 100-110 miles from the tank at those speeds and it costs less to fill the smaller tank.

I hired a top spec S1000XR last year for a week to travel down to the San Marino MotoGP, on the way there we spent a few days riding through the Alps and coming home we did 800 miles in one day, mainly motorways.

Its a great bike, fast as you like, you could easily ride down to Jerez, do a few days on track and ride home again, its that versatile and that good. The seating position for me is slightly better than the GS, (I own a R1250GS) but the seat is firmer as is the suspension.

Now, the down side, for me it was the vibrations through the bars and to a much lesser extent though the foot pegs, at motorway speeds it got so bad that if the bike had not come with cruise control i would not have been able to ride it. Pick the speed up to 100+ (autobahns only me lord) or drop to 55/60 and they would disappear.

This and the the fact that the XR is coming up for a refresh were the reasons I got a GS, when the new XR comes out next year I will take one out for a few days and if they have fixed the vibrations I might even be tempted to get one, they really are that good.

Bars on mine don’t vibrate (bar end weights fitted)

Came from 10yrs of GSA ownership (SC and TC) and 50,000+ miles.

THe XR is much more satisfying for me, and it takes the same panniers and top box I would have on my GSA, together with a dry bag across the pillion seat when necessary.

Can’t see me going back - ever.

Did it vibrate before you fitted the bar ends @blackal ? I did read a few things that said it got better with a few miles and also if you check the clip on torques but there were so much conflicting opinions and the second bike I test rode was so bad that I just couldn't go with it. I would love to have something that could tour like the GS and then do a trackday.

I bought the bar ends in preparation for bike being delivered, as I believed the hype that they all vibrate. They dont all, apparently.

Never felt the need to take the weights off to check.

I had one, and loved it, Chris. Loads faster and more fun than the GS. With a full Akra, the sound it made was like an F1 car!

I had the HP seat, bar risers and the BMW CNC rear sets, which allowed you to lower the pegs, and it was as comfortable as any GS I've owned. The only caveat is that the suspension is a lot firmer, but it's still tolerable.

There's a new one coming out soon, so keep an eye out, and grab one off Dean for the day. You won't stop smiling!

If you want a combo of GS torque, and XR power, have a go on a 1290SAS though! :hide :JB

I have probably had most versions of BMW s offerings over the years, my last GS was a 1200 TE, which I PX’d for a Triple Black XR during the Summer and have added a few bits, as you do! I don’t have a bad vibration problem with mine and don’t have the heavy bar weights on it, performance is more than adequate, certainly noticeably quicker than the 1250 I tried, but then the 1250 is not a slug either and I would not rule out getting one in the future. Difficult choice I’d say.

Had a 2015 XR, changed it for a 1250GS TE but have now gone back to an XR. The 1250 is a brilliant bike, does all it says it does but it has, IMHO, no thrill factor. After a ride I didn't have that grin across my face that I always have on the XR. Just returned from a 10day trip around Southern Ireland and it was perfect for the job. Vibrations are no worse than the GS, riding position is the same and it's all day comfortable.

Brilliant bike. If they bring out an updated one next year with the new RR engine I'll swap in a flash.

After owning 3 GSA's and 3 RT's I was really due a change of engine and toke the XR out.....FFFFferkin hell, I fell in love with the thing and really have to ask peeps where these vibes are, I feel none through the bars (although they are there, if you take your hand off the bar and touch it, it's there) and I think I would have to wear slippers to feel any through the foot pegs. The riding position compared to the GSA is for me better, I had to put up/back bar risers on the GSA to stop the pain in the shoulders whereas I don't need them on the XR.
This thing really shouldn't handle as good as it does and yes that's down to the suspension being firmer.....It is a road bike and doesn't have any pretention of be an off roader, although you can take ANY bike off road.
it will carry the same amount of luggage as a GS...infact....The vario topbox fits straight on the rack although it's not as roomier as the GSA for pillions and don't expect much more that 40/45 to the gallon.

Just as a guide to bike and rider, I'm 5.11 and have had knees replaced. The gloves I'm wearing are BMW 2 in one and boots are made by Altburg....The bike is a triple black

The things I would change are.
It really does need tyre pressure monitors.
Keyless... the last GSA Rallye was and I do miss it now.
Better lights. The ones fitted are candle powered but seeing as I rarely ride in the dark, I don't miss them.

Overall I would definitely say the XR is great on the road BUT that doesn't make it a better bike! The GS/GSA isn't great at any one thing but good at everything....if that makes sense.

I came over to an XR almost 3 years ago after the better part of a decade on 2 x 1200 GSA's. The XR will do everything on a road which the GS will do (albeit a lot faster).

I love the bike, although my only (initial) reservation was getting used to an in-line 4 engine again and the (relative) high revs; I found myself trying to get up the box as quickly as possible to keep the revs down but that phase has passed and I love the noise she makes (full Akra system). The vibration seems to be a bit of a lottery and I cant say I notice mine to be any worse than my previous GSA's or my current little R9T.

I was over on the West Coast on my one a couple of weeks ago for a few days and she was faultless. 2 up touring with panniers, back box and tank bag and it was every bit as enjoyable as the GSA and I was getting circa 160 miles to the tank.

I have changed the seat and the screen on my one, raised the bars slightly and put on rear-sets and she is as comfortable as any of my previous GSA's.

They are quick - almost addictively so......:thumb2

I do not think you will regret much if you get one.

Will they be a new model this year ?

I doubt if it will be available in the UK this year but there has been much speculation about the new "2020" model.

I went into my local Stealer to enquire about it last month and they couldn't / wouldn't give me any spec but still wanted a (non-refundable) deposit for the new bike......

Will they be a new model this year ?

Apparently so. ;)

When I spoke to someone at Bahnstormer, he said it’ll have LED headlights, the same as on the RR, the TFT screen as on the GS, but was unsure about any engine updates.

It will likely be announced at the shows but it will not be available until next year due to the same RR engine production delays I would have thought. The RR are coming through now but there's a fair back log.

That's the bike that could tempt me back to BMW.

The boss of BMW Motorrad on hearing the news that they may be saved from going under by the return of The Prodigal Slaphead

38cf32e600562681a2652291df53ae11.jpg

Meanwhile,news of Der Nutster könnte zurückkehren reached the Frankfurt Stock Exchange

07bd5ca7919274fdffb6afef9f38d14d.jpg

And staff at BMW were given the possible news

69594b925194403b654c22ede7d0fc8d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom